• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How we Present our Villains

K.S. Crooks

Maester
The main thing is that villains aren't villains in their own eyes.
They have full justification - and the reader should be able to see that self justification - and the reasoning behind what they do.

If that justification is really weak - then they are terrible pantomime villains.
The more compelling reasons and justifications for their villainy - the better the villain.

Great evil can be done with good intent.

I totally agree with Terry. Justification for the evil deeds can be very important even if it is not rational. True evil or crazy people/beings don't see themselves that way. I love in the Batman movie Dark Knight, whenever someone calls the Joker crazy he instantly focuses on that and says "I'm not..." he refuses to even say the word crazy, because he sees himself as a visionary. It's nice to have the same options are available to the heroes in your stories to look various ways.

To adult readers a villain that seems in every other way normal is usually more scary. Hannibal Lecter and Norman Bates are far scarier than Dracula or The Wicked With of the West . To children I think the opposite is true and don't even get me started about the flying monkeys.

My villains tend to have quite a variety of appearances. Some look more obviously evil than others. The thing though, is that there's usually a reason for them to look that way if they do look evil. It all just depends on how the character works within the story. I do like the juxtaposition that you created between the antagonists fortress and the surrounding area. Such opposing images can create a really cool look. This is why I always liked the look of Satan in the Constantine film. The white suit contrasted amazingly with the oily substance that covered his hands and feet. It was very simple, but still very intimidating. But yeah, like I said the look and feel of the antagonist just depends on what works and flows within the story that you are creating. At least, that's my opinion xD

In my main story, the main antagonist who is a banished god is titled the lord of shadows, the prince of darkness, the black emperor because of his power over the forbidden and secret black magics. His realm is a vortex of black winds and frozen wastelands of tormented spirits. But his palace is one of bright and shinning light and while the rest of his children are deformed and ugly from centuries of dark magic perverting their forms, I describe him as a being of radiating light, with a smooth and elegant face, wearing clean robes and a beautiful crown of silver through his white hair. I feel like his qualities are what make him terrifying, not just by what he looks like. And again it's not that I don't have a problem with portraying villains are grotesque or anything like that (Think is Lovecraft made his creations in a more pleasant demeanor. The whole appeal of those monsters is their alien physiology)

How do you go about presenting your villains? Are they just normal people? Are they deformed? Are they heathen gods warped by hatred?

You might want to re-think the title your villain goes by, it's a bit on the cliche side.

Darth Vader is a great example of a villain that is initially portrayed as an unfeeling tyrant, but in reality he is a tragic figure. He can't be dismissed as purely a villain.