1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

If You Were A God What Would You Be God Of?

Discussion in 'Writing Discussions' started by ShadeZ, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Devor

Devor Fiery Keeper of the Hat Moderator

Ooh, everyday items used by every person alive. That doesn't sound low stress. That sounds like getting yelled out every two seconds over petty spills and damp towels. Take it from someone who knows, that sounds dreadful.

Dark Lord Thomas Pie and ShadeZ like this.
  2. skip.knox

skip.knox toujours gai, archie Moderator

Just cuz they yell doesn't mean I have to listen. <g> 'Course, I figure that might go for God of Harvest or anything else.

Actually God of Anything Specific just seems silly to me. It presumes, first of all, that a god--all gods, really--have clearly staked out their respective jurisdictions *and* that those boundaries correspond to how humans perceive the world. Also, the notion is peculiarly provincial. If I'm, say, God of Wind, am I also God of Solar Winds? God of Martian Wind? Am I God of Wind but really there's another god, of terrestial rotation, that underlies my own ability to influence ... aw, never mind. God of Hand Towels, me. And before you ask, there's another set of gods handling production and sales and distribution.

3. Ban

Ban Sir Laserface Article Team

God of Pedantry it is!

4. skip.knox

skip.knox toujours gai, archie Moderator

No, no, not pedantry. Pendantry. God of Hanging Around.

Edit: was that pedantic?

5. Svrtnsse

Svrtnsse Staff Article Team

Don't forget the Oh God of Breaking Wind.

6. You'll be pestered by hitchhiker's who lost their's all day long. Doesn't sound low stress at all...

Dark Lord Thomas Pie likes this.
  7. SinghSong

SinghSong Dreamer

Futility, most likely. Or failure, or ill fortune.

ShadeZ and Dark Lord Thomas Pie like this.
  8. D. Gray Warrior

D. Gray Warrior Troubadour

I'd be the god of pizza and soda. Honoring me allows pizza delivery times to be sped up.

However, putting pineapple on pizza is a mortal sin worthy of holy war.

pmmg, ShadeZ and Dark Lord Thomas Pie like this.
  9. Insolent Lad

Insolent Lad Inkling

Were I a Greek god, I would be Hephaestus, pottering about in my workshop and grumbling about that Ares making eyes at my woman, er, goddess.

10. ShadeZ

ShadeZ Sage

Ah I have one of these too. Nihil the draconic goddess of memory loss, absence of thought, nothingness, void, and anti-death. She is constantly bickering with Mergatroid the dragon god of time, presence, magic, creation, and balance. Mergatroids son and daughter fight Nihil's cult of followers who believe the world shoudl be consumed by nothingness and dragons should rule supreme.

Dark Lord Thomas Pie likes this.
  11. ChasingSuns

ChasingSuns Sage

The god of liminal space. Forever changing, always in flux. Probably would end up also being the god of existential crises :p Due to this constant change, I would also constantly both exist and not exist (Schrodinger's god?).