1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Kill this Thread

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Philip Overby, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Devor

Devor Fiery Keeper of the Hat Moderator

I don't know about the specific fantasy sub-genre - probably Young Adult - but every book of the Harry Potter series is a different one of the classic seven genres.

1 - Puzzle (there's a series of challenges - even before the end - they have to figure out . . . it's not a mystery: The whole book, they think they know who the bad guy is, they aren't trying to figure it out.)
    2 - Mystery (they're looking for the killer in an ongoing series...)
    3 - Horror (crazed escaped killer with a knife, werewolf, dementors...)
    4 - Quest/Challenge - (Triwizard Cup, and even the ending, are dangerous episodes our hero faces alone and has to survive.)
    5 - Tragedy (Harry has a weakness for heroism, someone dies for it - but there's also a long list of people who's faults were pointed out to have caused the end, including Dumbledore's and the victim's)
    6 - Comedy (there's humor, romance, you see the bad guy crying, the reader already knows much about what's going on, the hero is portrayed as crazy even when he's right, even the big-bad-thing-at-the-end ..... well, spoilers)
    7 - Action

So . . . take your pick.

2. Addison

Addison Auror

When it comes to movies or TV shows, mostly movies, the originals are always better. Prime examples: Halloween, Friday the 13th.

3. I wouldn't say always. There are at least a few remakes/reboots that are better than the original/previous incarnation. Among remakes, I'd count Ocean's 11, Little Shop of Horrors, The Thomas Crown Affair, The Italian Job, and 3:10 to Yuma as better than the originals. (There's some older films that were nonetheless remakes of even older films, like Ben-Hur and The Maltese Falcon, too, that were better than the originals.)

And it's not hard to think of sequels that were better than the original. (Or at least that I liked more. ;)) Terminator 2, The Empire Strikes Back, Aliens, The Godfather Part II, Spider-Man 2, X2: X-Men United, Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol... mostly action and sci-fi, it seems :)

4. Devor

Devor Fiery Keeper of the Hat Moderator

Film has its strengths and weaknesses, and a story that plays into those strengths might very well do better on screen. Some forms of good writing will also sink into a screenplay. And then there's ways where the screenplay is like a second draft - there's a dozen more writers looking it over.

A lot of times the movie looks worse because you want it to be the book you've read. Of course, they screw up plenty of films and abuse a work just to exploit the fanbase - it happens with books based on the movie/game, too - but I think there's plenty of times they make an honest effort and do it right.

5. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

Reaver in Hospital

Reaver is in the hospital now. He was rather casual about it--"The doctors didn't like my CT scan so I'm being held hostage by the VA hospital."--so hopefully he's doing alright, but he wanted you to know he'll be offline for a while.

6. The Blue Lotus

The Blue Lotus Auror

SideKick, I hope you are not being serious? :eek:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  7. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

I wouldn't kid about that... though Reaver says not to worry, just that he'll be offline for a while.

8. The Blue Lotus

The Blue Lotus Auror

Will keep him in my prayers. Thanks.

9. gavintonks

gavintonks Maester

as a great dane expert the biomass field in the bottom left hand corner of my garden is sufficient to light kansas, buy just burning it

10. gavintonks

gavintonks Maester

hope reaver is doing well and he does not having anything doctors can get an award or nobel peace prize for

Reaver likes this.
  11. Reaver

Reaver Kwisatz Haderach Moderator

Thank you Gavin! Nothing too serious, thanks!

12. gavintonks

gavintonks Maester

great to hear, Reaver

Reaver likes this.
  13. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

*sneaks in*

*covers thread in confetti and streamers*

*sneaks out*

Reaver likes this.
  14. Philip Overby

Philip Overby Staff Article Team

What's that? You want to post more inane, pointless crap? Well, have it!

Thread REVIVED!

15. In his house in R'lyeh, thread Cthulhu lies sleeping

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  16. Philip Overby

Philip Overby Staff Article Team

Wake him up. I need to ask him something.

17. T.Allen.Smith

T.Allen.Smith Staff Moderator

Wow. It's been awhile.

Welcome back undead thread!

18. gavintonks

gavintonks Maester

The Zombi thread - it will have its own dance number soon

19. FatCat

FatCat Maester

I once owned a parakeet, his name was Steven. That is all.

Reaver likes this.
  20. Reaver

Reaver Kwisatz Haderach Moderator

I ate a pluot today. It's also known as a dinosaur egg. It was good.