• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Motivation?

MAndreas

Troubadour
Ok, this isn't really a writing craft question, but not sure where else to put it.

This is a "how do you keep yourself consistantly writing" question ;).

I've been having some serious writing mojo issues lately, and just can't seem to focus on getting it done.

When I get stuck in a book I usually jump around story wise and write out of order. But I'm working on a project way out of my comfort zone- and it's a flipping novella (weird length, don't like it) so I can't really hop around.

URGH!

Any of you have ideas? How do you keep writing?

JCFarnham

Auror
I don't keep writing haha So if you figure out the secret to consistant motivation I'd love to hear it!

Often after a minute of staring at my manuscript and typing nothing I'll give up. Perhaps not such a good thing in terms of productivity, at all in fact, but I prefer to write when its not a chore. For me writing is a relaxing past time, I unwind in the creation of my stories, so if it turns into work I go off and do something else.

Maybe thats a bit of advice for you. If you find yourself staring at the "blank screen" then go for a walk or something. I have a fairly manual job, and I can switch off to the task at hand and just think and imagine... I'm not suggesting everyone get jobs as labourers but a similar idea might be to go and do some house work, something that doesn't require thinking about. It frees up the mind.

Since getting this job I've definitely been more productive on the ideas front (still not writing enough though).

MAndreas

Troubadour
LOL!! Well, maybe someone on here will give us the secret JC ;). I usually am ok if I set a tiny goal- say "you must do at least 500 words". I got out of the worry of writing crap during a few years of NaNoWriMo- I can edit crap, can't edit a blank page. But this time it's awful! Just getting my butt in the chair is difficult.

Or, I play online- like now...here I am, whinning about writing, and I've only done two hundred words. SIGH.

Ok, well thanks for the ideas JC, now I'll get back and write. If I pop up here again -ask me how many words I've done. If it's not a 1,000 at least- SMACK me!

Geesh, maybe I need to try that "write or die" site.... I am a sad case this week-end!

Xanados

Maester
I write a short sample mostly every day and published it on my blog. It is a great way to keep up prodoctivity. It's a great warm-up, too.

MAndreas

Troubadour
Thanks Xanados and TWErvin2

I like the idea of a short sample on a blog- might look into that :). I currently only blog once a week (and twice a month on a group blog) but I'd like to increase the blog as well, this might help both.
Also like the forced time in a chair. If I just make myself sit for an hour after work each day with NO internet, I might just write in self-defence of the boredom.

Good ideas- thanks!
(and yes, I hit my 1,000 words right now-;).)

Amanita

Maester
I'd like to know too.
For some reason, I'm most motivated to write if I don't have any time to do it such as during the last two weeks. ;) I need to be busy with something else to get ideas, during holidays it doesn't work for some reason. I hope that the motivation will continue now though. ;)
Unlike for some others, forcing myself to write doesn't really work. The result usually is absolutely bad. Of course, some of you say, better something bad than nothing at all, but I think this time could have been put to a more useful purpose. That's why I don't get along very quickly, trying to write for a living probably wouldn't be the right thing for me. ;)

MAndreas

Troubadour
I hear ya Amanita. Alas, for some insane reason, I do want to be a career novelist (I'll be seeking professional mental help soon:)). So, I know I need to build up a more stable writing life.

SIGH...writing is often like going to the gym for me- I like HAVING gone/done it ;).