• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Movies/TV 2014

Reaver

Staff
Don't hold your breath. Shredder is White. For absolutely no reason.

Shredder is white for the same reason that kid in The Last Airbender was, or Raiden in the first Mortal Kombat movie or why Bruce Lee didn't get to star in the TV series Kung Fu. A show he co-created and yet got no credit for. Just more Hollywood BS.

Since they're doing all these remakes and reboots, I think that they should reboot the Harry Potter films.

Last edited:

Jabrosky

Banned
Movies I'm looking forward to,
- Hercules: The Thracian Wars, which is the better of the two Hercules films coming out this year since this one has The Rock. Also, the other one has like 2% on Rotten Tomatoes.
I just saw the first Hercules movie (the Legend of Hercules one), and honestly the Disney movie was more entertaining and mythologically accurate than that dreck. Its low rating is well-deserved.

SeverinR

Vala
Monster movies, Personally, I liked the old movies. The new ones are no where near as good. I have yet to see a good monster movie remake.

Frankenstein; looked interesting in trailer.
HTTYD 2, been waiting for it since I saw 1.

I think Hercules are like monster movies, they got modern CG and effects so they figure they can forget about the story.

Burned out on Super-heros. Endless Batman remakes, many Spiderman remakes, only one interested in is WW. Her tight airplane and see through clothes...wait, thats backwards. lol. WW is not scheduled for release until 2015.

SeverinR

Vala
Game of thrones season 3 release date is today. (Have not ordered mine yet.)
Season 4 will begin April 6 2014.

Kingdom of baddassdom seems to have been such a small release area, there is no where to see it.
Maybe I'll catch it on dvd.

Last edited:

Mindfire

Istar
Like most people, I rolled my eyes when I heard there was going to be another Transformers sequel. I liked the first one, I liked *moments* in the second one, and I haven't gotten around to seeing the third one yet although I will at some point. So I figured Transformers 4 would just be another "yeah, sure. maybe later" film for me.

AND THEN I SAW THIS.

Transformers-Age-of-Extinction-Grimlock.jpg

Yes, that is Optimus Prime wielding a giant sword while riding on a robot T-rex (Grimlock). Curse you, Michael Bay. Now I'm sold.

Jabrosky

Banned
I have to say Pompeii pleasantly surprised me tonight, even if most critics have spurned it. At least I liked the plot thread of the Celtic slave and the African champion he befriends.

Ophiucha

Auror
I'm interested in Pompeii. I'm sure it's not going to be a masterpiece, but it's a director who can toss together a decent action flick, some good actors, and what I'd assume is a high enough budget to get an alright looking volcano effect or two. Also, I heard he decided to make Pompeii look 'authentic', and the classics geek in me who adores the remains of Pompeii is interested to see his attempt.

Reaver

Staff
Like most people, I rolled my eyes when I heard there was going to be another Transformers sequel. I liked the first one, I liked *moments* in the second one, and I haven't gotten around to seeing the third one yet although I will at some point. So I figured Transformers 4 would just be another "yeah, sure. maybe later" film for me.

AND THEN I SAW THIS.

Transformers-Age-of-Extinction-Grimlock.jpg

Yes, that is Optimus Prime wielding a giant sword while riding on a robot T-rex (Grimlock). Curse you, Michael Bay. Now I'm sold.

No Shia Labeouf so this one is already a hundred times better.

I don't know if anyone checked it out yet, but I ran across Vikings on the history channel and it was really good.

There are always inaccuracies when someone does these types of things, but overall it is a solid B+.
The second season started last week, but the first season can be found online or on Netflix.
If you have time to kill, and don't mind a lot of blood splattered all over everything it is worth a look-see.
:)

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I don't know if anyone checked it out yet, but I ran across Vikings on the history channel and it was really good.

There are always inaccuracies when someone does these types of things, but overall it is a solid B+.
The second season started last week, but the first season can be found online or on Netflix.
If you have time to kill, and don't mind a lot of blood splattered all over everything it is worth a look-see.
:)

I'm always a little leery of anything the History Channel has to offer, but I heard Vikings is good. I don't mind blood splatter, because quite frankly violence is surprisingly messy.

Maybe it's time to turn on the DVD option on the ol' Netflix subscription, with Game of Thrones Season 3 out and a couple other things out now, too. :p

Ophiucha

Auror
I haven't started Season 2 yet, but the first one was alright. I didn't like the main guy much, but the supporting characters were great.

Hannibal s2 just started, too. That show is... surreal as heck. I mean, it's not fantasy, but there are some dream sequences that could qualify. The first episode of the new season has at least three shots of Dr. Lecter as a pitch black figure with deer horns. And I'm pretty sure his sense of smell could qualify as a super power, at this point.

SeverinR

Vala
Ordered Game of thrones season 3
and to get free shipping (still had money from a gift card)
also bought HG catching fire, release date is 3-7-14 if I remember correctly.
So I haven't received them yet.

"Carrie" the remake was surprisingly good. I think I like it even better than the original.
Bought Carrie(BR) and Kick ass II(DVD) at the video store for less than $16.

Last edited by a moderator:

SeverinR

Vala
UPdate;
HTTYD 2 is getting closer, trailer soon to be released. June 13

"Heaven is real", sounds interesting, although I think it might be a religious chick flick.
"Haunted house 2"-was kind of let down with the first, but might watch for the trailer to see if it might be better then the first.
"Godzilla"-May 10
"Xmen" May 23
"Maleficient" may 30
"Purge, Anarchy"-June 20 (sequel to the purge 2013)
Dawn of the planet of the apes-July 11.
Paranormal activity 5? Is there a need for 5? Oct 24
Hunger games Nov21
The hobbit Dec 17
Nght at the museum 3 Dec 19

Last edited:

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
We saw this last night and rather enjoyed it...

Dragon's World: A Fantasy Made Real (The Last Dragon) - Rotten Tomatoes

It's available on DVD from Netflix, and, no, it's not a 2014 release (it's 2004). They bill it as an "alternate scientific history." Granted, their idea of what passes for science made me cringe on several occasions, the story framework is a little silly at first, and there were a couple glaring plot holes. BUT, if you use an extra heavy duty bungee cord to suspend disbelief, it really is quite clever and enjoyable. There is a mating flight sequence towards the end that just about makes up for all the flaws. Even I, stickler for accuracy and plausibility that I am, finished the flick smiling.

What's with the remakes? aren't there any good writers in Hollywood anymore? The only movies on your list that I will be watching are HTTYD2, hunger games and the hobbit.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
We saw Captain America: The Winter Soldier the other night and I was extremely impressed. It is a marked improvement over the first Captain America movie (I think the script writer - or maybe the studio execs - needed to be beaten about the head and shoulders with the manuscript), but the themes - Idealism and Humanitarianism in the face of the Modern Era of Cynicism and Fear, as well as questioning the nature of Freedom - are actually a little challenging, which continues the trend superhero movies have taken lately and is something I like to see.

Another thing that I loved was the gender balance on the protagonists' side. Black Widow was present, but this time she did not play the lone Strong Female Character. It was a pleasant surprise. On the other hand the antagonists were, without notable exception, all batting for Team Testosterone. Maybe next time? But still, not too bad.

Jabrosky

Banned
This new Maleficent is like the Coke Zero of evil. She does one villainous thing out of revenge, but the rest of the time she's like a fairy godmother who doesn't take too long to regret that curse. Her movie was all right, I guess, but it was a real departure from the original Sleeping Beauty.