Myth's Anime Thread

Discussion in 'Film & Television' started by Mythopoet, Dec 5, 2013.

1. I'm almost done watching Mononoke. It's such a unique and fascinatingly surreal series. The fact that Takahiro Sakurai voiced the lead Mononoke-slaying Medicine Seller makes it even better. It's too bad it only has 12 episodes.

2. FifthView

FifthView Istari

I watched The Dragon Prince on Netflix.

I really liked it, but the biggest drawback is that it's way, way, way too short for a season. It's almost all set-up, too. I've read vague comments that the whole thing might have epic proportions by the end of the story, but I shudder to guess how long that will be.

There were problems. I'd checked out the trailer on YouTube, and the many comments relating to the herky-jerky frame rate were accurate. I mostly stopped noticing by the end of S1 however.

The only other big gripe I had centered on the fact that large parts of the writing followed a kind of rule: Must have a ridiculous joke, from every single character, every two or three lines of spoken dialogue.

Related: Unearned anachronisms. That might not be quite the right word, since this is a fantasy world and who knows what kind of technology or cultural elements might exist there. For example: mentions of peanut butter—for the jokey attitude, one presumes. Then there is the all-too-obvious reference to Game of Thrones as one character says something like, "Winter is coming...eventually." There are other examples of things being mentioned that don't seem to fit the world as presented.

OH and this: A king sleeps fully clothed in the outfit he'll wear throughout? Ok, I guess.

On the whole, it seems corners were cut.

3. Are Code Geass and Ayashi no Ceres worth checking out?

4. Mythopoet

Mythopoet Dark Lord

I tried watching the dub of Ayashi no Ceres and couldn't get more than 2 episodes in. Undoubtedly the sub would be better, but the animation is pretty low quality and very old.

Code Geass is a high quality anime (and actually has a good dub) but I really have no idea if you would like it or not.

5. I might try it out, and see.

I still haven't watched Ah My Goddess or Princess Tutu. *sigh*

6. MrBrightsider

MrBrightsider Acolyte

Code Geas is one o' dem MASTAPIECES. It's definitely worth checking out.

Also, for anyone who wants an analysis on how good characters can make a story about nothing exciting, check out the Bakemonogatari series. And, of course, as MythopoetMythopoet's icon so succinctly suggests: Holo is universal best girl, so watch Spice and Wolf.

Mythopoet likes this.