• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

NaNoWriMo 2017!

Fluffypoodel

Inkling
A little over 3k tonight and 3k yesterday (I don't think I posted here yesterday...) Moving into the second chapters for my characters and things are moving, if not as smooth as I thought then at least they are moving. My worry for maintaining my momentum is all but gone so that is a good thing to report! We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Chessie2

Staff
Article Team
Okay, 2088 for me and still on track. I could have kept going but I want to enjoy my Friday night with a good book. Figured I'd put a tiny sample in today's post (the characters are seeking help from a mage's guild in another province):

Elenaril shivered as she trudged through the snow. By Styr, how she hated snow! It was wet and cold and messy. She detested the way it soaked through the hem of her gowns, chilled her bones and made the tips of her fingers numb. Not to mention it was always gray after a good snowfall and such depressing weather fouled her moods. It snowed heavily in Caramil during the winter months, casting an unwelcome gloom over the mountains and socking them in with fog. Those were some of the most boring days of her life holed up in her bedchamber next to the fire reading or stitching. Thankfully, the temperate forests of Rivenfell did not experience the same fate and for that, she was grateful.

Last edited:
I have a little fewer than two hours remaining today and am beginning to despair I'll not reach the final word count for Nano. I've written most of the day, beginning before noon, with short breaks and one two-hour nap to recharge. The writing has been good, I'm into the flow of the chapter, but when I look at the word count—Gah! Any day I didn't meet that day's goals has set me back further than I thought. But who knows. I have five more vacation days and the story is hitting the most exciting parts as I creep up to the inciting event and will have the carrot of the first act's end dangling before me after that.

Fluffypoodel

Inkling
I have a little fewer than two hours remaining today and am beginning to despair I'll not reach the final word count for Nano. I've written most of the day, beginning before noon, with short breaks and one two-hour nap to recharge. The writing has been good, I'm into the flow of the chapter, but when I look at the word count—Gah! Any day I didn't meet that day's goals has set me back further than I thought. But who knows. I have five more vacation days and the story is hitting the most exciting parts as I creep up to the inciting event and will have the carrot of the first act's end dangling before me after that.
Carrots are delicious. Keep up the good work!

2279 today. A surprise, but I'm moving into exciting waters. Total so far is 15,510 words.

I finished the long first scene of chapter 3 and am facing a big decision. Normally, given what happened in that scene, I'd be doing a smallish sequel scene after. But I'd planned a major surprise/event at the end of the third chapter. That would work well also. It's probably what I'm going to do. A short sequel, a handful of paragraphs, and then KABOOM at the very end of the chapter.

Antonius

Scribe
Haven't felt the best since waking up this morning, had a migraine and suffered from fatigue as well. I managed to get 1,154 done today.

However, I took it pretty easy today and worked on coming up with scene's to progress the story. It's coming along nicely.

I'm going to have to delay the actual writing and collect my notes. I've been pantsing, so chapters 1-3 are chock-a-block full of names made on the spot: generals, earls, vassals, land holdings, sorcerers, kings, queens, functionaries, servants, a mountain range, forests, a bay, a sea, a river...etc.

I'm losing track of these and what I've previously said about them, heh! The little binder system in Scrivener is great, and I've been adding many of them to files there as I progress. But not all, and not with some of the details/descriptions. So I'm going to organize everything today before I jump into the writing.

Fluffypoodel

Inkling
Did close to 4k tonight. I had hoped that I would be cruising through edits but I find that the beginning of the book is not what I thought it would be. I mean I wrote it but I also change the story significantly over the two years since it was written. I guess I shouldn't be surprised but I find I am completely rewriting chapters instead of using what I had. I'm not complaining its just a little different than what I though the rewrite would actually be.

Yippee ki-yay, I did 3211 today.

I'm caught up to the average I needed for Nano.

Sure, there are possibly problems. I'm still working on chapter three, and it alone is over 7K. I could list other things but, meh, it'll all work out in the end.

Chessie2

Staff
Article Team
My foot condition flared up yesterday and I only got 630 words in. After work, I was tired, moody, and in pain. Today, the foot is fine but I have the worst cramps ever. Will be trying to hit up the writing here im a bit once the meds kick in. Ugh fml

Gah, I'm pressing on tonight, but I had a major time-killing foible.

Before the first word on this project was written, I'd created the perfect name for a major character. Basically, one of four major characters for the whole tale. But while writing chapters 1-3, I had to brainstorm the name of one of the other major characters. Came up with something great.

Then BAM! near the end of the third chapter when this character I've been planning to introduce finally appears, I realize his name on paper looks a lot like that name I created on the spot for the other character. Two and a half hours later, I manage to find another name I could live with. Time lost from writing.

I managed 1761 for the day. Gonna call it an early day. Finished chapter three finally and it sits at 8969 words. I can see how maybe I could cut it into two chapters, but the arc of the whole thing is pretty good as-is.

Chessie2

Staff
Article Team
400 words today. I'm pretty sick. Not sure if I'll make the NaNo word count as I'm pretty behind. Honestly, I'm not sure I care. This book is 3/4 of the way completed and I accomplished that by plowing through 2-3k word counts. NaNo has coincided with the part in a manuscript that always slows me down, which is close to the end. We'll see what happens but I'm not torn up over it.