• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

NaNoWriMo 2017!

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Lost. Lost and wandering. I'm not in the Great Swampy Middle, but in the Great Unfinished Jungle. Ironically, the Jungle is of my own construction. I dashed about planting until I no longer know where I am.

Spreadsheets to the rescue. The only way (for me) to recover any sense of direction is to zoom out to the chapter level. For each chapter I number it, title it, count the words, write a sentence or phrase for each scene within it, and write a very few sentences as to what I can see needs to be done (delete, rewrite, expand, merge, that sort of thing).

I did that exercise today--takes a couple hours. Only now do I see that I don't have nearly as much in Act 3 as I thought I did, and I have more duplication than I thought I did in the earlier chapters (including one where I have two entire versions). This will help me tomorrow as I lay out an action plan. Then it's off to Washington (state) for my son's 40th birthday, so nothing will get done till next week.

That's ok. My goal for Nano was to get to First Draft. I have about 72k written and now can be fairly confident that the novel will come in between 80k and 90k. Right on target, mirabile dictu. Not sure I'll get First Draft completely done by November 30, but one must try, else what's a Nano for?

1182 today. I'm very nearly finished with chapter two.

Sitting at 11,102 total. Long chapters. :eek:

Will probably finish this chapter with another 100-150 words.

Antonius

Scribe
2537 today. Would have done more but I kept fooling around on Canva. :D
Don't give up! Even if it's just a few words a day, don't give up!

You can do it!! Don't give up!!

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm definitely not giving up on this.

I've managed to reach over 10k words tonight, after converting two handwritten pages into 2,395 words. Would like to do more but calling it a night as I've got work in the morning.

gia

Scribe
I'm 1000 words behind my daily goal. Someone's got be the devil's advocate!

But I did finish the chapter and map out the next!

Fluffypoodel

Inkling
A little over 2k tonight. Its my first night not pushing past 3k but I'm okay with it. Wednesdays are probably going to be my weak days since I have prior commitments that Are just the worst. (Class that I have to take so that I can get a state mandated certificate so my school doesn't get fined for me not having one... oh the pressure). Feeling good about week one being over and looking forward to what the rest of the month has to brings. Great job everyone!!

A measly 416 words today. Exhaustion is finally catching up, so I'm getting diminishing returns from losing sleep. Who'd've known? (y)

I actually decided to take my vacation days starting tomorrow. Haven't used vacation days in seven years! I was telling a coworker I thought maybe I should just go on vacation and use the time to write and relax some, and she said go for it and I did. So if nothing crazy happens, I should be able to catch up to my word count goals.

I finished chapter two at least, and I have a very solid idea of the arc of chapter three. All heck blows up at the end. Literally but not literally. Nothing will be the same ever after...

But now, to bed.

Chessie2

Staff
Article Team
1130 for me today. NaNo counter still says I'll be done on Nov 29 so that works for me. I just didn't care today. Some days I'm just not feeling it.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I spent most of yesterday flying from Cork to San Francisco to visit my brother. I got a bit of work done on the plane from Cork to Amsterdam, but nothing at all from Amsterdam to SF. I felt oddly self-conscious about picking up the laptop and typing when sitting so close in between two strangers. I've caught up a little on the sleep now though and will hopefully be getting a bit of writing done now.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I spent most of yesterday flying from Cork to San Francisco to visit my brother. I got a bit of work done on the plane from Cork to Amsterdam, but nothing at all from Amsterdam to SF. I felt oddly self-conscious about picking up the laptop and typing when sitting so close in between two strangers. I've caught up a little on the sleep now though and will hopefully be getting a bit of writing done now.
Completed chapter 3 with all checks reached. Progress, if slow.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
And like clockwork I have caught a cold. Mostly editing and polishing and wallowing in misery today. Maybe 100 new words. >.<

1713 for day nine.

I'm on a roll and will continue writing for an hour or two. My MC has just joined a war council, something he had not in any way expected, and he's about to get some news that will change his life forever. Well, he won't know exactly how his life will be changed by the news, but then neither do the others present in that meeting hah! They have plans for him that are going to upset everything; but something will happen later, as a result of what happens here, that will upset all of their plans!

Chessie2

Staff
Article Team
And like clockwork I have caught a cold. Mostly editing and polishing and wallowing in misery today. Maybe 100 new words. >.<
I hope you feel better soon. Hugs!

No words for me today. I was out of the house at 8:15 in the morning and didn't return until past 9. Thursdays are monster days for me. I'm too tired to write and frankly need to think more about how the next chapter will go.

I'll get up in the morning and write.

Antonius

Scribe
1,938 today. Glad it's the weekend. I can use the time to come up with plot scenes and twists for the upcoming chapters.