• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

NaNoWriMo 2017!

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
That's an interesting way of her doing things, Skip. Thank you for sharing. I especially like her thoroughness by printing.

I HAVE to edit as I go along. I do several passes as I'm writing new words because I don't rewrite and I need the manuscript to be editing & proofread ready by the time I'm done. Everything--plot wise--needs to be as is. So editing as I go along is what helps me to add things, change things, fix typos, etc. Then I put the manuscript in my Grammarly and Hemmingway editing software, and finalize the process with proofreads and line editing (in reverse order lol). This is often why many times when I have big word count days they are followed by smaller word count days. Like, for example, yesterday I spent my writing time editing chapter 12. Still not entirely done with it...which is where the new word counts come in. But I don't count my editing words in NaNo. That's cheating to me. I only count fresh words.
You gave up on Pro Writing Aid?

gia

Scribe
Daily Goal: 900 words. I know that doesn't seem like much BUT if I do that I can finish my 13 chapter novel by the end of the month.

What I'm working on: The first book in a five book series. The title is The Power of the Crystalline Trees. It's set in the future and is all what the world would be like, if the poles had shifted in 2012. It's for young adults, who you all call Millennials, but who I call Crystallines. The underlying message in the storytelling is one of hope for the future and how to make use of their unique energy gifts that they have.

Inspiration: My two grandsons, Julian and Quincy, currently age 9 and 7. At the rate I'm writing, though, they'll be 30 before I'm done! So this is a good challenge. 5 books in 5 years...hey! We'll be into a new presidency by then!!!

Last edited:

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
The day is over in 3 minutes here. I managed about 600 or so words on my new story. I'm thinking it's a bit slow getting started as I take a lot of care with the initial description of the story's main character. She's coming off as a bit more punk than I'd first anticipated, but I'm not sure that's a bad thing.

I'm sure I'll revisit the description again tomorrow, and in the next draft too, but for now, here goes:

Alene Monenya. Average height human. Early twenties. Dark brown skin. Blue eyes, and curly red hair that had finally grown long enough to tie back in a ponytail since last she shaved it all off.

She's in green fatigues and combat boots. A white tee damp with sweat, and a green denim hip bag embroidered with snowflakes and apples. Around her neck she wears a pair of dog tags that say to donate her body and belongings to cancer research in case of death.

There you have her. It should be enough for a first impression. The rest of the story is about getting her into trouble and getting to know her better.

Day 4: 3006.

This puts me close to where I need to be, but not quite.

I finished the first chapter and started the second.

Had a good day.

Dren

Scribe
Ooof.

3000 words today, doubling my word count and making up for my unintentional day off yesterday. Turning off my inner critic and ignoring the fact that it's bland, clunky, and minimal on personality right now is just freeing. I'm basically just skipping around, keeping it generally chronological but making the bare bones of each chapter, getting an idea of what's going to happen in it, moving on to the next, and going back as inspiration comes to keep the flow going. Right now I'm basically done with chapter one, working on chapter two and three, and just started on chapter four.

I've made up for not typing out anything yesterday by writing a total of 13 pages in my notebook today. Either something needs to happen soon or this book is going to be very, very short.

Fluffypoodel

Inkling
Did a little over 3k today. About what I expected and over my goal so I'm very happy about that. I am curious what my actual progress would be if I were writing form scratch instead of rewriting. I think I spend about the same amount of time writing either way and I'm not really sure how to calculate that so it will stay as a thought experiment. good job everybody!!

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
1,254 words - about half my goal. I think I'm nearly out of the slow start of the story though, so hopefully I'll be able to up the pace soon. The character is introduced, and her suitcase too.

The suitcase is going to be a very important macguffin throughout the series so I wanted to give it some attention right away from the start.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
425 words yesterday and none today due to illness, both of the two of us and one of our tiny dog office minions. Tomorrow's agenda: the vet and the doctor, in that order!

Chessie2

Staff
Article Team
1817 for me today. An entire scene written from the crazy antagonist's pov. Here, his intentions to seize Lord Omarion's seat and take Princess Elenaril as his wife are made known.

Goodness, he's such a psycho.

Nimue

Auror
Haven't really posted here because dang, I'm not doing NaNo word counts and unfortunately I'm not really pushing myself, but all I'm looking for is starting a habit, not necessarily heading for a finish line. It's nice to have the last two parts of my outline to work on when that comes easier, and it's a good way to warm myself up for prose. Whenever my mind strays ahead to juicy future scenes, I can jot that down in the outline, know it won't be forgotten, and get back to work. Nearly done with the new first chapter, which feels almost like a prelude--it's during the heroine's captivity when the last draft started with the battle that freed her. This is making her mental state post-escape so much clearer to me, and hopefully will amp up the emotional impact of her freedom. Dreamlike and dark-fairytale and enjoyable to write.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
A day of other obligations, but I managed 921 words this evening, getting Talysse across the marshlands of the Camargue. It was her first ride on a horse. At first it was pretty wonderful, but now she's a little ... ah ... sore.

Day 5: 1892.

Total so far: 8168.

That's just shy of the 8333 words I'd need to be on the average for meeting the Nov 30 deadline. I'm a little bummed because I could have hit it with just a little longer, but midnight came . Finished the first scene of chapter two in a slight rush there at the end, anyway.