• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

NaNoWriMo 2023 Wordcounts

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Well...I don't wish to spent a lot of energy arguing mac vs windows. If you like it, that's okay.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
And Chapter fourteen - Octavos - is a wrap at 1830 words, bringing the official tally up to 40310...which NaNo apparently deems worthy of a badge. It also puts me two days ahead of the game. Given that turkey day will eat into writing time, that may be a good thing...

Next up - Chapter fifteen - Carina's third appearance, and after that Chapter sixteen - Git-Vik's second appearance. Then things start getting complicated....

When I began this project, I figured it would be between 60-70,000 words...but I just hit 40,000 words, and 4000 more, give or take will see me at the climax. So...it might fall a little shy of the 60,000-word mark, though that will change with subsequent drafts.

On another note...I need to do more tests when I get the chance, but I might have found a way to circumvent the copy-paste issue. Maybe. Not going to bother with it now.

Exactly 65% of the 50,000 word count goal completed and I’m just deciding what to focus on next and which scene to play out. In writing most days this month I’ve gained more of a sense of where I want to take my narrative and how I want it to feel.

There is in the meantime plenty more research to do too and more names to decide on. I need a better notes resource so I can just tap into the information I need, when I need it.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Ate way too much this Turkey Day. Drove back from the homestead in freezing rain, feeling all bloated. Decided to work it off.

Anyhow, Chapter fifteen is finished at 2030 words, though there is this little voice screaming at me about how badly the last third stinks. I told it to shut up - those events had to happen and getting them recorded matters more than their quality at the moment. The little voice is still upset. Whatever.

Anyhow, the grand official tally stands at 42030.

Next up is Git-Vik. After that...well there is another Carina chapter that needs to happen. Octavos needs to rejoin his pregnant wife right before the Gotemik (alien) attack - maybe he travels with Chimp. Then there is the precise sequence to figure out for the alien base on the frozen island. I know what many of the scenes are, but putting them in order...hmmm...

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
2k on turkey day is good I reckon, but should've gotten more. Whammied my right wrist while riding the quad today and holy shit does that put a crimp in my typing. I'm hoping it loosens up instead of tightening, as I'd planned on hitting 40k+ this weekend and heading into the final pages of the MS.

Otherwise, been doing more editing, organizing, and timeline work the past few days than new writing. Still got a few thousand in new stuff, but it all works for me since it's Nanupalooza finishing the novel instead of Nanowrimo, heh heh.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
2k on turkey day is good I reckon, but should've gotten more. Whammied my right wrist while riding the quad today and holy shit does that put a crimp in my typing. I'm hoping it loosens up instead of tightening, as I'd planned on hitting 40k+ this weekend and heading into the final pages of the MS.

Otherwise, been doing more editing, organizing, and timeline work the past few days than new writing. Still got a few thousand in new stuff, but it all works for me since it's Nanupalooza finishing the novel instead of Nanowrimo, heh heh.
Due to an old injury that flared up a year or two back, my right hand is dang near useless. Typing becomes painful after a while, and I make a lot of mistakes.

That said, my Kindle presented me with a new listing by a 'James Rice' - title escapes me, but the cover featured a scary looking woman, no real background. That be you?

I am almost to the point...two more chapters, maybe three, to where I will need to revamp the outline to continue. That might cost me a day or two of writing - or it might not.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Damn, that would kill me, I mostly type right handed, LMAO. Me dear mother was always astounded how fast I could type with such pathetic traditional skills. I am more impressed with your word count!

And yes, the scary lady is me—or at least I assume so. Shadows of Man. I'm getting back edits on some chapters even as I finish the book, heh heh. Pure insanity.

Due to an old injury that flared up a year or two back, my right hand is dang near useless. Typing becomes painful after a while, and I make a lot of mistakes.

That said, my Kindle presented me with a new listing by a 'James Rice' - title escapes me, but the cover featured a scary looking woman, no real background. That be you?

I am almost to the point...two more chapters, maybe three, to where I will need to revamp the outline to continue. That might cost me a day or two of writing - or it might not.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
I am not a fast typist. My current wordcount rate stems from -

1) knowing where these chapters have to go, and

2) an utterly screwed up sleep schedule. I lurch awake, stumble to the computer, check a few sites, then sit down and write 600-800 words. Then back to bed for a few hours of tormented shuteye, wake up, eat, shower, and repeat. With these last few chapters, I pressed myself to finish them, which produces the feeling of writing utter crap towards the end on top of everything else.

The thing is, while I know where *some* of the upcoming chapters have to go, there are others I am basically clueless about (I didn't even have a two-page outline to work from until a few months ago. If I have to, I'll go with stubs for the unknown bits, though I wish to avoid that.

The other thing is 'Labyrinth: Defender' has been on the 'Get It Done' list for a decade plus. That time is here, and it is time to crank out a rough draft, regardless of how horrendous it is.

And finally, given my marketing misadventures and how freaking exhausting it is to write a novel...I think this will be the last full-length novel I write entirely from scratch. Yes, there are a couple of finished and almost finished rough drafts I'll refine, as well as some novella length tales...but get those wrapped up and I'll try selling shorter tales to dodgy internet magazines.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Exactly 65% of the 50,000 word count goal completed and I’m just deciding what to focus on next and which scene to play out. In writing most days this month I’ve gained more of a sense of where I want to take my narrative and how I want it to feel.

There is in the meantime plenty more research to do too and more names to decide on. I need a better notes resource so I can just tap into the information I need, when I need it.

Knocking on the door. What is that, like 2000 a day. You can do it.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Not a lot going on today. Probably all those black Friday sales everyone is rushing out to ;)

Or is it the typing on those Nano stories?

Rooting for you all.

I didn’t expect to try it out to be honest, but I’ve had this story take up space in my head rent free for months now and so without putting any pressure on it I’ve just written the thoughts in my head onto the page and hopefully they will form a starting point and give me some writing experience in the meantime. I think I’ve learnt a lot from it already and that’s the main thing for me. I can torment myself in years to come but for now it’s been fun and pressure free.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Ugh...

Chapter sixteen is done at 1220 words - and every one of those words was a fight to get out. Took me like four or five tries to come up with something even remotely acceptable in a few places. Anyhow, the total word count sits at 43560.

I'm hoping the next chapter will go easier, but it feels like I'm pushing a boulder up a hill as my writing mojo starts to falter.

I've also noticed the chapters are getting shorter the further I progress - the first six or eight bounced around the 3K mark, with a couple that topped 5 K - though there was also one that checked in at a mere 900 words. These last few, though, have been under 2 K. This keeps up...'Defender' might just barely slide over the 50 K mark, about 10,000 words shorter than anticipated. Hmm...

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
3936 of the most painful words ever. The more I sit and type, the tighter the wrist gets. Warrior writing! That was the midnight cut-off on the Scrivener word count, still actually writing, and at 4300+ including post-midnight. I want this POV done and ready for the editor as promised, so! I intend to be awake until finished with Glimdrem's story in this novel.