• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Need a different name for jellybobs

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
In my setting there are airborne luminous jellyfish. People sometime keep them for mood lighting instead of candles or fire.
Originally I referred to them as jellyfish, but since they're floating in the air maybe calling them fish gives the wrong vibe. I'm currently calling them jellybob as they're bobbing slightly in the air when they move, but I'm thinkign there may be a better name.

I'd like some suggestions, if you have any?

pmmg

Myth Weaver
JellyFranks?

You might not like it, but I think Jellybob's is not a bad term for these. I might just stick with it.

Jellyfloats?
Firefloats?
Windspores?
Bubblelamps?
Doodlebobs?

I think I would go with Jellybobs.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
You know, I might just go with jellybob too. I've had to use it a few times, and it sort of works.

Further in a lone jellybob hung in the air, its tendrils sparkling like a trail of stars in the glow of its heart.

Gryphos

Auror
Jellybob sounds good I think. With some description, the reader will easily be able to figure out what you're taking about.

Corwynn

Troubadour
Jellybob sounds like a good name. I might also suggest Jellylantern or Lamp Jelly.

Out of curiosity, how do people keep jellybobs from drifting away, or stinging people? What do they do when their light isn't wanted anymore?

My world has something similar called glowmotes. Glowmotes are bioluminescent algae kept in water-filled vessels which have a sleeve or shutters that can block out the light when desired.

Queshire

Auror
Hrm, honestly Jellybob sounds a bit silly to me, which, depending on the tone of your story, might not be a bad thing.

How about a name derived from the legends of Will 'o the Wisps?

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Out of curiosity, how do people keep jellybobs from drifting away, or stinging people? What do they do when their light isn't wanted anymore?

Short answer: They don't.

Longer answer:
You can keep the jellybob indoors and they won't blow away, and if there's no draft they'll move very slowly meaning people will be able to see them coming. You can also trim the tendrils to keep them short and then there's less options for people to get burns. Keeping the tendrils short will also prevent the jellybobs from leaving slime and burn marks on the furniture.

If you want to keep a jellybob outside and not run a risk of losing it you can tether it to something by the tendrils. Depending on your culture this may be perceived as animal cruelty though and it's not always done.

Different types of jellybobs handle that kind of restriction differently. Some do not react in any noticeable way, while others change colour or begin to generate corrosive slime.
A more humane way of tethering a jellybob is to place a bowl of nutrients below where you'd like it to stay. The jellybob will attempt to stay close to the bowl, but can easily be relocated by a mild breeze.

You can't "turn off" the light on a jellybob, and they will keep glowing until the die. A few types will only glow as long as there is darkness around them so technically you can turn them off by providing another light source, but that doesn't really solve the issue.

Vaporo

Inkling
Jellybob does sound a bit goofy, but I wouldn't mind it a bit too much even in a serious story. Every language has some dumb words. I just wouldn't linger on the word too much. Use it sparingly to offset the goofyness.

Sorry if this is already resolved, but I've heard of jellyfish being referred to as sea jellies. Maybe these could be called air jellies, sky jellies, cloud jellies...?

I mean, jellybob sounds fine. Maybe that could be the name in the common vernacular but more technically they are known as air jellies...like jellyfish vs. sea jellies.

I wouldn't worry about it being goofy. All kinds of real life animals have goofy names.