• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Need some help Re: Portals

In my story my protag passes through a portal without realizing it. It's more of a wall really but a portal was made between his home and the fantastic world.
There's no burst of stars, no singing puppets, no indication at all. In the future, when they travel between different worlds, the journey is dangerous and the rule of keeping hands and feet inside the vehicle at all times is taken very seriously.

That's a good point about portals like that. I have them as well although I never really thought of them as portals...although I call them Gates and I call the other things that I think of as portals Gates too, I didn't put it together until now.

Anyway, that's how Faerie Circles are in my world or Faerie Gates if they are not marked with a circle of objects. In my second book the main main character steps into one, feels like he is blinking but isn't, and is greeted with a whole new world. The transition is seamless. On the main world side the Gate was marked with a circle of either flowers or toadstools (I do not recall) and on the fey side, marked with a circle of skulls.