• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

New cover - Any feedback?

Steerpike

Felis amatus
It is a book of scary stories for kids. Not set on the fonts yet, but I'd like feedback on the overall cover. I made this today with GIMP. Thanks :)

steerpike-albums-misc-picture538-beafraid-cover.jpg

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Sharpen the image. Put some texture behind the blue. Keep trying on the font.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
What do you think is a good format, Devor? The original GIMP image is sharp. It lost some sharpness when I exported it to a JPG. Putting in some texture shouldn't be hard. At least, there are tools for things like "canvas" and so on. But I'm not skilled at graphic design so I'm a bit limited :)

Ireth

Myth Weaver
This cover doesn't exactly put me in mind of ghosts and boogeymen, even for a kids' book. I'd go with something a bit more dark and spooky.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Thanks, Ireth. I was worried about that as well. A tower on a hill actually figures into the story, so I thought I was kind of lucky with that, but I'm not sure it is scary enough. I'm not an artist so I'm reduced to using what I can. I'll do some more searching :)

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
What do you think is a good format, Devor?

I think the picture-in-the-middle format looks good. It's just a matter of getting each of the elements right.

I've never used GIMP, but I've done some tricks with PaintShop Pro, to mostly mixed, sometimes good results. That program does a terrible job with fonts or I'd offer to try a few things.

Ankari

Hero Breaker
The pieces are there, but you need a little more umph.

Put a silhouette of something that is creepy on that nice bright patch of green. Except for the "B" the font seems OK.

I like the picture. I'm not opposed to the fonts.

I don't like how broke up it is. A texture behind the fonts might help, or bleeding the picture under the blue. Is the pic open source or from your graphic designer friend?

JCFarnham

Auror
JPG looses the most detail out of all the file formats. I would steer well clear of it if you can help it, for anything but mock ups. PNG is typically what I use the most. I don't believe there's much in it on file size, but considering you want your cover to look as best as possible it's good to consider these things.

In regards to the file, when you export to jpg make sure that you keep maximum quality (default on my computer is usually 6-8 depending on the program doing the exporting on a scale of 10). Microsoft defaults to "good" as opposed to "best" when compressing.

Ideally you will use a .tif file to avoid compressing it as much as you do in a jpeg, failing that, a bitmap is not an undesirable alternative for a working file, although the final should probably avoid bitmaps. Depending on the program you use though a tif may warp your colors (CMYK vs RGB).

When I had the cover for my Kindle novel, every time I did a tif it inverted the colors because of the CMYK/RGB issue, and I was not using a program that I could overcome that in. So I made a 300 dpi jpeg as an alternative.

300 dpi should be your minimum I would say.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Thanks again, everyone. I will be working on a new version of the file in the coming days and I'll let you know what I come up with. I think I can work quite easily with the resolution, colors, fonts, and the like. I'm not sure I have the artistic ability to do much with the central image, but I'll give it a shot.

lawrence

Troubadour
Will take a look at the new draft design when you post. In meanitme, I thought that the imagery was not quite the right mood for this day and age...the pic reminds me strongly of an old oil painting, with the same tone as many 'penguin classic' type books, or Sherlock Holmes paperbacks. I would go with a more contemporary feel, rather than what looks like a 19th century oil on canvas. Just my opinion though, I am no expert on kids spooky story books :)

Hi,

To me it looks sort of moody, but not actively scary. I'm not sure if you need to add an element to the picture to give it that little bite, or if you can just play with the colour tones. I have no problem with the font, though you might want to change the colour to a ghoulish blood read, and maybe a few drips. (There's a font that does this exact thing - but I can't remember for the life of me where I saw it, but try googling).

Cheers, Greg.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Thanks, Lawrence and Greg. I may table this idea and revisit it for another project, while working on something more contemporary and spooky for kids :) I appreciate all the feedback!

Aravelle

Sage
I like the picture of the tower. It strikes an older sort of feel to it, superior to most covers these days... more subtle.

Steerpike,
I don't know if you are still taking thoughts so here goes mine and feel free to ignor at will :)

I really kinda love the art work, it reminds me of everything I was scared of as a child however the font I'm not loving...
I see this cover and I almost wish the book was writen for adults. Mainly because the picture is more mature than what one would normaly see on a childs book.

Just my two cents.
~BL~