• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Online writing groups

hots_towel

Minstrel
Hey everyone

I'm wondering what peoples opinions are on online writing groups. Can they be as effective as groups where people actually meet up? If yes can anyone recommend one? I've been looking around this forum and I can't seem to find a group for my local area.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Sometimes people are looking for critique partners online (and usually post so here in this section). I've had mostly positive experiences with online writing groups, but I just don't have time to keep up with it anymore. I've tried it two or three times and it's just not manageable for me. If you have time, they can certainly be helpful. We have a group here Writers' Work, but it's mostly just a support group for staying on track with writing, not a critique group. Lots of our posters have said it's helped them out to stay on track though.

PaulineMRoss

Inkling
I'm on Scribophile: Writing group and online writing workshop for serious writers | Scribophile.

There's also Critique Circle: Critique Circle Online Writing Workshop

And fantasy oriented SFF Online Writing Workshop: SFFOWW

There are others, but I've heard good reports of all these. They all work the same basic way: you critique other people's work to earn credits; you then spend credits to post your own work which will then be critted by random strangers. However, they all work in slightly different ways, so I suggest you try them out and see whether any of them suit you. Just be aware that you do have to put in the work to get the best out of them.

I've had some terrific feedback from Scribophile. I highly recommend it as a way of improving your writing very quickly.

JadedSidhe

Minstrel
I use two online critique sites.

I use Authors By Design, an online community that has private critique groups as well and Critique Circle as well. Both have been beneficial. I like both for different reasons.

I've looked into Scribophile, wrote a few critiques, but haven't submitted anything there. I can't really explain it, but I just didn't feel it was the right place for me to post.

Arianna

Dreamer
Hey there,
I have an online writing group and we are currently looking for a new member
There are five of us right now and we are looking to expand the group. 4 of us write fantasy and one writes science fiction. If you are interested in joining please send me a private message! :)