• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Personal and Heroic Sacrifices

^That's quite alright! This is very interesting. :)

In the next two parts, i explore what happened before the Sacrificer [main 'antagonist' but not really] became what they are as a result of having to give up the person they cherished most. It's quite exciting; sort of like a start of darkness tale, but not quite. [There's twists along the way.] :D

In a conversation with her mother, the main character learns that her ten sisters [and possibly other children before them] were sacrificed for nothing. The implications thereof are discussed.

Chessie2

Staff
Article Team
In a conversation with her mother, the main character learns that her ten sisters [and possibly other children before them] were sacrificed for nothing. The implications thereof are discussed.
I'm curious what sort of consequences your mc ends up facing? That sounds really interesting.

Oh, there's consequences all over the place, not just for the MC, but also the MC's grandparents, who have been blindly following the tradition for ages. The above idea is so horrific for the MC to think about that she tries to avoid thinking about it at all until the end of the story when she fully learns what/who the Sacrificer actually is, and what her true role is in the whole thing.

Oh, just wondering if this thread was still active. I'm working on Part 3, wherein the MC learns about a [personal] sacrifice that happened: someone very dear to her saved her life at the expense of their own, setting into motion the events of the whole story.

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
I'm not sure there is much more to discuss? Without there being any context or specifics, or request for specific feedback, I don't think there is much more to add?

Dark Squiggle

Troubadour
I read my way through this whole thread, and must say I enjoyed the read. It made me think of the importance of causes of sacrifice, both in emotion and in blood, in a new way.
Sacrifice is a big thing, one which I cannot fully understand. There are other things discussed in here that I probably cannot understand as a male, but I am willing to accept that and move on.
I am thinking of how people have made real sacrifices in both their blood and that of others, as a part of the real world, and what they thought at the time. Meditative bliss? Fear? Resigned? Determined? The soldiers at Stalingrad, and Bietar, and the Alamo and a thousand other doomed cities and fortresses, what did they feel? The only book I have read that really captured what I think that feeling is accurately was Les Miserables. What of the parents who gave their children to Ba'al, the fire god of the Phoenicians? I don't think I have read anything like this and I am interested in the stories written here.
Blood is definitely a powerful theme in books. Moby Dick's most powerful scene to me is when Ahab makes his harpooners cut themselves with their harpoons and swear fealty to him after which they mixed and drank the blood, with Ahab drinking as well. The Golden Compass flies out of control when Lord Asriel pulls "I am your father" and then smashes Roger's soul to build the interuniverse bridge in front of Lyra (The MC), after she spent the whole book trying to save him. That is an incredibly charged moment, and it doesn't compare to a thought out version of it where Lyra or Roger would know of what comes...

<Sacrifice is a big thing, one which I cannot fully understand.>

I wonder if anyone really can.

I'm toying with the ending of my book [16 more pages of it left to write in my notebook!] I'm really not quite sure how to end it, without sweeping aside the sacrifice of the MC's sisters or making their 'true' reason for it seem contrived [or at worst, a sudden twist that comes out of nowhere.]

I also don't know what happens to the MC, once she [spoiler alert] discovers that she, along with her two guardian spirits and her mother, are the four avatars of the Sacrificer itself.