• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Plot Device!

WyrdMystic

Inkling
What do you think of the ‘Achilles Heel’? Not just Superman’s kryptonite, or Achilles....erm...heel, but in any form — such as CSI’s constant insistence that a spec of sand can only be found on a single stretch of beach in all of Miami — IT’S SAND! You can find sand from the Sahara on the streets of London!

Anyway — shoot…

Last edited by a moderator:

Saigonnus

Auror
It's human fallability that lends credence to the idea that every person or situation has a weakness or potential flaw to exploit to it's downfall. I think that even the vilest villain or noblest hero has something about their character or personality that could potentially be used as a method for their downfall or destruction.

So, the protagonist finds out that the antagonist has a love of the ladies and decides to use this to bring him out in the open where normally he is hiding behind closed doors. He plans a party and makes it the center of the social calendar. They invite women from high society including models, actresses and the advertizes as "the event of the year" in hopes the villain can't resist and makes an appearance.

I could see something like this being used as a way of finally putting the protagonist and chief villain in the same room; where the inevitable conflict occurs. I think that many shows; like your cited example of CSI and the grain of sand, take it too far and make it seem more "deus ex machina" than useful tool; without that grain of sand or piece of leather, they'd have no case otherwise. It isn't something about the bad guy that brings it about.

I think if done right, it is useful to writing, if not; it is a bit of a sell-out or easy fix and should be just left out.

It is possible, but those stories are old and unbelievable. People are expecting it, unless it actually backfires and makes the villain look good. It's a subplot for sure, but not something to drive an entire book.

Sinitar

Minstrel
It depends on how it is used, assuming you want to use it. Saigonnus pretty much summed up my thoughts. If the characters/creatures/whatever in question are nicely developed and the reader suspects their weakness, the technique will do wonders. Everyone has an exploitable flaw that others can take advantage of. The trick is not to make it look contrived. Nothing's worse than a convenient scenario for the protagonist, eh?

In my personal opinion I find it an enjoyable part of the story if it is not shoved down my throat. It adds a human element to the character and shows that they are not perfect. If done subtly it's fine if it is a crutch that the story leans on it makes me roll my eyes.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Depends on just what the 'heel' is and how credible it is.

I once read a medevial type mystery where an observant 'detective' solved the crime because he noticed peoples fingerprints differed from each other. His observation was not deemed legally acceptable, but it was workable.

On the other hand, I pretty much stopped watching the various 'CSI' type programs a long time ago, because the writers stopped paying any real attention to the science. Reality is (from somebody whose been at the outer fringes of this a time or three) even DNA evidence often has serious problems. A very few tests are fantastic, but most of the time its 'send it away and hope you hear back within the next couple of months' AND 'hope the lab doesn't screw up'.

But more on track...some types of 'fatal flaws' are much more phausible than others - like a really bright light to a nocturnal creature, for example.