• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Publishing Poetry

This is a follow up thread to my, "Epic Poetry" thread. It's very short so you can take a quick look to get more information. It's located in the, "Writing Questions" section. I made this follow up thread because the thread started leaning more towards a "publishing" theme.

(This is a quote from my other thread)
-------------------------
I wrote sort of an epic poem for a project in my senior year English class (we just got done reading Beowulf) and I found it the other day and thought, "You know, this is a really cool plot and I think I could really expand on this."

So now I'm in the process of making a better plot but I'm wondering how I should write it. This might be a publishing question but if I do want this to be published I have two options:

A) Keep it in its verse format and try to get it published under Poetry.

B) Change from verse to paragraph format and publish it under Fantasy.

I don't want to change the way I wrote it though. Meaning that I want it to have that authentic, old English inspired sound to it. Occasionally using words such as, "thy" and "cometh." I want to keep the wordings the same but I don't know if that would work well in a modern paragraph format, especially if it's not published under the genre of Poetry.
----------------------

I really don't know which format I should write it in. I mean all of my favorite epics that I have read could technically be put under the Fantasy genre if the format would have been changed. But I'm not sure if it would work that way. And I am not sure if publishing poetry is more difficult than an actual novel. Any suggestions?

Lorna

Inkling
Hi again.

Firstly, how long is you epic poem?

I've had poetry published in small press magazines and on-line as well as by my local council. It's not that hard. But they have all been short poems, not epics. I've looked and so far have found no magazines wanting epic poems.

If it's under 10,000 words you could try contacting the editors of some magazines and say 'I've written an epic poem, it's the size of a short story, would you be willing to have a look?' That's what I've done with my writing of the Mabon myth- I contacted the editors at 'Paraxis' magazine who were looking for stories featuring walls. (Mabon's taken from 'between his mother and 'the wall' and when he's rescued 'the wall' is torn down). I know there's alot of fantasy / myth magazines out there. 'New Myths' might be a good one to start with.

Let me know how it goes. Good luck.

Hi again.

Firstly, how long is you epic poem?

I've had poetry published in small press magazines and on-line as well as by my local council. It's not that hard. But they have all been short poems, not epics. I've looked and so far have found no magazines wanting epic poems.

If it's under 10,000 words you could try contacting the editors of some magazines and say 'I've written an epic poem, it's the size of a short story, would you be willing to have a look?' That's what I've done with my writing of the Mabon myth- I contacted the editors at 'Paraxis' magazine who were looking for stories featuring walls. (Mabon's taken from 'between his mother and 'the wall' and when he's rescued 'the wall' is torn down). I know there's alot of fantasy / myth magazines out there. 'New Myths' might be a good one to start with.

Let me know how it goes. Good luck.

well it's not finished yet and I'm not sure exactly how long it will be at this point.