• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Random thoughts

med-us-maps.jpg

I saw this on another forum. How cool is this? I'm European and I didn't even think the mediterranean was as big as the US.

Ya done drowned my house!

Tom

Istar
Buffalo would still be a port city, but this time on a sea instead of a lake. We're used to water, haha. Although based on that map Rochester would be completely obliterated. RIP.

My neighbors and I would be living in a dome under the sea, chuckling together as climate change continues to raise sea levels....

Tom

Istar
For every project I write I have a document called "cuts" in its folder where I just cut&paste all the stuff that didn't work out but I don't want to get rid of. Some of my best material has come from repurposed cuts, and sometimes I steal them for other stories where they would work better.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
For every project I write I have a document called "cuts" in its folder where I just cut&paste all the stuff that didn't work out but I don't want to get rid of. Some of my best material has come from repurposed cuts, and sometimes I steal them for other stories where they would work better.

That's a great idea. I'l see if I can work that into my process somehow.

Reactions: Tom
So today i discovered that I have synesthesia. Or, more accurately, I discovered that not everyone does.

Apparently not everyone has a color for every day of the week, month of the year, number and letter! Weird. I'd always had strong opinions about what color those things are. But I never realized that there was anything strange about it.

for instance: Monday is yellow, Tuesday is sky blue, Wednesday is orange, Thursday is indigo, and Friday is purple. i've always taken that for granted. But apparently there are people who will be like, "what?" when you ask what color Wednesday is. Or worse, they'll say it's green. Ew! That's not right at all.

The most interesting aspect of mine has to be that I see my relationships as color coded, at least those with my friends. Friends that I've known for years have changed color over time. My oldest friend was blue when we were little and matured into green; now he's golden now that we've reconnected. One of my friends is pale blue and another a cinnamony burgundy. My other guy friend is vivid pink. I have no idea why.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Nothing can ruin something you love quite like doing a class presentation on it...
Early on in my so-called career I was told never to research a subject that I loved. Liking or being interested in a subject is essential but not a deep or emotional engagement. Six months in you'd hate the thing you loved.
A generalisation I know, but I don't know many people that research what they care most about.

Reactions: Ban

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Early on in my so-called career I was told never to research a subject that I loved. Liking or being interested in a subject is essential but not a deep or emotional engagement. Six months in you'd hate the thing you loved.
A generalisation I know, but I don't know many people that research what they care most about.

I have been researching chemical warfare in its many facets for more than twenty years. I know it's terrifying and awful, and yet I feel this dark and irrevocable fascination for the subject... The more I learn about chemical weapons and how they have been/could be used the more I want to learn about them, it has no end.

The same happens to me with swords, certain celestial bodies like the Moon, Neptune, Uranus and Titania and in general with mysteries and cryptozoology stuff like the Beast of Gevaudan (thread coming soon!), Yeti and Bigfoot, the Mothman incidents, supernatural phenomena of many kinds and various other subjects that are of great interest and love to me.

Another good example is this horrible deadly disease that virtually nobody cares about in most of the world. I have researched it as deeply as possible since it was mentioned in a famous movie from 1995, and the interest never ends.

That infectious disease is central in the plot of my story Winter Hollow.

Joan the second daughter of King Edward III of England is a subject of intense love and total fascination to me. I have gone desperate trying to research as much as possible about this extremely unknown person since 2006, I could never learn enough about her and she is the protagonist of a Fantasy trilogy of novels that I enjoy and love like crazy.

I know that I am unusual, and I love it.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Philip Pullman: Rules of writing from man behind His Dark Materials
"Author Philip Pullman is returning to the world of Lyra Belacqua with his new trilogy The Book of Dust, the first instalment of which was released at midnight.
La Belle Sauvage: The Book Of Dust Volume One is published on Thursday, Pullman's 71st birthday, and comes 17 years after the last instalment of his previous trilogy.
While Lyra, from His Dark Materials, is one of the key characters, the action takes place when she is six months old. She is being sheltered by nuns but then 11-year-old Malcolm Polstead steps in to protect her on his canoe, La Belle Sauvage.
So what are the tricks of the trade that has made Pullman such a success - and the tips he can pass on to budding writers?
He spoke to the BBC about his lucky pen and why he can work to the sound of a pneumatic drill, but never to music."

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
So today i discovered that I have synesthesia. Or, more accurately, I discovered that not everyone does.

Apparently not everyone has a color for every day of the week, month of the year, number and letter! Weird. I'd always had strong opinions about what color those things are. But I never realized that there was anything strange about it.

for instance: Monday is yellow, Tuesday is sky blue, Wednesday is orange, Thursday is indigo, and Friday is purple. i've always taken that for granted. But apparently there are people who will be like, "what?" when you ask what color Wednesday is. Or worse, they'll say it's green. Ew! That's not right at all.

The most interesting aspect of mine has to be that I see my relationships as color coded, at least those with my friends. Friends that I've known for years have changed color over time. My oldest friend was blue when we were little and matured into green; now he's golden now that we've reconnected. One of my friends is pale blue and another a cinnamony burgundy. My other guy friend is vivid pink. I have no idea why.

...But Wednesday is green. Glorious orange is to be used for Dutch monarchs not for days of the week.

Monday is red. Tuesday is yellow. Wednesday is green. Thursday is dark blue. Friday is light blue. Saturday is grey or silver. Sunday is brown or gold.