• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Random thoughts

Tom

Istar
So today i discovered that I have synesthesia. Or, more accurately, I discovered that not everyone does.

Apparently not everyone has a color for every day of the week, month of the year, number and letter! Weird. I'd always had strong opinions about what color those things are. But I never realized that there was anything strange about it.

for instance: Monday is yellow, Tuesday is sky blue, Wednesday is orange, Thursday is indigo, and Friday is purple. i've always taken that for granted. But apparently there are people who will be like, "what?" when you ask what color Wednesday is. Or worse, they'll say it's green. Ew! That's not right at all.

The most interesting aspect of mine has to be that I see my relationships as color coded, at least those with my friends. Friends that I've known for years have changed color over time. My oldest friend was blue when we were little and matured into green; now he's golden now that we've reconnected. One of my friends is pale blue and another a cinnamony burgundy. My other guy friend is vivid pink. I have no idea why.

Eyyyy! Synesthesia buddy!

I've had synesthesia for as long as I can remember, and apparently it's more common in people with ADHD. Mine is sound-color, which means that I see colors and shapes when I listen to music or even hear random sounds (the doorbell is blue and yellow). But I also have color association, which is what you have, and number form, which arranges things like the alphabet, number sequences, and calendars into patterns or shapes. For me, people and names have specific colors. My best friend's name is sky-blue, and another friend's is dark red with a gold haze.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
I thought Tuesday was grey, and Wednesday too?
*Blegh*

Mondays are black.
*Blegh again*

Everyone says Wednesday is green. That idea is repugnant to me. :/

At least many people agree on the shade of Thursday.

Wednesday makes me think of trees, so it's green for me and always has been.

I've had synesthesia for as long as I can remember, and apparently it's more common in people with ADHD. Mine is sound-color, which means that I see colors and shapes when I listen to music or even hear random sounds (the doorbell is blue and yellow). But I also have color association, which is what you have, and number form, which arranges things like the alphabet, number sequences, and calendars into patterns or shapes. For me, people and names have specific colors. My best friend's name is sky-blue, and another friend's is dark red with a gold haze.

Out of curiosity does your (and Dragon you too) color associations also extend to members of this forum? I'm kind of wondering what color I would be.

Apparently it's also common among people on the autism spectrum and among writers/artists. The sound one is cool! I don't have that one.

Reactions: Tom
*Blegh*

*Blegh again*

Wednesday makes me think of trees, so it's green for me and always has been.

Out of curiosity does your (and Dragon you too) color associations also extend to members of this forum? I'm kind of wondering what color I would be.

Only close friends as far as I know. The vast majority of people I'm familiar with don't have clear colors.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Philip Pullman: Rules of writing from man behind His Dark Materials
"Author Philip Pullman is returning to the world of Lyra Belacqua with his new trilogy The Book of Dust, the first instalment of which was released at midnight.
La Belle Sauvage: The Book Of Dust Volume One is published on Thursday, Pullman's 71st birthday, and comes 17 years after the last instalment of his previous trilogy.

Joe, thank you very much for sharing that link with us. I have never read Philip Pullman's stories, even though I enjoyed very much The Golden Compass at the movie theater in my birthday back in 2007. I have always lamented that they never produced movies about the rest of that series, it was something very sad for me.

Now that I read about how he experiences stories and writing them down, it makes me feel great to discover that I have many things in common with him. Especially points 1, 2, 4 and 6 resonate with me a lot, that's almost exactly how I work too.

About point 3, I also know what the rhyme of a paragraph has to be even before I get the right words for it. The difference is that I love listening to my favorite music while I work on a story, and the right music has a very powerful effect in my creative process and my enjoyment of the narrative.

Now I want to get the entire book series about Lyra Belacqua and her journey.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Omigosh, @Sheilawicz, please do read His Dark Materials. My daughter-in-law gave me the set some years ago and I devoured the story. The ideas, the characters, the prose, all of it is magnificent. I have read some criticisms. To me, they're like quibbling with Beethoven. Just sit and listen!

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Sometimes it does! Usually I only associate people with colors after I've known them for a while. Banten, you're forest green. Sheila is lilac, Dragon is electric blue, and CrystallineEntity is pale yellow.

That's really interesting. I can definitely see the color connections here strangely enough. Not sure why, but they all seem to fit.

Nimue

Auror
Do me, Tom! :D

Synesthesia is so fun to hear about, and it always makes total sense...I remember coming up with colors for numbers and the days of the week as a kid, but it was a deliberate effort. And while I can't seem to listen to music without generating images or scenes, I think that's a writer/reader/daydreamer problem, not an extra sense!

Reaver

Staff
Sometimes it does! Usually I only associate people with colors after I've known them for a while. Banten, you're forest green. Sheila is lilac, Dragon is electric blue, and CrystallineEntity is pale yellow.
We've known each other for a while now, Tom. What color am I associated with?