• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Random thoughts

Jabrosky

Banned
First off, apologies to everyone for abrasive and combative conduct three days ago (not to mention my insensitively questioning people's sexuality). From now on, I've decided I should avoid topics that are prone to triggering me like that. I have a tendency to go off when you press certain buttons, so it's best I stay away from situations where those buttons might get pressed.

The sun is too bright;
The snow is too deep.
I wish it were night;
I just want some sleep.​

Simple and easy to read, yet beautiful. At least I can understand the emotion you're communicating, which is more than I can say for a lot of other poetry out there.

Tom

Istar
Fifth place at the fencing tournament Saturday. Though I think that's great, I'm a little unsatisfied with my performance. I lost my first bout 0-5 because I had the jitters, and toward the end of the afternoon I was tired/sore and started slowing down, taking more hits, and forgetting foot- and bladework techniques that could have helped me out. I also had an embarrassing five minutes with a new, untested body cord that fell out of the scoring machine's plug every time I extended my arm. After using a screwdriver to widen the prongs so they'd stay in the plug, I was all set (with my dignity slightly frayed, though).

Oh well. This was my first tournament in a while, and I was a little out of practice, so all in all I think I fared pretty well.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Second reminder:

Continuation of the discussion concerning people's sexuality is off limits in this thread.

The topic is appropriate for discussion on Mythic Scribes so long as that discussion is handled in a respectful and open-minded manner. However, it will not be continued within the Random Thoughts thread.

Any posts relating to that discussion will be deleted.

acapes

Sage
Saw this the other day and it was interesting to see Rothfuss' reply and the fact that a reply is even needed, always surprises me for some reason, that narrow-minded readers exist. It's somehow baffling - why limit when there's so much variety?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

Istar
I rolled a snowmobile last night!

The back end slid out while I was braking and the whole thing went track-over-skis. Luckily, I got thrown several feet away. Some snowmobilers coming from the opposite direction on the trail stopped to see if I was okay, and helped me roll my sled back upright. I cracked the windshield, snapped the throttle handle, and busted up the hood a little, but other than that the sled's okay. I hit my head when I landed, but I don't have a concussion. I'm just really sore today and have a bad case of whiplash. At least it wasn't as bad as it could have been!

And yes, if any of you are wondering, I'm extremely accident-prone. Incidents like this one are not all that unusual for me, though this happens to be the first time I've rolled a snowmobile. That's a new one. :D

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
@Tom, Live long and for God's sake be more careful on your snowmobile!

My uncle crashed one when I was 7 and on the snowmobile with him. He sped downhill into a tree stump thinking in was a mound of snow that wold explode into white prettiness.

I thought it was a stump. I also thought he was trying to scare me and was going to go around it. It was when I was about ten feet in the air that I realized the collision was imminent.

I hate it when I realize a collision is imminent.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

Istar
I think my problem is that I have almost no instinctive sense of fear, and a reckless streak as wide as the Great Plains. XD

Addison

Auror
We finally have snow up here! We got about six inches last night. The kids, who stayed up till eleven, were up at six and out the door at six thirty. My little sister buried my kid brother in snow, hoping to scare me. He got dug up by the dogs. Then my kid sister got dumped on by the snow coming out of the snow blower. Two hours of play and they are in their preferred sofas with their ipads. Kids.

More fun to watch is my black lab. Just a few minutes of playing he looks like a Dalmatian, then a white lab. Now she's trying to eat the snow coming out of the snow blower. :p

Reactions: Tom

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
That sounds like a lot of fun. We had about half an inch of snow here a few weeks ago. Probably won't be more until next winter - if any comes at all.

Russ

Istar
If you want some snow you can have some of ours. No shortage here. Drifts around the house are taller than I am.

Tom

Istar
Same here! I was looking forward to snow at the beginning of winter, but now I'm sick of it.

SeverinR

Vala
9 inches of snow on the ground (two different snow storms) and now the rain is here.
Thats alot of water coming to a river near me.

Tom

Istar
Today was an interesting day. My dad and I drove out to help a guy stranded on the snowmobile trail just outside town. Some guy doing 90 MPH clipped him on the trail, completely twisting his sled's track tunnel and taking the steering out of commission for the right ski. It was a hit-and-run, too. The jerk apparently never looked back.

Well, we hauled the snowmobile out of the ditch, and my dad's friend said it was totaled. The kid said it was his brother's...ouch. It was also a new, fairly expensive sled. It's only good for scrap now. However, I'm more concerned about the kid. He was clearly in shock, and from the way he was favoring his ankle I'd say it was severely sprained. My dad's friend took him to the gas station to meet his brother. Hopefully his condition won't get worse once the shock starts to wear off.

Jabrosky

Banned
Maybe it was a good thing after all that I never joined a college fraternity. Margaritas are just about the only alcohol I can tolerate anyway, until they get around to making alcoholic Coke Zero.

Velka

Sage
I remember when The Learning Channel was actually educational and informative. Now it's TLC (Totally Ludicrous Cr*p) and I'm watching "My Big Fat American Gypsy Wedding".

I know I don't actually enjoy this, but it's a train wreck of humanity and I can't look away.

Reilith

Sage
I have just realized how effin' hard it is when you need to create a world from scratch and you have to research flora and fauna and geography and all that. I just had a trip through the interwebs, looking types of animals to use as familiars in my WIP. Why is it I always get in a work mood on a uni night, when I am supposed to get up at dawn the next morning?

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Don't research. Make stuff up!

Okay, so maybe that was bad advice. But I'm not totally kidding. When I was discussing a weapon for my Huntress in Nimue's game, she suggested Addison's axe have a "starmetal" core. I don't know what starmetal is to Nimue, but the very word sparked imagery—and it was just the name of a material. Simple, yet brilliant.

So if you can do that with plants, you're all set. I'd suggest "dragon fruit" to start you off, but ten years ago (I mean exactly ten—as in March 12, 2005), I found out that's a real fruit.

Tom

Istar
Hey LS, I found a book you might like. Actually my mom found it. It's called The Moonlight Palace, and it tells the story of a girl living in 1920s Singapore. The girl and her family live in the Kampong Glam, the palace built for Sultan Hussein in exchange for turning Singapore over to the British. It's a good book and a very touching story.