• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Random thoughts

Nimue

Auror
I maintain that if anybody actually tells you that you write like a 5-year-old, they deserve a smack in the mouth, 'cause it ain't true. ^^

Saigonnus

Auror
One thing I have always wondered is why many (if not most) colleges or universities force you to take classes you won't need in your given field?

"I want to be a writer!"

"Okay, here's your trigonometry class!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing I have always wondered is why many (if not most) colleges or universities force you to take classes you won't need in your given field?

"I want to be a writer!"

Allegedly it's to make you "well rounded."

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team

"I want to be a writer!"

If I may ask. What are you studying? I can't think of any study with trigonometry which someone would attend to become a writer of fiction.

Saigonnus

Auror
Nothing at the moment, just an observation how many universities and colleges attach classes to your class roster that don't really fit with your area of expertise... with what you are studying.

Like the hypothetical person taking creative writing or something similar and getting told he has to take math classes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Perhaps... but I am of the opinion they do it only so they can "pad" the schedules so they can make more money... sad really.

Maybe sometimes. But when I was in college they made us take a ton of required courses . . . and they were also 3 credits each when they could've been 4 without anyone batting an eye. I looked at the school's rubric for the difference between a 3 credit and 4 credit, and they fit the definition of the latter. They were only 3 credits because that's the only way they could fit them all into a student's schedule.

That was just the program I took, though. I'm sure many others are fudging it the other way.

C

Chessie

I am so highly annoyed with Scrivener.
It'll make your writing process easier, they said. Your books will look professional, they said. Well, **** it. I can't even get the damn thing to work with me. All of the damn tutorials out there are for Mac and I have pc. So...what then?!?!?!! This is seriously the most irritating, stupid, ****ed up learning curve of ALL time.
---end rant

Tom

Istar
Ughhhhhhh. I really wish OneNote would work properly for once. Because a huge chunk of my day is spent on the go/without computer access, I write the majority of my plot notes and worldbuilding stuff on my phone.

Well, OneNote just decided to screw me over and disable editing on my main worldbuilding file. Great. It's done this before, but this time it's also quitting the app without syncing to OneDrive. So when I open the app back up, there are huge gaps in my notes where it didn't save before quitting. I can transfer the notes in that file to the main project folder on my laptop and resume notewriting with a new file, but I kind of depend on having the notes there for reference.

Ughhhhhhhh.

Overall I just really, really hate OneNote right now.

Saigonnus

Auror
Ughhhhhhh. I really wish OneNote would work properly for once. Because a huge chunk of my day is spent on the go/without computer access, I write the majority of my plot notes and worldbuilding stuff on my phone.

Well, OneNote just decided to screw me over and disable editing on my main worldbuilding file. Great. It's done this before, but this time it's also quitting the app without syncing to OneDrive. So when I open the app back up, there are huge gaps in my notes where it didn't save before quitting. I can transfer the notes in that file to the main project folder on my laptop and resume notewriting with a new file, but I kind of depend on having the notes there for reference.

I use ABCNotes for that. Kind of like post-it's for phones or tablets. The free version is basic, but you can resize the notes as you want, change color/font or even put marks on them to show importance.

If just text, Werdsmith could work too, so you can send the work to yourself via email... or maybe onedrive, haven't tried that yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom

Nimue

Auror
I feel your pain, Tom. I haven't had any problems so far with the Google docs app-- docs can be stored offline, and I actually like the setup and appearance for writing, but it doesn't have a notey setup or tabs or anything. I also use the notes app on my phone sometimes for quicker load, but for the most part my note-taking is stream of consciousness paragraphs followed by paragraphs anyway. I just scroll through

Tom

Istar
I think the problem is that I'm very longwinded when writing worldbuilding meta, and when a file gets to a certain wordcount the app is just like "...Nope." My best bet is to transfer the notes I have, delete the file, and start over. Other than that problem, OneNote is a pretty good app. It's clean, simple, and really easy to use. I've gotten so used to writing on my phone that typing with a computer keyboard feels slow now. ;)

Nimue

Auror
I think I had a 90k doc on google docs, and while it does take a while to load to the end, it never froze up on me or failed to load. I might try the OneNote app, though--I used it pretty often on my computer, and only recently began to switch to Docs for the online sync with my phone. I do like how OneNote can be organized.

Nimue

Auror
Ahahahahaha.

If I could ask for just one thing from the universe, it would be the ability to stay focused on something for longer than a couple months... I'm completely hopeless.

Howwww are yours?