• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Random thoughts

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Sweet potato pie with marshmallows? :confused:

Apple pie with cheddar?

You're a weird bunch of people. I'm sticking with my cherry, apricot and rice pies. (Not all three combined)

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Apricot pie and rice pie are wonderful. Regional delicacies.

If you can look at rijstevlaai (rice pie) and not think it's delicious than I don't know what to say :)

IMG_7138-copy-580x386.jpg

C

Chessie

Is egg nogg ever made without rum? I guess only the alcoholic version crossed the ocean haha

Yes, it's sold at the store in cartons (with the milk). In my barista days, we would get egg nog for the season and have nog lattes on special. Ick. Ick yuck bleh!

Reactions: Ban
C

Chessie

That... does not sound good. Ick, Ick, Yuck, Bleh indeed.

Those lattes sold like crazy. We had daily deliveries of egg nog to the cafe during the holiday season, which as a barista, was hella lucrative. One wouldn't think it!

Reaver

Staff
Those lattes sold like crazy. We had daily deliveries of egg nog to the cafe during the holiday season, which as a barista, was hella lucrative. One wouldn't think it!

Leaping lizards lass! Lucrative lattes? Alliteration aside, I can't believe that someone as well spoken as you just used the word "hella".

Just kidding Chessie. ;) Hope you and your loved ones are doing well.

C

Chessie

Haha! I hope you're doing well, too Reaver! I do speak with a lot of slang and have to constantly remind myself to talk properly when in public. But ya'll are my friends so.... :D And yes, up here at least being a barista is a good living for a young person. And right before I married, I worked at a coffee hut on weekends and waitressed the other 5 days of the week and made crazy amounts of money, especially in the summer.

Reaver

Staff
You're right, Chessie, we are all friends here. :D My previous post was just a lighthearted barb. I also have to strive daily to avoid slang in public.

On another note, I have the utmost respect for anyone brave enough to navigate the unappreciated field of endeavor known as the food service industry.

C

Chessie

I only miss the money, if that tells you anything. A few weeks ago, my husband and I went out for Pho at this popular little place here in town and they were absolutely packed. People were getting upset at the waitstaff for having to wait to sit down and for their food. One lady sitting behind us got attitude with the poor server, and it took all me not to turn around and say something. It wasn't my business to mind...but I don't miss the 85% crappy part of the job ranging from rude customers to lazy co-workers and burning myself countless times somewhere in between.

Tom

Istar
Yikes, the food industry. I hope I never have to work in it again. :eek2: For some reason people seem to think it's acceptable to be rude to you when you're wearing a restaurant uniform.

C

Chessie

Those are the people who've never seen the movie "Waiting". One of my cardinal rules is "Always be incredibly kind to those who handle your food."

Not that I've ever messed anyone's food up on purpose, but there are ways food service workers get back at rude customers: taking forever to bring your beer back, cutting you off that beer, making you wait a little longer for service, etc. When people got mad at me I just played stupid "oh, I'm SO sorry."

As a barista, things were different. One customer at the cafe I worked at was an incredible pain. She was rude, had us remake her drinks every time, and didn't tip well. All of the baristas hated her. She would make out with her boyfriend in the middle of the cafe and shove her hands down his pants infront of children and families. Ick. So whenever she came in for a latte we did little things to her drinks like, fill up the syrup to half the cup or...maybe mix half and half with her skim or...give her decaf instead of regular or...the wrong kind of tea...you get the drift. I was also immature and in my 20s so I wouldn't do that sort of stuff now but I seriously hated her lol. The worst thing was when I switched cafes and she ate at the other one, too. The last time I waited on her she had me send her tuna melt back because it was too creamy. For reals, lady? Tuna sandwiches have mayo!

Reactions: Tom

Tom

Istar
When I worked at a fast food place, they put me on drive-thru, which was...haha, not the best idea. Auditory processing disorder + bad headsets? Not great. They eventually took me off headset, thank god.

But yeah, anyway, there was this one guy who always came through the drive-thru just around closing time, and I would have to stop prepping for closing to take down his order and get it expedited. He was also kind of a jerk. One winter night, in the middle of a snowstorm, he pulled up and ordered 3 cheeseburgers. I misheard him due to the bad intercom and the wind noise, and thought he said 2 cheeseburgers. When he'd finished his order I read it back to him, and he got so mad when I said I'd entered 2 cheeseburgers instead of 3. So he yells "ONE, TWO, THREE CHEESEBURGERS! THREE!" over the intercom.

Well. Everyone working the kitchen that night had a headset, so we ALL heard him. When kitchen wrapped up his burgers they wrote 1, 2, and 3 on the wrappers, and when I expedited them I put them in three individual bags also marked 1, 2, and 3. When I leaned out the window into the freezing wind and snow flurries to give him his order, I smiled as wide as I could and said, "Here's your one, two, three cheeseburgers!" in the most obnoxiously cheerful voice possible. The look on his face was priceless. Everyone had a good laugh when he pulled away.