• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Random thoughts

C

Chessie

Tom, holy shit that's hilarious! AHAHA! I used to love it when stupid people were put in their place. The last restaurant I worked at serves a high class clientel. Many drunk business people there. And where there is drunk there is also stupid. I have so many stories I could tell, but perhaps one of my favorites was a group of drunk dudes from the restaurant next door. One of the guys asked if he could buy me and I said, "hey, let me ask my boss what the going price would be. I'll be right back." And of course, she went to the table with a mighty vengeance and kicked him and his friends out into the winter night. HAHA!!

Reactions: Tom

Saigonnus

Auror
Sweet potato pie is too sweet for me, especially with marshmallows. How about apple pie? That's another one of my family's holiday favorites.

I second this! Pumpkin pie isn't my thing either, don't like the texture. Yuck!

Give me apple streusel, traditional apple, peach, mincemeat and I am happy. Give me ham over turkey... unless I make the bird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Russ

Istar
So I am watching a college football game between Arkansas and Florida on Saturday and Arkansas has this very good wide receiver/kick returner named "Jerry Cornelius".

Now Jerry Cornelius was the star of a number of Moorcock's stranger books and might have been the vehicle for the first "shared universe" type stories as a number of other authors wrote about him and his world.

It was just weird to hear the announcers keep using his name. It would be like a Tolkien fan hearing "Bilbo Baggins with the 15 yard catch on the out" all day.

Strange experience.

So I am watching a college football game between Arkansas and Florida on Saturday and Arkansas has this very good wide receiver/kick returner named "Jerry Cornelius".

Now Jerry Cornelius was the star of a number of Moorcock's stranger books and might have been the vehicle for the first "shared universe" type stories as a number of other authors wrote about him and his world.

It was just weird to hear the announcers keep using his name. It would be like a Tolkien fan hearing "Bilbo Baggins with the 15 yard catch on the out" all day.

Strange experience.

You and I both know Bilbo would be a running back in short yardage situations because he'd go right under the defense.

C

Chessie

I wonder if it's possible to infuse my story with rock n' roll. This manuscript is getting written to Def Leppard, Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, and all sorts of 80s rock. :p (this means my fantasy world has boomboxes)

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Do it! They'll all have really long fluffy hair and jeans with the knees ripped open.

On a more serious note - it shouldn't be too difficult to give it a bit of a rock n' roll feeling. A lot of that kind of stuff has a fair bit of epicosity and fantasticness infused in it, doesn't it?

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I just caught myself singing along to the music in my headphones... at my desk at work. Fortunately everyone else is wearing headphones too.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Also: Depeche Mode - When the Body Speaks

C

Chessie

It's hard not to dance along to Depeche Mode. Well, sway is more like it.

Anyone fellow Americans unable to write due to anxiety of the election? I'm not trying to get political, I just want to see if I'm the only one.

C

Chessie

Anyone fellow Americans unable to write due to anxiety of the election? I'm not trying to get political, I just want to see if I'm the only one.

No, you're not alone. Things are crazy right now and emotions are running high. I could hardly think straight yesterday but forced myself anyway and came 400 words shy of my daily word count goal.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I'm not even American, but it's affected me as well. I'm clinging to this at the moment - and I'm throwing the quote about a lot as well:
713499be1235534856f5072a3daedd5d.jpg

C

Chessie

I'm just tired of people being jerks to one another for having a different opinion. It's exhausting. So I locked myself out of Facebook temporarily. Let's hope that helps. *rolls eyes*

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Canadian here, feeling sick to my stomach over this whole thing. I've already had an American friend ask me if I have room on my couch for them to crash.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
...and as a bit of perspective: I just heard of a lifeguard friend of mine who had to spend the night in hospital after aspirating sea water while rescuing two people from an overturned boat. Everyone's okay, both the friend and the victims he saved, but it's still a bit of a contrast against everything else.

You all stay safe out there now you hear.