• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Reconsidering my Protagonist's Race

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
I understand what you mean, Gryphos. However, no one is arguing that POC characters are underrepresented in fiction. Most of us here would likely accept that as a truth, but one that is improving.

So if Luke is John Boyega's mentor that may be a great thing! It all depends on how it is handled. Does the character have his own agency? Is he treated as an individual?

This is, in fact, precisely my point. There are no hard and fast rules, and characters should be characters first and foremost. But it helps to be aware of and consider what harmful stereotypes and common perceptions apply to various elements of race in literature and reality in order to ensure that you're handling things well. Otherwise, what you think is an individual character with his own agency may look exactly like every other stereotypical depiction of that race in literature before you to a reader more familiar with the area.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Don't know. Are we all more aware and considerate now?

Who knows?

In my experience, you learn the hard way that these kinds of discussions aren't always a good indicator of people's actual behavior on these topics.