1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Sex!

Discussion in 'Writing Discussions' started by Thoras, Nov 21, 2017.

1. A. E. Lowan

A. E. Lowan Forum Mom Leadership

Helio, if you want to have fun sometime, there is a very old collection of essays, if you can get your hands on it, that does an excellent job of breaking down romance as a genre, from language usage to tropes.

https://www.amazon.com/How-Write-Ro...75608&sr=8-25&keywords=how+to+write+a+romance

One of the reasons my language tends to be a little flowery is because my mother was a romance writer and raised me on this book, and others like this one...

https://www.amazon.com/Romance-Writ...&sr=1-1&keywords=romance+writer's+phrase+book

Heliotrope likes this.
  2. Chessie2

Chessie2 Staff Article Team

Diana Galbadon's: I Give You My Body is a good resource as well.

3. Chessie2

No worries! I apologize for coming across rude. I'm sorry! <3 I should have known you wouldn't say anything like that. I misread. :D

I loved that quote, A.E. Lowan!

A. E. Lowan and Heliotrope like this.
  4. A. E. Lowan

Here's a question on topic. I've finally arrived at the chapter where we get to have fun sexy time, and I have a lot of story going on with both characters - one's never done this before, the other has never let themselves be emotionally vulnerable before. So, to head hop, or to pick the one with the most story happening and stick with their POV? I normally head hop very little, but I've been known to do it when a scene calls for it. What do you guys think? Is head hopping distracting, or does it open up the perspective?

DragonOfTheAerie likes this.
  5. Svrtnsse

Svrtnsse Staff Article Team

Spontaneously, and without knowing any of the details of either the characters or your writing style I'd say to avoid head hopping in this case. On the top of my head I can think of two reasons.
    1. The characters are already very close to each other physically and mentally and it may be tricky to keep track of who's head you're in.
    2. You may be able to play up the tension between the characters if the mind of one of them is hidden from the reader. There may be an element of uncertainty which could be used to increase the tension in the scene.

A. E. Lowan likes this.
  6. I'm not sure about your question, but this is exactly the type of thing I mean when I talk about exploring vulnerability between characters.

I mean, personally I don't like head hopping, and even if we don't get into both characters' POV's we still have limited insight into what's going on with them emotionally.

A. E. Lowan likes this.
  7. Chessie2

I totally head hop. Fire me. :)

A. E. Lowan likes this.
  8. Svrtnsse

I'm sure your stories are hot enough as they are already. :p

Chessie2 likes this.
  9. Chessie2

Writing sex isn't about being explicit, but you totally get that. In fact, I find some of the best love scenes are the ones where the author has you read between the lines.

10. Svrtnsse

Yeah, I get you. I'm just being silly.

Chessie2 and A. E. Lowan like this.
  11. A. E. Lowan

I just finished the scene, and I ended up head hopping. So far, I'm pretty pleased with it. The language is consistent with the characters and my writing partners love it. Feeling very accomplished! lol

Thoras and Svrtnsse like this.
  12. Russ

Russ Istar

Now that you are finished that scene you can have a cigarette!

13. pmmg

pmmg Auror

I was just thinking, wow, head hopping during sex, is that even possible? I don't know, but it sounds awesome already.

Michael K. Eidson likes this.
  14. Svrtnsse

<insert bad pun here>

15. LWFlouisa

LWFlouisa Troubadour

First Person Omniscient having a good time I guess.

16. Chessie2

It is totally possible. Gotta have some finesse when you're doing it though.

17. pmmg

pmmg Auror

Possible is it?

Well, Dragons do it hotter, I don't know about finesse. But if it leads to head hopping, well...maybe I've been doing it wrong.

18. A. E. Lowan

Deep POV is how I do it, and making transitions very clear.

Alerich glanced up and caught his reflection in the mirror. Well-bred, good-looking. He knew what he looked like to women. Had used his looks to get his way for years. He knew why his father had sent him. His lip curled up with revulsion. “‘I pray you, do not fall in love with me, For I am falser than vows made in wine.’”

Winter paced the bathroom floor as she brushed her hip-length hair. What was she doing? She had never invited a man to bed before, had only kissed Cian before tonight, and had only the most clinical idea of what came next.

Just like that, only with sexy bits. :D

19. LWFlouisa

LWFlouisa Troubadour

I use fiction as a coping mechanism for personal tragedy, cause I literally have nobody else that cares. Why should I censor my writing for something nobody else will even read to begin with?

Whether that be fantasy culture or sex, if that's your thing to write about. Mine happens to revolve around it.

20. Michael K. Eidson

Michael K. Eidson Archmage

I so badly want to make that pun too. :D :) :D