• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Show Us Your Desks!

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Don't you mind if I show my desktop instead of my desk? Because I worry you might think it is a junkyard LOL

That's not bad. This is my dad's desktop. He organized like a rabid ferret. I have no idea how a Navy man could turn his computer into a devotional to chaos, but he managed it with enthusiasm and flair.

Dad's UI 1.jpg

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
And then we have me. This is what happens when you have two monitors and take a screen shot. Looks like I'm turning into a super villain.

Screenshot 2024-02-20 184432.png

Mans

Minstrel
Both are good :)

I think he is mostly busy with studying, reading, and writing because he often works with all the products of Microsoft Office. It is the best choice for a retired dad, instead of wasting his time with various thoughts of joblessness.

I also do the same, but working extensively with the computer has led me to weaker eyes and a bigger monitor. LOL

I think he is mostly busy with studying, reading, and writing because he often works with all the products of Microsoft Office. It is the best choice for a retired dad, instead of wasting his time with various thoughts of joblessness.

I also do the same, but working extensively with the computer has led me to weaker eyes and a bigger monitor. LOL

Wait…you look like your avi!

That is certainly a large monitor.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Just on subject of weak eye and large monitors....

My work has replaced my monitors with two large ones side by side. They are so large, that if I look at one area of the screen the other areas are out of focus cause my eyesight is just that bad. I would prefer the smaller ones back.

Last edited:

Mans

Minstrel
Why are you pretending to be some random fellow on the internet who clearly isn't you Mans? A simple image search tells me that image has been on the internet since 2015 at least. See here. Strange behaviour.

First of all, let me say that my computer and monitor are on the floor, and I lie down in front of the system on my side while putting two pillows under my armpit. This is the same thing I have been doing for years. This method of working with my computer helps me avoid getting tired for a long time.

In the evening, after I wrote my last comment here, I fell asleep until now, for about 5 hours. That is because I stay awake at night until 4 am and wake up at 8 pm. Therefore, most of the time, I inevitably fall asleep in front of my old computer in the afternoon, unintentionally.

Yes, I am not the user in the picture. I have a humorous mood and occasionally include humor in my comments, and I thought you would get that it was humor.

If you want to see my desk it is here

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
I don't quite see how most of what you wrote relates to the preceding comments, but good to see you are willing to share a real picture. As for jokes, I am generally allergic to memes. Don't mind me being far from the target audience. Excuse the previously hostile tone on my part Mans.

BJ Swabb

Sage
Lol p

Holy crap that's a huge screen. Must have real bad eye sight.

Mans

Minstrel
Yes, I think that photo does not depict a real usage of such a screen, but it is intended to be seen as a humorous scene.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
First of all, let me say that my computer and monitor are on the floor, and I lie down in front of the system on my side while putting two pillows under my armpit. This is the same thing I have been doing for years. This method of working with my computer helps me avoid getting tired for a long time.
Ala James Joyce? It worked well for him, apparently. ;)

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
My monitors are pretty huge. My eyesight isn't what it used to be, and I'm finding I'm getting into bigger font size territory. I'm also a size queen. I've got what I'm calling Baby's First Ultrawide, 34in, and the resolution is so sexy I could count the nose hairs on a dragon.

Really, really fast. 🤪

Mans

Minstrel
^Now that's a computer. My son would be proud.
Yes, these days young people are desirous of having the best and newest digital things such as smartphones, computers, laptops, and electronic play tools. They will not be happy with their nice previous computer if they see a newer and more developed one has arrived on the market.

I sincerely hope my computer helps him understand the value of his excellent computer :)

I am satisfied with my old computer because it does whatever I expect it to do. Therefore, I am not looking for a newer one. However, if I were to look for a new computer, it would only be for the purpose of rendering complicated objects or scenes in a shorter amount of time.

Not always this clean, more often than not I have some kind snack or meal to pick at while I do other things or my sketchbook with various traditional tools scattered about lol

Been working with this set up for the past while, enjoy it quite a bit!
a665dc35afe58faafef181bee1107d6c0693f0e2.jpg

Mans

Minstrel
I am also a designer. I believe that these objects that I modeled at different times are suitable for writers, some for working and some for enjoying a cup of coffee.

Oh, unbelievable!

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Baby, writing dont mix.

And coffee? What’s that?

Maybe if you add 20 years to the baby…

Nice stuff Mans! Most of my stuff resides in the 2D realm, but 3D modelling is something I have been trying to learn as well :]

I made a model of one of my character's swords which I had printed to turn into a key chain. Haven't found the time to sand it down and paint it yet though!

164afab107c06a80158efe24609e88ab84e13f9b.pnj
378677c3c1c9430715ce10b50bd33ac0aefb89c8.jpg

As a bonus, since I saw people sharing desktops as well- here's mine. Nothing too crazy going on lol

bf2a49972e1e8bdc0423d9f7552a48f03e7d26fc.pnj

Mans

Minstrel
Baby, writing dont mix.

And coffee? What’s that?

Maybe if you add 20 years to the baby…
The baby's picture is not relevant to writers. As I explained in another post, I have a humorous mood and sometimes add something funny in my comments.

The first picture is a coffee container, and the second is a coffee cup.

Mans

Minstrel
Nice stuff Mans! Most of my stuff resides in the 2D realm, but 3D modelling is something I have been trying to learn as well :]

I made a model of one of my character's swords which I had printed to turn into a key chain. Haven't found the time to sand it down and paint it yet though!

164afab107c06a80158efe24609e88ab84e13f9b.pnj
378677c3c1c9430715ce10b50bd33ac0aefb89c8.jpg

As a bonus, since I saw people sharing desktops as well- here's mine. Nothing too crazy going on lol

bf2a49972e1e8bdc0423d9f7552a48f03e7d26fc.pnj
I am happy that you work in 2D (probably Corel).

The sword you have designed and printed is nice, although it has not been polished yet. Also, your desktop is interesting, but I usually choose a background with fewer shapes (usually a clear sky) so that I can find the icons more easily and quickly.

Working with 3D objects alongside 2D is a good choice. If you want to create engineering things, I think working with Rhino will be easier, even though it is a developed software. And if you want to shape artistic things, there are some other different software options like 3DMax.
:)