• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Social Media

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Well...social media is a con.

This looks daunting to me, and I am not one to speak (I may be on this road soon), but I think it is not a bad idea to have something setup on the major platform. But my suspicion is, you have to put a lot of energy into it to make it effective. If you have a good social media presence, that is consistent and frequent, you may make those connections that keep people interested.

Cons...a lot of work, money, too much social media will rot your brain and drain your soul... There are too many to keep up with them all. And money again.
Pros...great way to connect with fans, keep new stuff appearing, get feedback, beta readers, arc readers, make announcements, and sell you stuff.

Yes, it's tough. I find it very draining, but on the other hand, actual friendships and connections can be made. I don't think writers sell a lot of books through social media. People get fed op with self-promotion. I think give more than you get works well. Also, you have a chance to put your writing out there.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Yeah...I've always said you get back what you put in, but put in a little more does not hurt.

I think it is a way to build and maintain a fanbase, but its always uphill until it not.

I think it’s also very audience dependent. More mature readers won’t care what socials you’re on. Advertising is not the same as social media. Younger audiences will benefit more from social media updates. Just from my experience of using socials that’s what I have gathered. TikTok has been a successful means of creating hype and fanbase, not that I use it, but I’ve downloaded a fair few books that have tag lines ‘TikTok made me buy it’, but, trends are fleeting, and how long is that train going to last. I would say you really do have to be proactive, Meta Will shadowban you if you do not post regularly, for example.

You have to really know what you're doing. Each platform has a target audience and own emphasis. Also, I wonder sometimes where the real bookworms hang out 🥸

Or busy breathing in the smell of new and old books. Although, e-books are great too. I've heard that quite a few people are leaving social media. I have experienced that sm does help if you blog.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Well...I do get a trickle of book sales via ordinary (unpaid) posts to various Facebook Book groups. But...it remains a trickle, and I have to relaunch them every week or so. Do it more often than that, and you can get into trouble with the group administrators.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I think social media is just something with a shelf life. How 20 somethings are using Facebook today? Probably not as many as were when 20 years ago. I think all of them will run a pattern of being hot for a while, and then drifting down as something else takes over.

I dont know them all, but there are a lot. I don't have the energy for it. I dread the idea of going on tik tok and instagram. I barely want to use my facebook.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
I think social media is just something with a shelf life. How 20 somethings are using Facebook today? Probably not as many as were when 20 years ago. I think all of them will run a pattern of being hot for a while, and then drifting down as something else takes over.

I dont know them all, but there are a lot. I don't have the energy for it. I dread the idea of going on tik tok and instagram. I barely want to use my facebook.
Which is why I post to FB book groups - that is where the readers are. And there are quite a few dedicated to fantasy, sci-fi, horror, and variants thereof.

Groups. They are more dedicated, and you can connect with others that are interested in your niche.

I understand totally. Also, as far as I can see, a large number of older folks use FB now. Also a horrible amount of spammers and weirdos. I agree with Thinker x that groups are better if you want to connect with readers and writers. What we as writers need to take into account is the amount of time it all takes.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
For me, I am currently devoting my energy to creation. When that is done, I will devote more to promotion. At the moment, that is not where I am at. I also suspect that once I get to promotion, creation will drop way off. So, I want it all done if I can.

Sounds like a sensible way to go. Of everything I've done, blogging is the most valuable. You get a lot of writing practice. It works for me as I mainly write short stories, but it would be a hassle if I was writing a novel.

Yes, I think the groups work quite well. I'm not on any at the moment. I was spreading myself to thin. I used to share mainly poetry.