• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Some Help?

Ryan

Hello! My name is Ryan, and I am obviously new to this site. I am by no means a writer, but i do enjoy putting some of my ideas down on paper. I honestly don't even read much. I probably won't fit in very well with the rest of the community haha. I've honestly come to this site for inspiration and maybe a little help. I've been a video game enthusiast my entire life, mainly a fan of RPG's because of their deep storyline and in depth characters. I love immersing myself into a fantasy world, I'm not entirely sure why. Maybe because I have more fun in those worlds then the one we actually inhabit haha. So now that I've introduced myself a little bit, I guess I should tell you why I'm here to begin with.
As you now know, I love games and the world that they create for me to live in for a short period of time. For the past few years I've been thinking about maybe trying to create my own world and story. I've even given it a shot once or twice, but it never seems to be able to take off. I either get stuck or bored because I don't have anyone to share it with. That's why I'm here. I thought maybe I could find someone here with similar interests as me. Someone that was interested in helping me create a world for a story to take place in. Even someone to throw ideas around with would be nice. As I said before, I wasn't blessed with the ability to write like I'm sure most of you are. So if anyone would like to tag along on an adventure with me or help in any way that would be great. If you are interested just let me know and I will provide you with a way to contact me privately. Thanks for your time!

WyrdMystic

Inkling
Hi Ryan - there's plenty of people on here in the same boat and loads more willing to help and share ideas. If you have something already you can post in showcase, otherwise just browse the forums, throw your two scents in or ask questions.

Everyone here is kind and helpful...so don't be afraid to vomit out whatever, whenever!!

For world building there are a lot of tips and comments to read through, so see what there is and then come up with something.....if you already have some ideas, post them and people will be happy to feedback on them. If you have specific questions then be sure to ask....

Welcome and good luck!

SeverinR

Vala
The great benefit of this forum, is you get so many different angles of thought on each topic.

There are some topics on how to get inspiration to start a story. Until you have a full length idea, write small, make up lore for your world, little battles, look at the tall tales of our world, and retell them in your way, in your world.

Don't try to force something, you will have alot of false starts, but they will help you learn how to prepare or avoid the pitfalls you have encountered before.
Think of a character, and just throw him/her into the world, then find something interesting to do.
Maybe go the way of education, show how a wizard learns, show how to train your dragon equivalent, just start small and cultivate your imagination.
Remember, if you write to be rich and famous, you will fail 99% of the time, write for your enjoyment, you win everytime.

drumwvu

Dreamer
Someone can help you, or you can obviously create it yourself. It took me five years to create some of mine, but it was time well spent. Some things that I found that really helped shape my worlds were the following: its history, its economy, its religious/mythological threads, where its power was held (kings, dynasty, etc.) and its races. The more detail you can put into it the deeper your creation will be.