• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Talk about your avatar!

I like looking at peoples avatars and wondering what lead them to put that to display themselves(I'm not a creepy stalker I swear!) . So I made this thread in order to talk about your own avatar.
I guess some questions would be:

1) What is your avatar?
2) Why did you choose it?
3) Does it inspire your writing, in some way?

I'll start with mine.

1) My Avatar is of a lizard-like race I created for a story. This particular character doesn't actually exist yet in the story but is from a roleplaying game I am currently the GM of which takes place 200 years after the story. His name is Shadfros and he is the King Seternea(in their tongue he is known as Dry'Shadfros)

2) Since he was created for a roleplaying game; in which most of the story telling is pulled from know where, I believed his image most represented the craziness that is my mind.

3) Reminds me that I have a story to be writing and I really shouldn't be wasting time surfing the web.

1) It's from the Scott Pilgrim vs. the World avatar creator, which, sadly, does not seem to exist any more.

2) I don't want to use a real photo of myself, because I don't want everyone's monitors to crack.

3) Nope!

Chime85

Sage
1) It's Fluttershy!!

2) It's Fluttershy! I chose this picture as she is full of kindness and grace, qualities which are often overshadowed by courage or wisdom.

3) No, but it brings a smile to my face each and every time I see it.

x

FireBird

Troubadour
1- It's a phoenix.

2- Umm...I really shouldn't have to explain that one.

3- I like using phoenix's as metaphors for change and rebirth and they are mentioned in my WIP, but do they inspire my writing? Not at all.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
1) It's a picture I drew to use as avatar here.

2) I wanted something other than the default avatar and I didn't feel like browsing pictures on the web.

3) Not at all.

TWErvin2

Auror
1. It's a picture of an RPG character from years ago, Wilbur the Axeman.

2. This was a fantasy forum, so I thought a fantasy related Avatar would be appropriate. Plus, it's a neat picture.

3. No, it's not really anything that inspires writing, other than maybe how RPGs had a part in developing storytelling within me.

Shadow

Dreamer
Mine's a character I created a while ago, for a short story series I wrote.
It was the best I had on hand when I created my account.
Doesn't particularly inspire my writing, I just like the picture.

Shockley

Maester
1) The Macedonian vergina.

2) I'm a historian, primarily. This was the symbol under which Greece was united and the east was conquered.

3) Not the image specifically, but the story of Alexander absolutely does. One of my core locations is called 'Eskandria,' which is derived from the Arabic rendering of Alexander. Plus, I love the trope of the conquering hero.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
1) A cup of steaming hot coffee
2) Coffee is my fuel/drug of choice
3) The smell of roasting or brewing Coffee is what keeps me going?

Steerpike

Felis amatus
1) A cat.
2) It's a cat.
3) It doesn't inspire me in terms of writing, but unlike my real cat it doesn't hindering me by laying on notebooks, laptop keyboards, and the like :)

1) What is your avatar?
It's a solune--a symbol of a half-eclipsed sun that represents the eternal war between the Mother goddess and the Nemesis goddess in WotA--my multiverse.

2) Why did you choose it?
It's the best iconography from my series, plus I felt it was important enough to use as a cover image for my first novel. The solune is a prominent symbol in the first novel which involves the war between the goddesses being played out in the life of a single hume.

3) Does it inspire your writing, in some way?

Not particularly, although it is nice when I am "Pg Dn" on the forums and it sticks out pretty well from the other avatars.

You have no idea what it's like to explain that image to anyone with a mental maturity under eighteen.
I think I am going to avoid Googling vergina any time soon...although I may wiki it.

Chilari

Staff
1) It's a girl looking over her shoulder

2) Someone from a webcomic forum I used to frequent drew it for me. I like it and because it uses colours that don't get used much it stands out. Plus the femininity of it is a useful clue to people who see my posts, tweets and blog comments not to refer to me as "he" or "sir".

3) No.

To be honest I'm considering getting a new avatar, but don't know what. If I do it'll be one unique to me. Maybe I'll draw my WIP's main character and make that my avatar.

Graylorne

Archmage
My avatar? It's Don Quixote, an elderly idiot in rusty armour, fighting against windmills. I have that feeling sometimes, when I'm writing.