• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The influence of conotation

ascanius

Inkling
Hello everyone. This may be a little random.
So I have noticed while writing that I am having to find different words to describe certain things because I do not like the connotation. Overall this has not been a problem but a source of growth, however in some instances this become annoying.

In particular I am writing a scene where a main character is bathing and realized I cannot use the word butt due to it's minor sexual connotation, I use buttocks, in the same way I do not use boobs but breasts. In a way I find buttocks a little to sciency and would rather have something more in line with the vulgate while not having a connotation I do not like. But anyway.

While these are the most apparent to me right now I was wondering if anyone else had similar instances where the connotation of a word demanded the use of a different one? Is this necessarily bad? Any thoughts?

Neurosis

Minstrel
Hello everyone. This may be a little random.
So I have noticed while writing that I am having to find different words to describe certain things because I do not like the connotation. Overall this has not been a problem but a source of growth, however in some instances this become annoying.

In particular I am writing a scene where a main character is bathing and realized I cannot use the word butt due to it's minor sexual connotation, I use buttocks, in the same way I do not use boobs but breasts. In a way I find buttocks a little to sciency and would rather have something more in line with the vulgate while not having a connotation I do not like. But anyway.

While these are the most apparent to me right now I was wondering if anyone else had similar instances where the connotation of a word demanded the use of a different one? Is this necessarily bad? Any thoughts?

Using words with incongruous connotations to create off-kilter phrases is one of my favourite things. I think they are a great tool if used with deliberate care.

Jess A

Archmage
This is quite an interesting topic, really.

When you consider the different language and word usage in sci-fi/fantasy over the past century, you have an interesting case study where 'connotations' are concerned (in the context that you are describing). Different generations and decades (and centuries) would have viewed certain words differently.

Consider the word 'green'. Green once meant a colour (or perhaps unskilled, 'wet behind the ears'), but now it symbolises environmentalism and energy efficiency (etc).

You would be writing for a modern audience. I can see your dilemma. I can't think of an example right now, but I have come across this problem before. I want to use a word that might seem normal in a historical context, but which would be misinterpreted by modern audiences (people who are perhaps coming to the genre for the first time). I try to imagine what my readers might think!

If you use it in the right context (and it is well-written), you can avoid misinterpretations. Returning to the 'green' example: If it was used in a medieval context (for example), the reader would (presumably) not assume environmentalism.

I agree that with some words, it doesn't matter how they are used - it still expresses the wrong thing. :/

I hope this makes sense. I am very tired...

My girlfriend and I were talking about this last night.

There a are a number of words in my book that probably don't belong in the world I've created, but the whole thing is a "translation" anyways. My book is told by a narrator from Earth, speaking English, obviously, though the story takes place, you know, in a galaxy a long long time ago and once upon a time. As I'm writing for earthlings and not for the people in my book, it only makes sense that I'd use our words to describe what was happening. Like a book written in french, some words would be changed in its english translation.

This isn't quite the same as anachronism, where a word doesn't fit into the timeline of a world. Remember, just because the people of your world wouldn't use a word, it doens't mean your narrator wouldn't.

That being said, I'd do anything to avoid using the word "butt" or "buttocks". What about hindquarters? rump? ba-donk-a-donk?

ascanius

Inkling
well, not sure ba-donk-a-donk will work but it leaves me with little choice on what to use. How does one come up with words that do not have certain connotation. In Goerge R.R. Martians works he uses 'sex' to mean the sexual organs of male and females without using penis, or vagina. I think he came into the same problem I have. But there are others for instance the word 'slavery' as a negative connotation relating to racism, especially in the US. One where if I do not go and explain it can leave the reader with only that connotation to work with. This is made more difficult with the fact that very few people have a historical understanding of slavery prior to the African slave trade, that it had nothing to do with racism and hate. Yes, I can show the differences through the interactions between the slave and master, showing that it has nothing to do with hate, but the connotation still exists. But that still leaves words pertaining to sex, the body, and other touchy subjects steeped in media connotation. This would make a great thesis paper if I were in the English department. anyway, instead of what not to use what should I use? How can I get around this without the negative connotations, should I go with words so draconian that the reader is required to have a dictionary handy, along with me.
Going back to the butt word, the list is very limited, butt or buttocks, hide quarters or rear. But then the problem arises of being to broad, to general, or incorrect usage. When I think of the word hind quarters I think of a horses hind quarters, not a persons butt. rear is just as bad, it is too general, too generic. What is the right answer.
I can go on to more general things like paved road, ok, house, home, that unless I am careful will leave the reader with the image of a modern day house, asphalt paved roads. Even the word ok I have been extremely cautions to exclude from all dialog but what to replace it with, what would a person at that time period have said?

Needamedic

Dreamer
I tend to think that it is the context that you use rather than the words themselves. If your story is being told consistently in a certain way, then using certain words can and should be used. Remember, the reader doesn't know you (the author) he just knows the story and the characters.

Graham's story makes me think of L. Ron Hubbard's Mission Earth series. This story was told by an alien (Voltarian) and interpreted to English by a machine (translataphone). The beginning of each book includes a 'Censor's Disclaimer' stating that Earth doesn't exist and a 'Translator's Preface' that states certain connotation problems in translating 'Voltarian to English'.

It is all in how you tell the story, how you present the context and what you want to portray to the reader.