• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The short-winded writer

Except I do not know this beta reader or their history with reading in general, whether it be in fantasy, literary, sci-fi, or the back of a cereal box (no offense to this beta reader, of course). And, this is ONE beta reader. If there were FIVE beta readers saying the exact same thing, then you might have a point.

Like I said, I've been getting this for years. It's the most common comment about my stories, and it's almost always phrased negatively instead of positively.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Except I do not know this beta reader or their history with reading in general, whether it be in fantasy, literary, sci-fi, or the back of a cereal box (no offense to this beta reader, of course). And, this is ONE beta reader. If there were FIVE beta readers saying the exact same thing, then you might have a point.

And why should your opinion carry more weight than the beta reader's? (No offense of course.) It doesn't matter if you don't trust the beta reader. What matters is that Feo Takahari does thrust them. And have you even read the initial post? It explicitly states
In one form or another, I have been getting this complaint for years.

SeverinR

Vala
". . your writing will introduce many (often complex) concepts very quickly, and doesn't allow enough repetition, emphasis or establishing time for these new ideas to sink in. That is, your stories are often too short . . . Eternal, for instance, introduced some very big themes with romance, religion, redemption, the afterlife and regrets; having a rich and interesting setting using tons of fantasy elements; and had several plot threads/character POVs happening concurrently."
You have the basis for expanding on what you have written.
I would assume you could expand on the ideas and themes, go into more depth of how or why these things are included.

"story owl swallowed it, digested all the meat, then coughed up the novel's plot-bones in a dense novelette pellet. "
Basically you have a skeleton of a story, you need more meat, flesh, hair, get into the story, tell of the things mentioned quickly in depth. It means you have a great frame work, but can't make it live.

Its hard to point out places to expand, but if you mention it, maybe explain it a little more?

Zireael

Troubadour
"story owl swallowed it, digested all the meat, then coughed up the novel's plot-bones in a dense novelette pellet. "

The comparison is brilliant!

Somebody upthread mentioned Ye Olde Writings style - do you think using it could help? I sort of have the similar problem as the OP...