1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

The Story You're Listening To. . .

Discussion in 'Novels & Stories' started by Maker of Things Not Kings, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Just listened to LeVar Burton reading Tobias S. Buckell's "Shoggoths in Traffic".

What a wonderful short story. I'd highly recommend it. :)
    (LeVar Burton Reads - Episode 50)

Sooooo, what's the last good story you've heard?

2. CupofJoe

CupofJoe Myth Weaver

Not SF or F but Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird read by Sissy Spacek. It's an unabridged narration so is 12+ hours long. For me, her voice is perfect, just enough southern drawl to give a place and time without dominating the words.
    A big disappointment to me was Neil Gaiman narrating his own story Neverwhere.
    He writes off the page, but there is a reason people like Stephen Fry get paid a lot of money to do the audio books. I've got two five hour drives ahead of me so maybe I'll give it another go then.

3. I'd love to hear To Kill a Mockingbird read. I'll put that on our list. I haven't heard Gaiman read Neverwhere but I did love his reading of The Ocean at the End of the Lane. I agree about readers. Our library's online services have a section in audiobooks titled British Readers. I turn there first for a new book because, while not all British readers make a great reader, it's a better bet than anything else. :)

CupofJoe likes this.
  4. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

| You are not prepared. "Mark Reads" is my go-to for listening to stories. He's reading every one for the first time, so it turns out as half-reading aloud, half commentary, with each chapter/section having a typed up review as well.

5. Ahhh I'll be sure to check that out, thank you Ireth! I'd never heard of it.

Ireth likes this.
  6. Miles Lacey

Miles Lacey Sage

I usually go to YouTube to hear audio books. The last book I heard was The Years of Rice and Salt by Kim Stanley Robinson. Amazing story.

7. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

Finishing up the latest Joe Pike and Elvis Cole novel on audible. They’re fast, fun reads. This is the first one I’ve had in audio format. Good book. A few minor issues with the narrator.

8. Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast Acolyte

I'm in the car for two hours per day so I get through a lot. I've just gone through all the Harry Potters again. Stephen Fry reading. There goes my chance to impress with an obscure, highly cultured and intellectual choice of literature :cautious:

Miles Lacey likes this.