• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Time to move to the UK

Ooo, ooo! This is where you speak in a thick accent about the hunt and prattle on about the Queen. Throw something in about the colonies and what the savages do... Yes, this will do quite nice.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
In Japan you can buy milk tea. That's right. The milk and tea are already together! So you could move to Japan too if you wanted.
Hong Kong has that. Coffee tea, too. I think coffee tea comes with milk, and for some reason I think it comes without sugar and so does the restaurant.

Also, 20 replies in less than two hours? On the topic of tea and milk? Who'da thunk it?

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Convince me not to leave as well, Sidekick. I have no plans to, but I feel like I'll regret it if I do it in the future.

By the way, I tried milk tea, but it made me do a spit-take. I do like some kind of ginger tea au lait thing I found here. I drink it almost everyday. So I guess I do like milk tea, as long as it's a flavor I like.

Ghost

Inkling
I flavor my tea with half & half and honey. Milk is too weak for me, probably because I don't care for bitterness in drinks. (On the rare occasions when I drink coffee, my cup has more milk and sugar than coffee.) No one I know drinks hot tea, unless they're sick and then it's lemon tea or green tea.

I'm the last person anyone would go to for tea tips because I drink matcha with heavy cream, vanilla, cinnamon, and maple syrup. :eek:

Ireth

Myth Weaver
I adore a good cup of tea, with cream and plenty of sugar. Earl Grey is possibly my favorite, and chai isn't far behind. I don't care for green tea, and I only drink fruit teas on occasion.

Also, chocolate chai lattes are amazing. Full stop. I first had one in a coffeeshop in Jasper, AB this past summer, and fell in love. Seriously, it was a "where have you been all my life?!" moment.

Reaver

Staff
I love chai.

And it's the only tea I add milk to.

Delight, actually.

Maybe I'm the one who's un-American.

Or am I just wussy?

The Legendary One could never be a wussy. Saying you're a wussy for drinking chai is like saying Chuck Norris's beard isn't awesome. You've just made drinking chai cool.

Chilari

Staff
I'm British and I don't even drink tea at all.

No objections to mum's homemade banana tea bread though. That stuff is delicious. So I eat tea occasionally. In a cake.

For the record, a milky tea with two or more sugars is known as a "builders' tea", as in, when you've got people working on your house, building an extension, installing a new bathroom, fixing the roof, etc, and you offer them a cuppa, that's most likely what they'll ask for. I don't know why.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
I've done it both ways. Is there a preferred order? Just now I did tea first, but a couple of days ago I put milk in the cup first while I was waiting for the tea to be ready :)
According to etiquette when making tea from leaf tea in a pot you must put the tea in to the cup before adding the milk - it proves you are not using second quality tea [that had dusk and various detritus in it] and are therefore generally richer and posher than everyone else... We must have our standards!

Jess A

Archmage
I drink quite a lot of tea. I suppose you'd add milk to some tea but not other types of tea. And I'm the sort who sometimes feels like milk and sometimes doesn't. I'm the same with coffee. I never add sugar (detest sugar in coffee and tea, yuck, but others in my family disagree). But I will sometimes have various types of milk, or soy/almond etc milk. If I order coffee and tea out, I usually get milk. If I'm at home, I drink it without. I rarely use milk for anything else so unless I have miniature milks, it would be a waste because it'd just go off in a few days. So I guess it's habit and practicality for me!

For the record, a milky tea with two or more sugars is known as a "builders' tea", as in, when you've got people working on your house, building an extension, installing a new bathroom, fixing the roof, etc, and you offer them a cuppa, that's most likely what they'll ask for. I don't know why.

It's so true. That is exactly what they ask for every time. Almost without fail.

Just to let you know, you aren't alone on the adding milk to tea in California. My best friend loves to add milk. Though interestingly enough she will be moving to the UK very soon... But, even without that I can assure you that you aren't alone as I'm a barista at Starbucks and there are several people that order Tea Mistos.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Just to let you know, you aren't alone on the adding milk to tea in California. My best friend loves to add milk. Though interestingly enough she will be moving to the UK very soon... But, even without that I can assure you that you aren't alone as I'm a barista at Starbucks and there are several people that order Tea Mistos.

Heh. Good to know I'm not alone. I've never ordered tea at Starbucks. I'll keep that in mind next time I am there.

Yeah, just tell them the type of hot tea you want and what type of milk you want. They might call it a Tea Latte. This is only if you want the milk hot obviously, otherwise you can just add it.
Also, I have no idea how you'll feel about this, but we do have two tea drinks that people order that aren't on the menu: The London Fog-an Earl Grey tea misto with vanilla added-and the sick tea-one tea bag of mint tea and another of chamomlie and then steamed lemonade is added on top. People swear that it helps a sore throat.

Mindfire

Istar
I only really drink herbal teas, and never with milk. Milk goes horribly with peppermint as I once discovered. xP

Last edited:

Chilari

Staff
When I said I'm not a tea drinker, I didn't consider herbal teas. I mean, from a British point of view, herbal teas aren't realy tea. They're hot cordials in teabags if anything. Any tea but brown tea isn't real tea, not of the (in)famous British tea drinking variety. So I do drink herbal teas (often with sugar, not attempted milk though) but not real tea.

Rebekah-Marie: what is "misto"? Does that mean milk? Never heard of that. As for the London Fog tea, never heard of anyone adding vanilla to their tea either. Cinnamon to coffee, sure, but never vanilla to tea. Weird.

Chilari

Staff
That would be a really milky tea. You're basically drinking flavoured milk at that stage. Half milk is more even than a builder would dare. Weird.

Just goes to show why us Brits are the guardians of tea and Californians are not.