• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Top 5 Fantasy Films

James Lecky

Dreamer
I rather enjoyed Solomon Kane, too, despite a few misgivings. James Purefoy was well cast and there were some good action scenes - it strayed quite a bit from Robert E. Howard's original, but then again, there are things in Howard's work that would be less than acceptable to modern audiences.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I rather enjoyed Solomon Kane, too, despite a few misgivings. James Purefoy was well cast and there were some good action scenes - it strayed quite a bit from Robert E. Howard's original, but then again, there are things in Howard's work that would be less than acceptable to modern audiences.

Yes, exactly. It wasn't perfect, and it departed from the lore, but on the whole I thought it was good. As opposed to the most recent Conan, which I thought was good at the start, when Conan was a boy, and went downhill from there (despite the fact that I thought the actor cast was just fine in the role).

So I recently saw Ladyhawke and Labyrinth.

I can't say I liked Ladyhawke much. I mean, it's watchable, but the soundtrack was kinda inappropriate, the special effects were laughable even by 1985 standards, Matthew Broderick's acting was atrocious, Michelle Pfeiffer did her best but her character had no personality, and I could barely hear Rutger Hauer over the constant rubbery creaking of his leather outfit. I did enjoy the random Alfred Molina appearance. The rest of the movie was kinda forgettable, though.

On the other hand, Labyrinth was really good. I kinda wish I'd seen it as a kid, because it seems like the sort of movie that would have really influenced my younger self.

I thought it felt forced and additionally it left me dissatisfied.
You were really happy with the everyone lives happily ever after?

I'm always happy with the everyone lives happily ever after.

I liked Solomon Kane. I thought it was an enjoyable film.

I just kinda kept thinking: "There is no way this takes place 16th century England. No way." I really tried to enjoy it, but when the villain started crucifying people, my suspension of disbelief was crucified along with them.

Last edited: