• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What are you Reading Now?

Mythopoet

Auror
I've started reading Lilith by George MacDonald. His novel Phantastes is more famous as one of the earliest true fantasy novels. Lilith comes 37 years later, shares a lot of similarities with Phantastes, but (so far) is clearly the better written book. Phantastes was a slog without any seeming point, but Lilith is really drawing me in and giving my kindle's highlight function a lot of work. I highly recommend it if you're interested in very early fantasy.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Still reading Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey - I think I'm 100 or so pages from the end.
It's great so far, really loving it. I enjoyed it well enough throughout but once the pov characters meet it really picks up and just gets so good.
I think Steerpike(?) recommended it a long time ago and I've only just recently got around to reading it, and I'm very glad I did so far.

All of the books in the series are quite good :)

teacup

Auror
Just finished Leviathan Wakes - loved it. I'll definitely read the sequel.
Steerpike - THEY'RE MAKING A TV SHOW OF IT. It airs this December on the SyFy channel. It's named "The Expanse"

Incanus

Auror
I'm reading the two original Alice in Wonderland stories. I'm totally embarrased to admit it but, I'm reading these for the very first time. It's really great, but that practically goes without saying. Well, at least I'll soon cross one more classic off the reading list.

Scribe Lord

Minstrel
I just started reading Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay. I've read his The Lions of Al-Rassan and Under Heaven already and enjoyed them. While I don't always connect with all his characters, I particularly like Kay's writing style.

teacup

Auror
Just finished Red Country. Good book, should have read the books preceding it, but I enjoyed it.
Abercrombie?
Awww maan you've got to read the rest! The Blade Itself and Red Country are my least favourite of the lot, but I did like them. Think you'll go back and start from the beginning?

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Abercrombie?
Awww maan you've got to read the rest! The Blade Itself and Red Country are my least favourite of the lot, but I did like them. Think you'll go back and start from the beginning?

I think Best Served Cold and Red Country have been my favorites, though apart from The Blade Itself, I think they're all great.

teacup

Auror
I think Best Served Cold and Red Country have been my favorites, though apart from The Blade Itself, I think they're all great.

My favourites are a tie between The Heroes and Best Served Cold :D I agree - I liked The Blade Itself well enough by the end of it, but all the rest are much better. I remember reading book 1 thinking "what's all this hype about?" then by book 2 I just loved it all.

Incanus

Auror
Maybe I need to check out more Abercrombie then as well. Only read Blade--was luke warm on it.

Wish I could read faster--

Mythopoet

Auror
I just finished the manga Trigun. It was truly excellent except that it was sometimes hard to read. The images were often unclear and hard to follow and it was often very ambiguous where the dialogue was coming from since none of the speech bubbles had the little tags for pointing to the speaking character. Still, I'm really glad I read it. There were a lot of differences from the anime, and I'm really excited about how this is going to develop in the sequel Trigun Maximum.

Just picked up a non-fantasy novel to keep me from burning out like a did during the summer. It's another Grisham. I am trying to figure out the structure of his legal thrillers.

FatCat

Maester
I've been reading a lot of PKD, I really love how he condenses a story into an idea. Every novel deals with a very concrete issue and doesn't complicate the narrative with anything other than that idea. It's such tight writing in terms of subject.

Mythopoet

Auror
Well, I finished Lilith by George MacDonald. It started out really well, but after a while it starting hitting the reader over the head with Christian allegory. At least when Lewis did it he kept it part of an entertaining story.

Since it's October, I'm going to read Frankenstein next.

Tom

Istar
I'm going to re-read Neil Gaiman's Stardust. It's been a while since I've picked it up.

I'm also reading through a hefty volume I found, called Masterworks at the Albright-Knox Art Gallery. As a college student with a busy schedule, I haven't had time recently to visit the Gallery, and it's great to have a book of many of the famous works exhibited there. I'm actually going to use the book as a source for my next paper, which will compare and contrast traditional and abstract art.

Russ

Istar
About half way through Moorcock's latest, the Whispering Swarm. A very unusual book, but I am enjoying it and I am glad he had the courage to write it.