1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

What are you Reading Now?

Discussion in 'Novels & Stories' started by Mythopoet, Dec 12, 2013.

1. CupofJoe

CupofJoe Vala

Of course I meant ROBERT Harris...
    Has anyone read The Peshawar Lancers by S M Stirling?

2. pmmg

pmmg Auror

I recently finished...A wrinkle in time. Which...is first to go on my list of classic books I did not like.

Prior to that, I read the Iliad and the Odyssey, which was not at all like I had been led to believe from all the legends.

I am now reading Outpost, monsters, maces, and magic, by our very own Terry Ervin. I would not call it an instant classic, but I've been enjoying it so far. Good job Mr. Ervin.

3. pmmg

pmmg Auror

Seven times? I don't think I could read any book seven times, save for maybe Horton Hears a Who, and only cause I had kids. There is just too much else I have to catch up on.

I don't think I would even read any book a second time...

4. Gurkhal

Gurkhal Archmage

Did you find Homeros to have been better or worse from what you believed?

5. pmmg

pmmg Auror

Well...I enjoyed it.

Some things that stood out to me.

Most prominently was that the Greek heroes did not seem to do anything unless a God was somehow involved. To my brain, I was like, if the outcome of this war solely depends on what Zeus decides, then why not wait till Zeus makes up his mind and do that? And on a daily basis...Athena tells Hector to go fight today but stay away from the ships, so he does and has a great day, but the next day, she says stay in bed till noon, and then make offerings so that Apollo will be pleased...then he does cause they cannot win that day. And so I ask, if they just do what they are told, are they really Heroes? I mean, anyone can do what they did if Athena and Apollo were really making it happen.

The great level of detail of the blows in the battle and who was in it. Ajax does not just kill nameless people, but he kills Dudeicles, son of other-dudeicles, a farmer from Minoa who raised 25 sheep, and son of last-dudeicles, who was once favored by Poseidon. And he was not just struck down, but hit above his left nipple, where the armor had left and gap, and fell near a juniper bush. Why include all that detail? To me, that reads as someone trying to recount an actual event (which, others seem to have followed and believe that Troy has been discovered). It reminded of genealogy passages in the bible. So and So begot So and So, and they begot and so on....

Some other things that popped out were attitudes towards men, women, slaves, warriors, gods, war, armor, weapons, bronze and rituals. They all played big roles in the stories.

Then there was all of this.

The story about Paris and the contest of the three Goddesses, where he chooses Aphrodite, and thereby wins Helen....Not in there

The Story of Achilles being dipped in the river Styx and becoming impervious...Not in there.

The Idea that Achilles had to be shot in the heel...Not in there.

The story that it was Paris who killed Achilles...Not in there.

The story of the Trojan horse...Not in there.

At the end, I was feeling everything I had been told was a lie.

And the Odyssey was similar. We start with a long portion following Telemachus, and all the stories about the Cyclops, the sirens, Circe, and all that...it was stuff that had already happened, and Telemachus just finds out about it. Telemachus was a pretty big character, and I did begin to wonder if Odysseus was ever really going to be in the story. He was by the end, enough to kill all the suitors.

Funny about that, after Odysseus kills all the suitors, he becomes very concerned that there may be reprisals by their families. That also seemed like maybe a recounting of a real event, and not just a myth about a hero. Why show the hero in that way? Might be because something had happened and he was a real dude concerned about others coming after him. Don't know.

It was very cool. I've read a lot of classics and have found I've enjoyed all of them much more than I thought (other than the one mentioned above...)

My biggest take away...the Greeks really loved their gods.

What did you think if you had read it?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    Gurkhal likes this.
  6. I reread my favourites over and over. Plus I can read a 500 paged book in a day, no problem, so...

7. Mythopoet

Mythopoet Auror

Yeah, there is a tendency for some reason to refer to any myth pertaining to the Trojan War and the heroes of the war as being part of the Iliad. I'm not sure why. But I've definitely seen that suggestion everywhere. The fact is that a great deal of the mythology related to those characters is not in The Iliad at all but in other sources.

Gurkhal likes this.
  8. Mythopoet

Mythopoet Auror

I read the book Half World by Hiromi Goto. It was way down on my Amazon book wishlist but got accidentally sent to me recently along with another book I ordered. So while one of my kids was using my kindle I grabbed it and gave it a shot. And I was very pleasantly surprised by it. From the writing style I think it was a middle grade book which I hadn't realized when I first saw it recommended but that didn't bother me much. It was a good, quick supernatural adventure story.

Now I'm digging into stories by Arthur Machen. I'd read The Three Imposters before, now I've added The White People and The Great God Pan to that and am rereading The Three Imposters.

9. Nimue

Nimue Auror

Recently tried Goodreads and had the worst run of recommendations - four very watery books, two trad pub and two indie. Interestingly, all of them came to a non-ending that was meant to get you to read the sequel. I'm always a little puzzled about how not ending the first book is supposed to give the reader faith that a satisfying ending is forthcoming...at some point. (This may also be why I don't watch much TV.)

I am loving Elizabeth Bear's Range of Ghosts, though, or at least the beautiful writing and worldbuilding. Not entirely sold on the plot, at halfway through... Particularly interested in this one because I have a steppe-based world revolving in the back of my mind--I was a little worried that I'd read it to find she'd taken all the good ideas already, but it's very different from what I'm hoping to write...someday?

Also finally got around to Roger Zelazny's Nine Princes in Amber - it's fascinating how a book that isn't my cup of tea (fast paced, spartan writing, archetypal world) can still be completely compelling when it comes from a masterful author. Case study on hooks and intriguing characterization. Now, that book also didn't have a complete ending, but it had resolution. Close the chapter, if not the story.

Mythopoet likes this.
  10. I'm wondering how many books there will be in the Old Kingdom series again. I might reread Sabriel or Lirael this week.

11. Mythopoet

Mythopoet Auror

One of my favorite series! I even named one of my kids after the MC, Corwin. :)

12. Nimue

Nimue Auror

Hah! Isn't that the end-goal of fantasy readers, to find a character that we could get away with naming a kid after? Corwin is a lovely name. :D Starting The Guns of Avalon today!

13. skip.knox

skip.knox toujours gai, archie Moderator

And my daughter-in-law is named Amber. New author success measure: number of kids named after characters in your books!

14. I'm not going to have kids. I'm going to have cats. I suppose I could name one of them Galadriel or Luthien...

15. Orc Knight

Orc Knight Maester

Started Turtledoves Sentry Peak book and therefore the rest of the series and also read the first Steam Wars comic. Surprisingly good for a steampunk version of Star Wars.

16. Mytherea

Mytherea Minstrel

Just started The Waking Fire by Anthony Ryan. Never read any of his stuff before, so I'm hoping to avoid the "it's not like his other series" complaint that seems most prevalent on Goodreads. So far, I'm liking the merging of an almost steampunk-Victorian technological level, magic, secondary world fantasy, and dragons.

I tried reading From Unseen Fire by Cass Morris but found it... hard to get into. A lot of names, a lot of similar sounding names introduced with very little context, plus I was suffering from point-of-view whiplash (I think three PoV characters were introduced in less than twenty pages? I prefer a little more time to get attached to PoV characters before it switches on me--also, some serious white-room issues, imo. Very little scene or character descriptions, which made it yet more difficult to get attached to the PoV characters).

17. Mae Lee

Mae Lee Acolyte

Anyone like Chinese fantasy? I've been reading Battling Records of the Chosen One by Xiao Jinyu on novelspread. it's fantasy novels with an intriguing start. The MC was completely on his own with his cultivation, a special way to make himself stronger. because his adopter was killed by some mysterious power. And, the most intriguing part is that before their parting, his adopter imparted something about his parents who were in fact killed by someone hidden in an empire called Ziyao (no idea what it means, though...) so he went to the empire with two treasures that were meant to bring him luck and power......
    Seems like i've written too much about the plot. Anyway, just wanna say that Chinese fantasy is kind of addictive. when you start a book, it's really hard to stop.
    Ah...if you happen to have also read some similar novels, please let me know. I've read some comments say that WDQK is also great, so i guess that'll be my next. but if you got something else to recommend plz...

18. Mythopoet

Mythopoet Auror

I'm afraid I couldn't find any information on the novel you mentioned. I tried googling it by title and by author but couldn't find it.

19. Mae Lee

Mae Lee Acolyte

lol...sorry, i read it on Novelspread, a site that i stumbled across on Facebook, it directs me directly to the site. But i just googled it, didn't find it either...only find it when i type the site's complete name. Perhaps it's new site.
    I tried to send a link, but not allowed to...so i guess you have to input it yourself...that is novelspread with 3Ws before and a 'com' after it...never told anyone a site like this. Funny experience...lol

20. Mythopoet

Mythopoet Auror

I see. So it appears to be a website dedicated to translating Asian web novels. Some of those things become monstrous, I hear.