1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

What are you Reading Now?

Discussion in 'Novels & Stories' started by Mythopoet, Dec 12, 2013.

1. I just reread Good Omens for the third time. :ROFLMAO: It never fails to cheer me up; rather ironic for a book about the apocalypse.

2. I've only read the first Anne book and the Emily trilogy. Is The Blue Castle one of her best, in your opinion?

3. neodoering

neodoering Minstrel

I am reading Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. It's quite enjoyable, with the language of 18th century Geneva giving it an high-falutin' feel. The story is relatively simple and straightforward, but it is oddly affecting, and I keep finding myself sympathizing with this character or that one. Amazing how one book can stand up for hundreds of years while others fall by the wayside. The book is short, about 200 pages, and they go by pretty quickly.

Also reading Munro Edmonson's translation of the Popol Vuh, which is the Bible of the Maya Indians in the highlands of Guatemala. I selected it because the translator rendered it in couplets. This definitely imposes a different cadence than, say, Dennis Tedlock's translation, but the couplets don't seem to really add depth to the stories. An interesting experiment, though, and I enjoy reading it.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    DragonOfTheAerie likes this.
  4. Dudeicles lololol

All those other stories are in other works. I was surprised to find them gone too (I read them in eighth grade. The Iliad was very miserable to me; the medically detailed deaths got repetitive. The Odyssey was better.)

I remember making up nicknames for all the characters. Agamemnon and Menelaus were Aggie and Minnie. I don't remember what I called Achilles but I thought he was a whiny drama queen with all the maturity of a six year old boy.

5. My mom has read every L.M. Montgomery book, but I don't seem to like any of them.

6. I'm reading Radiance by Catherynne M. Valente. Just picking up anything falling under weird fiction has been my reading habit for some time.

Anyway, this is a luscious, velvety, rich, plush work. The writing style is both brilliant and incredibly lush. It's like a silky chocolate truffle filled with creamy, dark fudgy filling and drizzled with rich white chocolate. It's a fantastical lava cookie full of adjectives and metaphors. It is absolutely lavish. Unfortunately for the first 100 pages there was really not much of a story to go with it. Now there is a story. I'm liking it. Things are looking up.

The writing is goals, though would anyone know what the shit i was saying if i reached that goal?

7. Gurkhal

Gurkhal Auror

I'm reading "The World of Odysseus" for a project and I hope to be able to get back into fiction as soon as possible.

8. Mythopoet

Mythopoet Auror

You should read the whole Anne series! It's so good! And yes, I think The Blue Castle is one of her best. A really satisfying story.

Thanks for mentioning this. It's perfect for my needs.

9. skip.knox

skip.knox toujours gai, archie Moderator

Is that M.I. Finley's book? Still a classic.

10. Gurkhal

Gurkhal Auror

Happy to help. :)

That very one. :)

11. Laurence

Laurence Inkling

About 20 pages into Eve of Snows by L. James Rice (Demesnedenoir) and I'm hooked. The girlfriend's away—think it's going to be a late one.

12. Chessie2

Chessie2 Staff Article Team

I found this interesting book at the library, 'Faerie Fruit' by Charlotte E. English. The blurb intrigued me, as did her prose once I read the first couple of pages. It's beautifully written and somewhat haunting. So far I really like it. Quite different than what I normally read.

13. Mythopoet

Mythopoet Auror

The blurb reminds me a lot of the classic "Lud-in-the-Mist" by Hope Mirrlees, which I love. I'd give it a try if it were on kindle.

I am currently rereading Phantastes by George MacDonald, one of the first unambiguously fantasy novels. I read it years ago but decided it was time for a refresher. It's a very odd novel, almost like The Odyssey in Fairy Land.

Also reading The Basque Country: A Cultural History by Paddy Woodworth. It's super fascinating.

14. I'm reading a couple Joseph Cambpell books.

15. Gurkhal

Gurkhal Auror

Just finished "The World of Odysseus" and I'm not turning to "The King Must Die". Finally some fiction for me. :)

Also I've cleared out a bunch of books that I have either read already and they weren't so good that I want to keep them, or know that I never will get around to read them. Thus what remains is for me to buy two new books and I'm thinking about either more historical fiction about ancient Greece or fantasy.

Historical fiction - Can't get enough of ancient Greece :D
    Gates of Fire - Steven Pressfield
    Song of Achilles - Madeline Miller

Or

Fantasy - I've alread read "The Worm Ouroboros" by the same author and liked it very much. Hopefully I'll some day be able to get my hands on the third part of the series "The Mezentian Gate" but I don't really hold out for it.
    Mistress of Mistresses - E.R Eddison
    A Fish Dinner in Memison - E.R Eddison

16. Recently finished The Scar by China Mieville. The world building was amazing. The guy clearly has a wild, vibrant and quite sick and twisted imagination. Which I absolutely loved. But the book had literally nothing else going for it for me. I was not very invested in the plot and loathed the main character. It was a relief to finish. I liked Tanner a hell of a lot more than Bellis and probably would have rated the book higher if it had just been about him. He was more sympathetic and his gills were rad.

After that I turned to a middle grade novel, Keeper of the Lost Cities, and found that it sucked, with really shoddy world building and ideas and a way too perfect and desired and envied and powerful main character. Those are not just expected qualities of middle grade novels. There are really good ones out there (though no more common than good books in other categories) and this was not one.

(If anyone wants examples of good middle grade fantasy novels I strongly suggest The Twistrose Key. There's a few others I loved when I was like 12, but that was too long ago for me to properly recommend them now...)

Now I am reading The Half-Drowned King by Linnea Hartsuyker. Thinking it's a historical fiction with some mythology stuff mixed in? Not sure yet.

Actually i'm technically "currently reading" like 7 things on Goodreads. Oops?

I'm seriously wondering if it's too soon to reread Six of Crows...

17. Gurkhal

Gurkhal Auror

Guess I might not be reading "The King Must Die" after all. An idea came into my mind to finish the reading of all the supplements to the RPG Werewolf: The Forsaken once and for all. This is something that I've been procastrinating for a long time and I feel that now it may be the time to face this challenge.

18. Is there a reason why children's books are often better than literally anything else? Or am i just lucky/unlucky?

19. skip.knox

skip.knox toujours gai, archie Moderator

Lucky/unlucky. None of what I regard as truly great books, the ones that affected me most and have stayed with me the longest, are anything close to being a book for children.

Currently reading multiple books
    The Innocence of Father Brown, G.K. Chesterton
    The Caine Mutiny, Herman Wouk
    The Pitch that Killed, Mike Sowell

20. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

Schild's Ladder, by Greg Egan
    The Alchemist, by Paolo Coehlo
    Godstalker Chronicles, P.C. Hodgell