• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What do you listen to?

Russ

Istar
I listen to CD's from writer's conferences on long drives. Love learning from the masters during dead time.

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
Because I'm writing a pirate thing I listen to a lot of 17th C fiddle music, but honestly, Lindsay Sterling is the bomb! I've been listening to her non-stop, and me son has asked if he can take violin lessons :)

*Edit: Apparently I've started talking like a pirate as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because I'm writing a pirate thing I listen to a lot of 17th C fiddle music, but honestly, Lindsay Sterling is the bomb! I've been listening to her non-stop, and me son has asked if he can take violin lessons :)

*Edit: Apparently I've started talking like a pirate as well.

Lindsey Stirling is great.

Phin Scardaw

Troubadour
[video=youtube_share;uhBewKu80Mg]https://youtu.be/uhBewKu80Mg[/video]

Recently I've been listening to The Social Network Soundtrack to jive with Trent Reznor, as well as The Broken Bells, whose music videos feature the ill-fated Anton Yelchin (R.I.P.) as well as Moderat and Emancipator.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Dicovering the songs of the latest Delerium album. This one took a good grip on me.

C

Chessie

Jeremy Soule on Pandora. Helps me stay in the fantasy writing mood and there's no better song than Minstrel's Lament.
[video=youtube_share;K-URrsISx-M]https://youtu.be/K-URrsISx-M[/video]

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I just bumped into Peter Gundry's music on youtube. Couldn't pass up on "1 Hour of Witch Fantasy Music | Dark, Light, Magical, Beautiful"
It seems to be mostly laid back and atmospheric, but with some more bombastic undertones/elements. It's the kind of music I'd expect you'd hear in a fantasy movie. It's not exactly my cup of tea, but I think it's something a lot of people here might enjoy.

I listen to music when I'm working on the computer, whether I'm writing fiction or software. Right now, I'm listening to the album Changesbowie by David Bowie. I love music from the 70s and 80s. I also love listening to contemporary pop music by female vocalists. I have a Last.fm account (user name: menslar), and as of now my most listened to artists (tracked since 2007) are: Rihanna, Fefe Dobson, Marina and the Diamonds, Lana Del Rey, The Pretty Reckless, The Ting Tings, Mya, Mandy Moore, Demi Lovato, The Donnas, Heart, Janet Jackson, and Waylon Jennings. :) Meg Myers, Halestorm and Grimes are rising on my Last.fm charts now; Art Angels is a current favorite album, and Kill v. Maim has quickly risen to become my 6th most-listened-to track overall.

My Last.fm library currently contains 3655 artists, all of which I've listened to at least once, amounting to almost a quarter of a million scrobbles since 2007. If you peruse the list of artists in my library, you'll find a good deal of country, some hip-hop and rnb and soul, some rock and metal (love listening to Type O Negative or Rob Zombie on occasion), blues and blues rock, southern rock, some j-pop (mostly older tracks, like Judy and Mary), a bit of ska (mostly No Doubt), and easy listening (like Johnny Mathis). I don't care for hard-core rap or classical music or opera.

Mostly I like listening to music that makes my feet tap, my knees jump, and my thumbs thump the desk when they aren't thumping the spacebar. I'm not paying attention to the lyrics. Typically the music I listen to when writing are songs that I'm already familiar with, or I'd be distracted.

psylenda

Acolyte
I like electronic stuff (not EDM) that has a groove. Currently I've been listening to Aphex Twin, Grimes, and Toro y Moi.

in high school I listened to all of Nirvana's discography obsessively.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Jeremy Soule on Pandora. Helps me stay in the fantasy writing mood and there's no better song than Minstrel's Lament.

Why do you do this Chesterama, I'm supposed to be writing a paper. Now I just want to play Oblivion again.

This is my favorite.