• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What do you listen to?

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I've posted my most-played music for 2017 on my blog, if anyone is interested. I listen to the same kind of music whatever I'm doing, whether I'm writing fiction or software or I'm just listening for fun.

Great idea. I don't use last.fm, and I didn't make a blog post, but maybe I should. Spotify did a wrap up though, and my five top tracks for the year are as follows:

1. Empathy Test - Here is the Place
2. Equador - Blood
3. Hybrid - Break My Soul
4 - Tigerforest - Pacific Coast Highway 2017
5. Vibrasphere - Ensueno

It's all electronic, but at least the three top ones have not only vocals, but also both verse and chorus.
Here's the video for the top song:

Chessie2

Staff
Article Team
In the office [which I share] I often use noises.online to block out the hubub of people. There is another site that does train tracks but I can't find the address atm. I find train tracks very relaxing and just enough of a distraction to let me write.
White noise is awesome. I find that ambient music is pretty much gold for me when I need to concentrate. Video games have the best quality music for this task (Sim City + Skyrim woop woop!).

Saw Blind Guardian a couple years ago. I plan to see Iced Earth this spring.

I'm itching to get to one of their shows. Shame I don't think they come 'round my neck of the woods very often. I may have to travel when I do it, but by the gods, I will.

I hear they're working on new material for a Demons and Wizards album. I'm as hyped for that as people got for Harry Potter films. It's a shame that what few record stores are around are unlikely to do a midnight launch for it, and that attempts to wear a costume might very well be mistaken for Dark Tower cosplay, which wouldn't be far off the mark, but would misinterpret my purpose.

Blind Guardian and Demons and Wizards are the kings of progressive power metal. Long may they rein!

I'm ringing in the new year with this on blast.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I'll offer this up. The Internet Archive has an incredible array of music. I did a search on downtempo, chill, and ambient and got a whole armful of hour-long mixes. All free, most downloadable. You can enter your own search strings. And music is but a fraction of what that treasure chest holds.

Internet.org

(btw, the history of that project is fascinating)

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I'll offer this up. The Internet Archive has an incredible array of music. I did a search on downtempo, chill, and ambient and got a whole armful of hour-long mixes. All free, most downloadable. You can enter your own search strings. And music is but a fraction of what that treasure chest holds.

Internet.org

(btw, the history of that project is fascinating)
Are you sure that's the correct URL? I'm not seeing anything about music or downloads there.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Doctor Faustus

Have you heard any of the newest Iced Earth? Not bad:

I think Jon Shaffer of Iced Earth writes a lot of the Demons and Wizards music. With them going on tour right now I hope that won't slow things down, if a new project is in the works.

Tom

Istar
I found Sam's Town by The Killers for 50 cents at a thrift store, so I've been listening to that a lot lately. When You Were Young was one of my favorite songs when I was 12-13.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Are you sure that's the correct URL? I'm not seeing anything about music or downloads there.
Sure. Just enter a genre or a band or whatever. Or, here's a more filtered link
Download & Streaming : Audio Archive : Internet Archive
and here's what you get when you search for downtempo ambient (I know, what's uptempo ambient?)
Internet Archive Search: downtempo ambient

I gave the top level so if people wanted to wander down other alleys, they could. The place has a vast collection of images, videos, texts, even websites.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I gave the top level so if people wanted to wander down other alleys, they could. The place has a vast collection of images, videos, texts, even websites.
Sorry to be bringing this up again, but the link in your original post says internet.org, while in this post you link to archive.org. I gt it figured out eventually, but it was quite confusing at first. :)