• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What is more important? Plot, or storytelling ability?

Ideally, or theoretically, these two elements would work in conjunction, in perfect harmony with one another, but it’s not always the case. And what’s more important?

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
To me, this is kind of like asking which is more important the left or right wing on the plane.

They both don't have to be perfectly balanced, but there has to be a minimal level reached in each in order to tell an engaging story., Someone who may be an incredible plotter still needs a minimal level of story telling skill, and someone who is an incredible story teller still needs a minimal ability to develop a plot. And as long as you have the minimal skill in either, the lack of skill on one side of things can be made up by great skill on the other side.

To me, this is kind of like asking which is more important the left or right wing on the plane.

They both don't have to be perfectly balanced, but there has to be a minimal level reached in each in order to tell an engaging story., Someone who may be an incredible plotter still needs a minimal level of story telling skill, and someone who is an incredible story teller still needs a minimal ability to develop a plot. And as long as you have the minimal skill in either, the lack of skill on one side of things can be made up by great skill on the other side.
So you’re suggesting that one can be bolstered by the other?

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
I'll diverge from the consensus and say storytelling ability is far more important. A story with a poor plot will be lackluster, but a story that is told by someone who can't tell a story is a pain to read. The former leaves you disappointed, while the latter will be an active bother.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
So you’re suggesting that one can be bolstered by the other?

IMHO, being able to write isn't just about one or two skills. It's about the package of skills one possesses working together. Again, there has to be a minimum level to each skill but after that, it's about using them together effectively to produce something engaging.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
I'll diverge from the consensus and say storytelling ability is far more important. A story with a poor plot will be lackluster, but a story that is told by someone who can't tell a story is a pain to read. The former leaves you disappointed, while the latter will be an active bother.
I'm with Ban on this.
I might even go further... Yes, you would like both to be done well but, a plain story well told is far better that a great story, badly told.
Maybe I watch to much network TV but when I find a show that has great dialogue and good acting, I can forgive formulaic stories.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I dont know. As many have/will say, its good to have both, and perhaps even more.

I think the thing that burns inside me is a desire to tell the story. When its all said and done, I want them to like the story, and recommend it to their friends and kids and grandkids :) I dont get to the keyboard with a feeling of....'man, I type out some good prose, I think everyone needs to see that.' But....I wanted to get good at the prose to tell the story in my own voice and tell it well. So...I am hoping that is the something extra that helps win it all the accolades, and lead to a string of debates long after I'm gone....Was he a better story teller? or better writer?

If in the annuls of time they come and dig up this post, I am going to say I think my plane has two large wings, but it leans a little to the story one.

iu

Here's the image. Story first, but then you gotta lift the prose wing up ;)

Last edited:
I dont know. As many have/will say, its good to have both, and perhaps even more.

I think the thing that burns inside me is a desire to tell the story. When its all said and done, I want them to like the story, and recommend it to their friends and kids and grandkids :) I dont get to the keyboard with a feeling of....'man, I type out some good prose, I think everyone needs to see that.' But....I wanted to get good at the prose to tell the story in my own voice and tell it well. So...I am hoping that is the something extra that helps win it all the accolades, and lead to a string of debates long after I'm gone....Was he a better story teller? or better writer?

If in the annuls of time they come and dig up this post, I am going to say I think my plane has two large wings, but it leans a little to the story one.

iu

Here's the image. Story first, but then you gotta lift the prose wing up ;)
Are you saying in a roundabout way that the storytelling ability is more important than a solid plot?

I agree with those who say story telling is more important than plotting. When I think of my DNF books it is a list of those whose storytelling was sub par despite some interesting plot ideas (as far as my limited sample could tell).

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Oh. I was somehow confused on the topic. Seems to me, getting plot right goes along with being a good story teller.

I would suspect those good at telling stories have an innate abilty to plot, evem if its on the fly.

Plot seems under the umbrella of story telling, not the other way around. If you cant tell a story, who cares if you can plot.

If the plot were a house, then if it had good bones and was structurally sound, then the interiors could sing, and be decorated well.

But if the plot is a house with rising damp and a hole in the roof, does the pretty interiors make up for the mould on the walls?

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I would say storytelling is more important. There are some writers who can make everyday events sound fascinating.

But plot is still very important, and a big part of what makes a book work.

But, take the brainpower you spend making a masterful plot, and apply it at the chapter and scene level, to keep the interest going throughout.

Incanus

Auror
The two aspects may not be entirely separate from one another, which is why Penpilot's airplane wings is a good analogy.

My one and only completed novel had better prose than plot and character, but the plot and character side of things turned out less than the required minimum. That plane was never ever going to be able to take off. Thus, it will sit in a hangar for stripping spare parts off of, if that.

The two aspects may not be entirely separate from one another, which is why Penpilot's airplane wings is a good analogy.

My one and only completed novel had better prose than plot and character, but the plot and character side of things turned out less than the required minimum. That plane was never ever going to be able to take off. Thus, it will sit in a hangar for stripping spare parts off of, if that.
Are we back onto planes? The plane analogy would sit in line with the original post where I say, ‘Ideally, or theoretically, these two elements would work in conjunction, in perfect harmony with one another.’ So, are they both equally as important as one another?

Incanus

Auror
Are we back onto planes? The plane analogy would sit in line with the original post where I say, ‘Ideally, or theoretically, these two elements would work in conjunction, in perfect harmony with one another.’ So, are they both equally as important as one another?
I suppose I'm not entirely sure about that. But I'd say they both need to be handled well, or the story will, at best, feel off, or just fail to work well.

For my first novel, if I had just worked on polishing up the prose until it was near-perfect, it still would have failed due to the problems with plot/character. So, I'd say there should be some kind of balance between the two, even if one element is stronger than the other.

Mad Swede

Auror
In my view you need both. But you should bear in mind that storytelling is a combination of prose, characterisation and dialogue. All three need to be good for the storytelling to be good. The plot? If you're writing a novel then you need a good plot, sufficient sub-plots and clear story arcs to give the story depth. For short stories the plot needs are different, and the focus is much more on the story arc.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
What is storytelling ability? Do you mean a good prose style? Masterful pacing? Characterization?

To me, storytelling is a separate art. There are lots of folks who can tell a good story but who could never write a novel. Storytelling is close to oral traditions, but can be written, in which case it usually comes out as anecdote.

This is why I ask for clarification on the term, because people seem to be putting their own spin on the term.