• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What is the make up of a leader? What makes them real?

I agree with you there Lord Darkstorm, to a degree. Certainly the way a leader operates is different but the principle that dictates the action should be the same. For example a military leader would need courage. This may mean he would have to charge an army to inspire his troops. A politician would have to introduce an unpopular but ultimately good piece of legislation and risk his political career in the process, or in some extreme cases his life. Two different operations both based on the courage of a leader.

Similarly, a military leader would need to know what his troops abilities are and know when to retreat and when to stand. Further a politician would need to know that he lacks knowledge in a certain area of legislating and would need to ask some questions and gain an education of the subject area.

On the military side, yes, but any politician today seems to only have courage when it's election time. I think there is more desperation than courage though. I would also think that anyone leading a group of highly intelligent people would benefit more from a healthy supply of patience over courage. :D

Jess A

Archmage
On the military side, yes, but any politician today seems to only have courage when it's election time. I think there is more desperation than courage though. I would also think that anyone leading a group of highly intelligent people would benefit more from a healthy supply of patience over courage. :D

-chuckle- Indeed.

----

Leadership comes in all shapes and sizes, I think. Everybody assumes the role of leader at some point in their lives, whether it is because your teacher in school said 'everybody take turns', or because life has thrust you there in work, in group situations, in the military, as a politician or a social leader (etc).

But what of leaders who aren't leading a battle, or some other form of life or death situation? What about the political battles that happen in courts that normally don't end in death, but loss of favor or reputation? Being more devious, or skilled at manipulating others will have far more value in that area.

My point is that a leader in one situation can fail in another. The skills needed for a good leader depends on who they are trying to lead.

But what of leaders who aren't leading a battle, or some other form of life or death situation? What about the political battles that happen in courts that normally don't end in death, but loss of favor or reputation? Being more devious, or skilled at manipulating others will have far more value in that area.

My point is that a leader in one situation can fail in another. The skills needed for a good leader depends on who they are trying to lead.

Indeed, one need look no further than A Game of Thrones to find a leader (Robert Baratheon) who was a fierce, nigh-unstoppable warrior and conqueror, easily able to seize the throne, but was an absolutely lousy ruler once he had it.

In fact a lot of ASOIAF is about people being unsuited for the roles they end up in. Cersei's an excellent schemer but lacks the benevolent touch to be a beloved ruler; Tyrion is incredibly clever and manages to make people like him despite the fact that he's a dwarf and a Lannister, but he sabotages himself by not keeping his mouth shut, and by underestimating his enemies' ruthlessness. Jon Snow is highly moral, and easily manipulated, until he tries to override those who would manipulate him -- but he misapprehends how much his actions piss off vested interests. Etc. Danaerys is incredibly impatient, and doesn't really know how to make or carry out long-term plans. Robb Stark is a strategic genius and inspires men to follow him, but he's young and starts thinking with his dick, which gets him in trouble.

Being more devious, or skilled at manipulating others will have far more value in that area.
trying to lead.

"All warfare is based on deception." Sun Tzu

Manipulation in war is admittedly different but it is still manipulation. The way one deceives in war is different than in politics but again I would argue that the principle remains true.

Helen

Inkling
Just how many traits do you think would be important to a leader and what traits would be important enough to make that leader into a hero?

I think your confusing leadership with heroism and "hero."

If I'm reading your question right, you just need somebody with an ability that puts her into a decision-maker role who then makes the right choice.

Jess A

Archmage
I think your confusing leadership with heroism and "hero."

If I'm reading your question right, you just need somebody with an ability that puts her into a decision-maker role who then makes the right choice.

Making the 'right choice' may not be seen as 'heroism' by the majority of those under the leader's command/protection, even if it is for the greater good.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Devor that's a bit of an axiom at least in my mind and would therefore go without saying, but you are right.

It's just that you'd be amazed how many times leaders are chosen for traits like empathy and humility who don't end up having the slightest idea what they're doing.

I had to take courses on leadership and organizational development in college, and my wife works in an HR department, and every once in a while I still pick up Harvard Business Review, so I hear a lot about this kind of stuff. The reality is that once you've narrowed down the list of competent individuals, you're usually down to just a couple of people.

Leadership is hard, but the biggest barrier to entry is just understanding the subject matter. There are so many bad leaders because there are so few people who can handle just the work which comes with it.

Last edited: