1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

What kind of fantasy do YOU write?

Discussion in 'Writing Discussions' started by WeilderOfTheMonkeyBlade, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Mythopoet

Mythopoet Auror

I write mythopoeic fantasy. (Hence my username.) That basically means there's a strong emphasis on creating a mythology for my imaginary world. I do not use traditional fantasy races as such, but my world is peopled with a variety of beings. I like to deal with the metaphysical and there is a strong thread of both philosophy and theology in my writing. I like writing about gods and devils and everything in between. I take inspiration from various world mythologies, most notably ancient Egypt, as well as belief systems such as classical Greek philosophy, neoplatonism, and hermeticism.

2. Caged Maiden

Caged Maiden Staff Article Team

I write tortured souls. Average people who must overcome their various flaws to accomplish extraordinary things. While none of it equates to saving the world, I like to explore those things that most make us human. Family, love, secrets, duty, and fear. I torture my characters and give them the happy ending they often earned but didn't realize they wanted. For me, it's a challenge to break them first, then to build them up through their journeys.

I'm a sucker for love stories and while I would like to think I write a sort of romantic fantasy hybrid... that only flies if you like a little grit in your romance or romance in your grit... because I like to keep it real. As real and as raw as I can manage.

In my fantasy world, fairies are blue-blooded freaks created by the gods to annoy elves and elves are agoraphobic mages who don't have a use for humanity. Humans? Oh those are easy... just like us--but maybe more flawed than we want to believe. I like to throw dragons and werewolves into the mix, but I connected them through a goddess they both serve.

In other books, I like to keep the fantasy a bit locked away, relying on plain people to tell a story, whether that's sword fights in a dark alley or an Oliver Twist-type character with a knack for working on steam fittings. I like to play with all of it and see where it takes me. Basically, I don't have a comfort zone and the more I stray from what it once might have been, the more fun I have.

3. KingoftheAndals

KingoftheAndals Scribe

I write dark gritty fantasy filled with political intrigue and war told through various character viewpoints. I take inspiration from various real life events and keep magic as a art lost to a forgotten time.