• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What kind of fantasy do YOU write?

Mythopoet

Auror
I write mythopoeic fantasy. (Hence my username.) That basically means there's a strong emphasis on creating a mythology for my imaginary world. I do not use traditional fantasy races as such, but my world is peopled with a variety of beings. I like to deal with the metaphysical and there is a strong thread of both philosophy and theology in my writing. I like writing about gods and devils and everything in between. I take inspiration from various world mythologies, most notably ancient Egypt, as well as belief systems such as classical Greek philosophy, neoplatonism, and hermeticism.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I write tortured souls. Average people who must overcome their various flaws to accomplish extraordinary things. While none of it equates to saving the world, I like to explore those things that most make us human. Family, love, secrets, duty, and fear. I torture my characters and give them the happy ending they often earned but didn't realize they wanted. For me, it's a challenge to break them first, then to build them up through their journeys.

I'm a sucker for love stories and while I would like to think I write a sort of romantic fantasy hybrid... that only flies if you like a little grit in your romance or romance in your grit... because I like to keep it real. As real and as raw as I can manage.

In my fantasy world, fairies are blue-blooded freaks created by the gods to annoy elves and elves are agoraphobic mages who don't have a use for humanity. Humans? Oh those are easy... just like us--but maybe more flawed than we want to believe. I like to throw dragons and werewolves into the mix, but I connected them through a goddess they both serve.

In other books, I like to keep the fantasy a bit locked away, relying on plain people to tell a story, whether that's sword fights in a dark alley or an Oliver Twist-type character with a knack for working on steam fittings. I like to play with all of it and see where it takes me. Basically, I don't have a comfort zone and the more I stray from what it once might have been, the more fun I have.

I write dark gritty fantasy filled with political intrigue and war told through various character viewpoints. I take inspiration from various real life events and keep magic as a art lost to a forgotten time.