• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

[2019] : What kind of laptop do you use to write on?

What is your brand of laptop(s)?

• Lenovo

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • HP

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Macbook (Apple)

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • ASUS

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Acer

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters

pmmg

Myth Weaver
You do know you can buy a battery for it, and then you don't have to worry if the cord gets unplugged?

I used to make sure I had a notebook with a serial port and a floppy for the longest time. In my profession, it comes up at times. But....now my PC is issued and not selected, so... I just have to make due. I do still have a floppy in my home PC, but I almost never turn it on anymore.

I also banged my notebook last night...but no damage. I think if I had a spindle drive and not an SSD one, it might have damaged the drive, but....crises averted.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
You do know you can buy a battery for it, and then you don't have to worry if the cord gets unplugged?

I used to make sure I had a notebook with a serial port and a floppy for the longest time. In my profession, it comes up at times. But....now my PC is issued and not selected, so... I just have to make due. I do still have a floppy in my home PC, but I almost never turn it on anymore.

I also banged my notebook last night...but no damage. I think if I had a spindle drive and not an SSD one, it might have damaged the drive, but....crises averted.
I know but replacement batteries cost more than the laptop is worth and I have the connection Duct taped in place. It not going anywhere ;)
I keep looking at laptop sales sites waiting for the right deal to appear. But don't tell it I said that!

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership

I'm just giggling at "floppy," now. I remember back to cassette tapes and thinking coding Pong in Ascii was big stuff. :D

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I know but replacement batteries cost more than the laptop is worth and I have the connection Duct taped in place. It not going anywhere ;)
I keep looking at laptop sales sites waiting for the right deal to appear. But don't tell it I said that!

Your laptop, of course, but the battery is not to make the laptop better, its to protect you from losing your work if the cable moves. I see them for like $15.00 on ebay, depending on the model.

Well, I had cassettes on my commodore VIC 20, and I can still recall the first time pulled a 1.44 out of box and was like--WTF is this? I had only ever seen 1.25 floppy disks. And I was a disappointed shopper that day.

But, when I used to travel around and fix networks, I'd still run into the older stuff. We had an old proliant server at my last place that served as the Network Fax machine. It needed a floppy disk to run the Smart Start on it. (if you dont know, its not worth knowing), but I had to have one. Also had to have one in my forensics lab, cause sometimes, things were old and on floppies. What can you do?

What I hated? Mac's. Sorry, but glad I am not working with those anymore.

BearBear

Archmage
I have a dell alienware, it was like 4500 but it works for my games pretty well. I had to detune it to keep it from overheating though. It's got a keyboard and every letter of the alphabet. So it works for writing too I guess.

I will probably get a desktop next because it's hard to work on and the overheating thing inherent with laptops. I only write at home anyway. What do I need a laptop for? I have three others I don't use.