1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

[2019] : What kind of laptop do you use to write on?

Discussion in 'Writing Discussions' started by v_legolas_gleaf, Sep 10, 2019.

What is your brand of laptop(s)?

1. Lenovo

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. HP

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Macbook (Apple)

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. ASUS

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  5. Acer

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. v_legolas_gleaf

v_legolas_gleaf Scribe

As of 2019, what kind of laptops does everyone use to write their articles / stories on? I'm curious to know as I might get a new laptop for writing myself down the line.

All inputs and replies will be appreciated! :happy::cat:

2. Insolent Lad

Insolent Lad Sage

Asus Aspire, which I do not particularly recommend—rather dislike the keyboard. I never intended to do serious writing on a laptop but it's sometimes nice to ensconce myself in the recliner and work on it.

3. Vaporo

Vaporo Sage

Dell G7. Bought it because I like games and want a computer that will last a while without slowing down. No major complaints, but it occasionally freezes at random and has sharp corners that dig into my arms if I try to rest them on the edges. For writing I'd prefer a mechanical keyboard, but I'm fine with the laptop keyboard.

v_legolas_gleaf and Sheilawisz like this.
  4. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

MacBook Pro. It’s a good computer.

5. I use a Macbook. No complaints. Track pad can be a little touchy depending on the angle I am writing at.

6. ThinkerX

ThinkerX Myth Weaver

I must be one of the last people left who uses an old school PC, complete with tower. Literally wore the paint off some of the letters on the keyboard.

7. A. E. Lowan

A. E. Lowan Forum Mom Leadership

I own three HP laptops which are great, but for serious writing I use a Skytech Archangel desktop gaming computer named Morningstar. I've never tried writing on my phone, but I have Office loaded up on it and it should work.

v_legolas_gleaf likes this.
  8. Penpilot

Penpilot Staff Article Team

Asus touchscreen laptop/tablet combo. It's a good laptop, but ummm probably more power than I actually need for just writing. :p

9. Ankari

Ankari Hero Breaker Moderator

LG Gram.

Very light computer with a long-lasting battery.

10. Miles Lacey

Miles Lacey Sage

I rotate between pen and paper and my ASUS laptop.

11. v_legolas_gleaf

v_legolas_gleaf Scribe

You named your computer Morningstar? :D

Night Gardener likes this.
  12. v_legolas_gleaf

v_legolas_gleaf Scribe

I prefer a mechanical keyboard myself. Now gotta save up to buy one! :LOL::D:p

13. Malik

Malik Archmage

Asus Zenbook, but I usually hook it up to a large monitor and a mechanical keyboard.

Fortress of Solitude.jpg

14. A. E. Lowan

It's an archangel, isn't it? :D

15. A. E. Lowan

Always so nice and organized, like my wife's. Mine always looks like a tornado hit it. :p

Malik likes this.
  16. Mithnen

Mithnen Acolyte

That's cool! After Lucifer perchance (not the series, that was his title before the fall)

17. Mithnen

Mithnen Acolyte

Well, I freely admit that I'm a little strange. I make my own books which I then handwrite my stories in and then using Speech-to-Text software I transfer them to my laptop. It's a Toshiba and I have no idea how old it is.

18. A. E. Lowan

The one and only.

19. skip.knox

skip.knox toujours gai, archie Moderator

Pretty much any laptop will handle what a writer wants, so it's really more about more subjective things, such as how the keyboard feels. I definitely would recommend against buying a computer without first getting hands on. I'm a touch typist, and the small things do make a difference. The loss of a 10-key, for example, also means I can no longer type Windows alt-character strings to get foreign language symbols. The Lenovo I just bought made the perverse choice of requiring me to hold down the Fn key to access cursor movements like Home and End, PgUp and PgDn. Similarly, they chose to make media controls the default on the Function keys. So, F2 turns down volume. I have to do Fn-F2 to do a rename. I will be more careful next time to take note of what I as a writer regularly want to do on my keyboard.

Of course, for extended writing, I go to my desktop, with its full, mechanical keyboard, better screen, better seat (no small consideration!), and so on. The laptop is more for other things, such as writing forum posts about laptops.

v_legolas_gleaf and A. E. Lowan like this.
  20. Vaporo

Vaporo Sage

During bootup you can usually change a setting so that the instead you have to press fn to adjust volume and home/end/f1/etc. are the default:
    https://www.howtogeek.com/235351/ho...unction-keys-are-f1-f12-keys-or-special-keys/

skip.knox likes this.