• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What's in these names?

Reilith

Sage
Oh yes, the game is on!
Jackary Cheiss - army man, newly assigned to his troup. A real fun guy. Likes dice and ladies, but has no luck with either. Freckled and ginger, some say he turns to humour because he is hiding the fact he has no soul. Secretly wants just be loved(and rule the world).
Connor Fectionary - a very famous tailor for the nobility. Very short, balding, with a thick moustache, a bit eccentric. Has a thing for young boys.
Wankers Dumboll - warden of the far-away prison. Very calm and friendly, until somebody tries to call him by his first name. Has a collection of bowls.
Mr. Danklaw - hired assassin that can only be contacted via old lady at the Racketty in. Does the dirtiest jobs for a solid fee. Is of asian descent and knows how to kill in over 1436 ways.

Sent from my HTC Desire 820 using Tapatalk

bdcharles

Minstrel
Pikeman Glaive

Jerk Salmon

Eldridge Wetnyrse

So often I end up coming up with names, which then inspires me to develop characters to attach them to. Here are some recent examples. And, just for funsies, I'd like to know what people think of when they read these names. What kind of person do you imagine Pikeman Glaive, Jerk Salmon and Eldridge Wetnyrse being?

Pikeman Glaive: Pikeman is his title, for starters, not his name. He is a low-ranking knight, strong of arm and feeble of ambition, but not a bad sort. A good third-, fourth-, fifth-lvel wingman who will probably die ;)

Jerk Salmon: this is not a person, it is food.

Eldridge Wetnyrse: this is a comedic character who, despite harboring some magical abilities, always gets left holding the baby. I mean literally, holding the baby, as if he or she didn't know any better, as if he/she had never even graduated from magic school.

Jackary Cheiss a clean-cut, well dressed individual. He's a proper gentleman and thief. When it comes to the ladies, first he steals their hearts, and second he steals their jewels.

Connor Fectionary a young man who is the heir to the family fortune, although he'd rather be living outside of high society.

Wankers Dumboll a bumbling old man who tries to make a living as a tinkerer and inventor. People aren't sure if he's off because of his old age, or if he's just crazy.

Mr. Danklaw a shrewd businessman who puts profit above all, even his own family.

Pikeman Glaive A young officer of the law with a quick wit and a refusal to see the corruption around him. Very by the book.

Jerk Salmon An tall, strong older man with a knack for crime. The leader of a powerful street gang who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty. Bald with white mutton chops.

Eldridge Wetnyrse A lanky individual who makes a living as a doctor. Mostly works as the private physician to the upper class members of society.

(I realized that due to all of the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle that I've been reading, my interpretations are coming out as characters in a Victorian England detective story :p )

Bruce McKnight

Troubadour
Watts Updog - a streetwise young man from present day, bearing a striking resemblance to an extra from Fresh Prince of Bel Air, unwittingly transported back in time where he is captured and sold into the servitude of the actual Prince of Belair. He must use his outlandish tales of the future (played off as mere imagined tales of entertainment, lest he be accused of witchcraft) and stuttered musical limericks to gain favor in the court while he searches for a way home. Just when it seems all hope is lost, a familiar-looking stranger arrives at court in odd clothes...

Tispitt Ford - a ranger guide who helps lost merchants find their way through the wilds. Refusing payment with a false show of chivalry, he steals just enough from those he helps to make it worth his while, but not so much that it would be noticed. He also runs illicit goods across borders, using the caravans he guides as unwitting mules and potential fall guys. Just after he finishes an especially daring job, smuggling outlawed pebbleberries into Harsham on an unsuspecting cotton caravan, one of the sellswords approaches him with an offer that sounds too good to be true...

Lyca Lay - an old courtesan, clinging to fading, but distinguished beauty. Her dark hair is showing strands of age behind the ears and her softening skin has the faintest hint of wrinkles appear at dusk at the edges of her eyes and lips. Though she gains gifts and affection from many men, she never finds true love. She denies her feelings, but secretly craves a family, leading her to pick up and care for a number of orphans over the years. As she grows older, she fears that she will no longer have the appeal to draw enough gifts to keep her orphans fed. However, as the orphans grow older, they devise a plan with the intention of helping her, but their plan ends up doing anything but helping...

Gryphos

Auror
Charles "Chuck" Winchester

Charles is the kind of guy who wants people to think he's some kind of cool lone ranger type. He puts a lot of effort into his moustache, and always carries around a set of reeds ready to chew between his teeth while he rides into town. Thing is, he's actually a crap shot, but he's so good at convincing people he's a badass that no one's ever challenged him.

Malik

Auror
"Pikeman Glaive" reminds me of "Dirk Steele."

It's also reminiscent of "Slam Squatthrust" and "Biff Benchpress" which the robots came up with on an episode of MST3K, I forget which one.

I'd use it as a pejorative nickname for a character. "Ol' 'Pikeman Glaive' over there. . ."

It would be especially funny if the character had, say, knocked over a rack of poleaxes and either nearly killed someone, or inadvertently killed a badguy, in the process.

Last edited:
Erwin E. Erwindaughter: I see an elven maiden with long, golden, and braided hair.

Hunter Butcher: I see a butcher with a butcher knife and white apron with dried blood speckling the apron.