• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What's your genre?

My books are all over the place: fantasy, hints of sci-fi without the science, mythological, supernatural, romance, and bits of horror here and there. The only thing missing is cowboys. :p

Oooh, cowboys. I do have at least one Fantasy Western sort of attempt at a story. Though dwelling in the Weird West would be a fun little romp.

Gurkhal

Auror
I tend to write Low Fantasy with the less magic, the better. This is because I have come to realize that magical systems, kewl powerz and stuff are not very interesting. Characters interacting in a historical enviroment are much more interesting than throwing fireballs or lightning. But I find that historical fiction demands way to much detailed research before I can put my characters into the story and that a fixed historical timeline limits me to where I can take my characters. So Fantasy it is.

Thoras

Minstrel
I tend to write Low Fantasy with the less magic, the better. This is because I have come to realize that magical systems, kewl powerz and stuff are not very interesting. Characters interacting in a historical enviroment are much more interesting than throwing fireballs or lightning. But I find that historical fiction demands way to much detailed research before I can put my characters into the story and that a fixed historical timeline limits me to where I can take my characters. So Fantasy it is.

That's neat, every single word you said could've been said by me as well. This is pretty much the majority of what I like to do, apart from the fact that historical fiction would hinder me with the research, I do also like world building (though this sometimes hinders me too because it can be extremely time-consuming). I do try to implement some fantastical elements as well, but tend to keep them small. Might have to explore those elements a bit in the future to diverse myself, but right now I'd say Low Fantasy for me too.

Just curious: Have you read Mistborn: The Final Empire, and if so, did you find its magic system and kewl powerz uninteresting?

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
My primary focus is epic/high fantasy, but I’m also dabbling in noir mob crime thriller, modern vampire comedy, and western... my poor brain.

Russ

Istar
I am an artist and I reject all notions of genre or other unfair limitations or labels inflicted on my creations!

Just kidding.

I am working on a feminist high fantasy quartet, and hopefully the first book in a thriller series with fantasy elements.

And you people all need to write more westerns. I love westerns!

Gurkhal

Auror
Just curious: Have you read Mistborn: The Final Empire, and if so, did you find its magic system and kewl powerz uninteresting?

No, I'm afraid I haven't read Misborn. :(

Short text on my views on the subject of magic in fantasy below.

I've read Tolkien, Wheel of Time (about half anyway...), most of what David Eddings has writen in Fantasy, Katherine Kerr (most of what she's written at least), parts of what Robin Hobb has written and more. And whenever it was magic I found it boring and in the way of the characters. The concept of the Aes Sedai was great, I was just bored about reading about their magic and wanted to read about them as characters and their interaction with each other and the rest of the world.

When I did find material that didn't have much magic in them, like the books about Mara of Acoma (loved those books due to an non-Western setting and due to them not having much magic in them!) or historical fiction, I found myself relived that there was no magic to get in the way of the characters but that they could develop and interact with each other more on a human level.

And maybe its just me, but I personally think that many Fantasy authors uses magic in a way I don't agree with. To me magic is a spice that can be sparsely applied to give a hightened taste of a character or story. But its never a main ingredient to the story or the setting in itself. Let the characters, relations and interactions be the main ingredients.

Thoras

Minstrel
No, I'm afraid I haven't read Misborn. :(

Short text on my views on the subject of magic in fantasy below.

I've read Tolkien, Wheel of Time (about half anyway...), most of what David Eddings has writen in Fantasy, Katherine Kerr (most of what she's written at least), parts of what Robin Hobb has written and more. And whenever it was magic I found it boring and in the way of the characters. The concept of the Aes Sedai was great, I was just bored about reading about their magic and wanted to read about them as characters and their interaction with each other and the rest of the world.

When I did find material that didn't have much magic in them, like the books about Mara of Acoma (loved those books due to an non-Western setting and due to them not having much magic in them!) or historical fiction, I found myself relived that there was no magic to get in the way of the characters but that they could develop and interact with each other more on a human level.

And maybe its just me, but I personally think that many Fantasy authors uses magic in a way I don't agree with. To me magic is a spice that can be sparsely applied to give a hightened taste of a character or story. But its never a main ingredient to the story or the setting in itself. Let the characters, relations and interactions be the main ingredients.

I just have to interfere here once more, you really should read Mistborn! I envy you, as I can never read it for the first time, again... The book is fantastic, and like you I don't like too much magic - but the magic system in Mistborn is so well planned out, and has their strengths and limitations clearly mapped out so eventually it becomes just as an extension of the humans natural abilities - you learn to see "ah, in this scenario the character can do this or that", if you get what I mean. Brandon Sanderson is a genius when it comes to magic systems in my humble opinion. :D

Gurkhal

Auror
I just have to interfere here once more, you really should read Mistborn! I envy you, as I can never read it for the first time, again... The book is fantastic, and like you I don't like too much magic - but the magic system in Mistborn is so well planned out, and has their strengths and limitations clearly mapped out so eventually it becomes just as an extension of the humans natural abilities - you learn to see "ah, in this scenario the character can do this or that", if you get what I mean. Brandon Sanderson is a genius when it comes to magic systems in my humble opinion. :D

I'll try to slot it in and give it a short. But I can't promise when it will be. :(

LWFlouisa

Troubadour
I mean I'm not against magic per say, but I can see why Sanderson created the Sanderson laws of magic. Though I personally don't think it goes far enough.

When I wrote science fiction, to me interstellar space travel is not Hard Scifi. By extension, for fantasy, I primarily write what I call "Ghost In The Wires" which is distinct from urban fantasy, in only including elements of Magic Realism in a Cyberpunk setting instead of blantant Orc mingling with humans.

It therefore splits from works like Shadowrun, being closer to a Futuristic 100 years of solitude.

I tried low fantasy a few years ago but sadly didn't get past the worldbuilding with it, but if I wanted to go the "medieval-esque fantasy" that would be the route (essentially avoiding a thought-out magic system).

Now I've got more time on my hands I'm working on (and intending to stick at) something that is mostly soft sci-fi with some elements that could be considered low or contemporary fantasy, though that balance may end up tipping in the next few weeks as I continue worldbuilding and researching.

In terms of the future and exploring other sub-genres of fantasy/science fiction, I have always wanted to take a look at cyberpunk, military sci-fi and possibly steampunk, probably because of the associated aesthetics. To be honest there's very little I wouldn't be interested in writing in the future - practically anything you could label "sci-fi" or "fantasy" sits well with me.

I came to this website initially because I wanted to write a high fantasy, but even with the help of this forum I couldn’t find a story I wanted to tell. I was still discovering myself in terms of my writing ability, and I now know that while straight fantasy isn’t off the table, my passion is elsewhere.

I like writing stuff that is intentionally genreless. A blend of character based drama, science fiction, horror, and the super natural. On top of that I wrap that all up in a surrealist package. And that, I think, is what I am first and foremost; a surrealist. Since I often go sci-fi and super natural route I continue to hope that I can post here, because I like the users and I like the website.

Also, I do world building as a side hobby, which usually is in writing so I guess that counts.

Corwynn

Troubadour
I've long been drawn to the steampunk genre. In more recent times I've branched out into other things beyond "vanilla" steampunk, but it is still there, lurking in the background. New Weird, Fantastic Noir, Gaslamp Fantasy, and the various -punk genres are what interest me. High or Low, Epic or intimate, either are fine with me, as long as they're well-written and have rich world-building.

I've developed a fascination with splicing things together in weird and exotic ways, whether that be cultures, technology/magic, or genres. Hybrids are the name of the game nowadays.

When it comes magic/technology systems (as with anything else), it needs to do one of two things: either it needs to conjure up an enticing mental image, or it needs to intrigue me with possible applications. Typical D&D style magic doesn't really do it for me because it doesn't evoke any unique imagery, nor do any particular implications or uses for it leap out at me.

Danavin

Acolyte
My first novel (or novels, as it was published in four parts) was pretty much Epic Fantasy
Did you self-publish your "novel" or was it traditionally published? My "novel" turned into four novels, or as I've been considering them more recently, one novel in four parts. I have hopes of seeing them traditionally published but think most publishers want first-time novelists to have a self-contained novel and not the first book in a series.

Danavin

Acolyte
I primarily write high fantasy (trying to finish the fourth and final book in my series) though I have a draft of what I'm calling a paranormal mystery lurking in my peripheral as well.

Yora

Maester
I'm pretty much all classic oldschool Sword & Sorcery. The good, introspective kind with weird supernatural elements, not the dumb brutes with a sword.
With elements of noir and use of techniques from horror, and a certain degree of honest, non-comedic pulpiness.

Gabriella

Dreamer
:facepalm::X3:Like so many here, I DON'T KNOW MY GENRE! And I don't mean to be contrary, I just sat down to write.
It's NOT fantasy in that there is nothing supernatural. But not so much science either.
It's New Adult soft sci-fi (I guess) alt-earth lit fic with a modernized medieval feel and a neurodivergent MC.
Can't market that; it's already an entire Tweet.
It isn't even alt-history 'cause I muddled up the geography. Finding comps is murder.
There's computer tech in a kingdom avoiding other innovations like mass-transport and mass-communication because it's polluted nations around them, but all that is only setting. My MC Messengers are like grad-students-meet-Jedi.

:facepalm::X3:Like so many here, I DON'T KNOW MY GENRE! And I don't mean to be contrary, I just sat down to write.
It's NOT fantasy in that there is nothing supernatural. But not so much science either.
It's New Adult soft sci-fi (I guess) alt-earth lit fic with a modernized medieval feel and a neurodivergent MC.
Can't market that; it's already an entire Tweet.
It isn't even alt-history 'cause I muddled up the geography. Finding comps is murder.
There's computer tech in a kingdom avoiding other innovations like mass-transport and mass-communication because it's polluted nations around them, but all that is only setting. My MC Messengers are like grad-students-meet-Jedi.

It still falls into spec-fic.