• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What's your genre?

Uhhhh

Most of my stories and ideas can be variously described as having elements of steampunk, dystopian, post-apocalyptic, and weird fiction. I guess The Story is considered epic or high fantasy...maybe? but like. really weird, and also with dystopian stuff, and with no resemblance to pseudo-european sword and sorcery nor any elves or dwarves. I love the 'punk subgenres: biopunk, steampunk, cyberpunk, et cetera. I'm going to get into alternate history and historical fantasy at some point. Probably mostly weird fiction though?

My current book is like a *very* gritty steampunk dystopia with some weird.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Oh, I love urban fantasy, because towns and cities are my favourite kind of worldbuilding, and I love, LOVE the sound of your saga. Switching genres is also so much fun, and I'll definitely hope to hear more about your epic fantasy here on MS. How many books are you planning for that series?
For the urban fantasy series, The Books of Binding (the first of which, Faerie Rising, is now available on Amazon), we currently have about 20 books planned, so it'll be a long-running series. As for the epic fantasy, it's most likely going to be a chunky trilogy. I just can't seem to write short. :D

For right now I mostly dwell in High and Science Fantasy. Try to throw in some humor from time to time. Have done Low Fantasy too. And Dystopian Sci-Fi. For right now mostly in a High Fantasy that deals in turning Fairy Tales all about and dealing with recovering from a war that's left the world in a post apocalyptic state. It drops into the Science Fantasy later on and becomes a bit of a generational saga too.

Hi,

I'm all over the show. Just in general I write fantasy, sci fi, space opera and angelic fiction. In fantasy itself I write high and epic, urban and steampunk.

Cheers, Greg.

I wish I could take credit; an ARC reader coined the term.

We'd talked about this in the Ivory Tower thread, but the short of it is that it was a natural outgrowth of the hands-on study and research I've put in, coupled with my love of technical thrillers--Clancy, Crichton, Cussler, Stephen Hunter, Lustbader, Larry Bond--and finding a kickass thriller editor.
Writing that includes special interests like that are always so much fun to read, that's the books one learns from. Thank you for the list of writers, this is perfect for the winter reading, and Hunters new book G-man definitely seems very interesting to me, I'll see if I can get hold that. :)

Hi,

I'm all over the show. Just in general I write fantasy, sci fi, space opera and angelic fiction. In fantasy itself I write high and epic, urban and steampunk.

Cheers, Greg.
That sounds like so much fun to play in all of those genres. And you ventured into sci-fi, wow, I'm still too chicken to go there. And you're a fellow steampunk-writer, yay! Writing a steampunk novel, that was the most fun I've ever had with a novel. What kind of steampunk do you write? British or American?

Crime fiction is my thing when it comes to prose. My poetic stuff goes wherever it wants to go.
I find crime so hard to write, so you have my immediate respect here. Poetry is very cool, but I'm so uneducated in it. Charlotte Mew inspired me to write some fantasy stories though. Thank you so much for sharing. :)

Reactions: Ban
Uhhhh

Most of my stories and ideas can be variously described as having elements of steampunk, dystopian, post-apocalyptic, and weird fiction. I guess The Story is considered epic or high fantasy...maybe? but like. really weird, and also with dystopian stuff, and with no resemblance to pseudo-european sword and sorcery nor any elves or dwarves. I love the 'punk subgenres: biopunk, steampunk, cyberpunk, et cetera. I'm going to get into alternate history and historical fantasy at some point. Probably mostly weird fiction though?

My current book is like a *very* gritty steampunk dystopia with some weird.
Oh, yeah, I can see why picking a genre would be hard for you, haha! Maybe it's an excellent opportunity to invent your own genres, because it sounds like they should have names. Super-interesting! I love the blending you have going, and I think genre boundaries are definitely there to be pushed, and genres themselves to be mixed and turned into new ones, that is so inspiring.

The -punk, yes! So much fun to pick from there. I love the sound of your gritty steampunk dystopia, it sounds wild, I'd love to hear more about that. I always see steampunk as an alternative history, so the leap into historical fantasy is a definite draw for me too. I recently got more interested in the Napoleonic wars, but the research is a bit daunting. Thank you so much for sharing your wild genre blending, it was so much fun to hear about, and totally inspiring! :)

For the urban fantasy series, The Books of Binding (the first of which, Faerie Rising, is now available on Amazon), we currently have about 20 books planned, so it'll be a long-running series. As for the epic fantasy, it's most likely going to be a chunky trilogy. I just can't seem to write short. :D
O, cool, I have to look that up. Wow, 20 books! That's incredible, and I hope you'll have a lot of success with them. Yeah, I hear you about writing short. I tried it, but I don't enjoy it the same way as novels. Thanks for answering, and the best of luck with the chunky trilogy! :)

For right now I mostly dwell in High and Science Fantasy. Try to throw in some humor from time to time. Have done Low Fantasy too. And Dystopian Sci-Fi. For right now mostly in a High Fantasy that deals in turning Fairy Tales all about and dealing with recovering from a war that's left the world in a post apocalyptic state. It drops into the Science Fantasy later on and becomes a bit of a generational saga too.
I love the sound of turning fairy tales around, that always peeks my interest, and mixing that with a post-apocalyptic world and science fantasy... Gosh, I'd pick that up so fast in a book shop. O, and a high five on throwing in humor! I hope you have a lot of fun working on your High Fantasy mix of awesomeness, and thank you so much for sharing that. :)

Mythopoet

Auror
My writing tends to be very Mythological in nature. But lately I have also been complicating it with elements of Alternate History and Far Future, Post Apocalyptic elements and Lovecraftian Horror. I don't really know what I would call it.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Fantasy. Always fantasy. Some epic, some historical, some "portal fantasy" (person from Earth ends up in a fantasy world), some focused on talking animals rather than humans or vampires or Fae, some retellings of older works (The Little Mermaid and The Hunchback of Notre Dame specifically)

Hi Noob,

There are different types of Steampunk? American and British? Never knew that. What's the difference?

Cheers, Greg.
Hi Greg. I think the difference is mostly just the location and their culture (and that the writers are influenced by works in other genres from that culture). But because the British Victorian Era and the American Wild West(Western Steampunk) are two of the most common settings in steampunk it's a good place to start asking questions. Although the answer can be very likely be: "Neither! It's on a planet in the Byron solar system which runs by clockwork." :D

But yeah, steampunk is also a place with some subgenres/ to play around in. Here's a list of some categories: Steampunk by any other name. But I usually just read about genres and subgenres as something to entertain and inspire me, and not as something I have to fit my story into. :)