• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Where are you from and....

Tagnizkur

Dreamer
....what is your favorite thing about it? I am not sure this was done before but really its quite simple with no stalker like overtones.

You say were your from. You can be general and Say NYC... I love it because of the Mets. Or you can be more precise. I am from a small town in NY called Schohaire. I love it because they do a great reenactment every year. Simple right?

I am from the Chicagoland area. I love it because I get a chance to walk along the rive rand the lake during lunch.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Leominster, MA, birthplace of Johnny Appleseed, plastics, and authors Robert Cormier and R.A. Salvatore.

To say I love the town… well… "love" is a strong word. So is "hate." My feeling is somewhere in the middle leaning toward one or the other depending on the aspect in question, but my wife appreciates what I take for granted, as life here is much quieter than in Hong Kong.

Gryphos

Auror
I'm from the UK, which I love for the NHS.
And I'm from London, which I love because of the cockney accent you still occasionally hear down the east end.

C

Chessie

Hi, I'm from Alaska. :D I live in the Anchorage municipality in a place called Bear Valley, which definitely lives up to its name.

I love Alaska with all of my heart, even though its a rough place to live. Reasons why: the majestic mountains, fresh alpine air, wildlife out in the open (bears in our yard), hiking that can be done literally out of our back door, orgasmic levels of beauty, friendly and welcoming people, a place where living off the land is possible, more hiking, a nurturing and mothering energy, isolation, a sense of adventure, a quiet place to live where connecting with nature is easy to do, the northern lights in the winter, snowshoeing across a silent winter landscape, reindeer sausage, smoked salmon and fresh fish, moose ribs!

Alaska is one of those places that you either love or hate. In between doesn't exist.

Last edited by a moderator:

Addison

Auror
I am living in a small town in north California. What I love about it is that it's surrounded by lakes, hiking trails and wild life.

But I'm making plans to go to Portland, Oregon. I have family there, I've been there a few times and love it. I love the city, how close everything is, the abundance of artists, cultures, not to mention it has a multi-story book store that takes up an entire block.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Kenai, Kenai Peninsula in Alaska. Grew up on a lakeside homestead at the literal end of the road, pretty much. Boating, skiing, snow machining, dirt bikes...plus things like carpentry and basic auto mechanics.

Older now, not quite as durable.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I live in Boise, Idaho. I'm not sure I can say where I'm from. I was born in Richland, Washington but I lived in many different places growing up. I attended twenty-six different schools. Between the ages of five and thirteen, the longest I lived anywhere was four months, the shortest was a week. My dad was a drummer and singer in night clubs.

I can claim a region--the Pacific Northwest. I love the green, the mountains, I even love the rain. I love that the land is so rich, the Native Americans in some regions threw parties in which the chief object was to give stuff away.

(Addision, I'm jealous. Powell's!)

Noma Galway

Archmage
I'm in a small town in southern Missouri, and I love it because A) my family's here and B)I like the college.

Fyle

Inkling
Born and raised in New York, about 30-40 minutes from NYC. I now live in Tokyo, Japan.

Been in Japan over 7 years now.

I'm older now too, time keeps on speeding up. lf anyone has any ideas on slowing it down, I'm open to suggestions.

In the countryside of Southern Missouri. My favorite thing would have to be the environment. It smells wonderful and the foliage is beautiful in spring and summer. not to mention the rivers.

Last edited:

SM-Dreamer

Troubadour
In the Bay Area, California. I love it 'cause... of the variety of landscape within driving distance (depending on how long of a road trip I want ;) ). Come this time of year, though, I miss the handful of years I lived up by Portland, Oregon - much cooler!

C

Chessie

Kenai, Kenai Peninsula in Alaska. Grew up on a lakeside homestead at the literal end of the road, pretty much. Boating, skiing, snow machining, dirt bikes...plus things like carpentry and basic auto mechanics.

Older now, not quite as durable.
Kalifornsky Beach Road? :D We're not too far from one another. If you ever come into Anchorage for the writing workshops let me know!

seems I might be the only European here :D. I'm from Denmark, Copenhagen (capital city), and I love it for its free health care, state support to students and its old 17th century buildings. Nature is virtually nonexistant though, so have to go to Sweden for that.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
I'm in Vancouver, Canada. Home of the rainy winters but beautifully sunny summers. Got the mountains to the north and the ocean to the east. I love being Canadian.

Ankari

Hero Breaker
This thread is an eye-opener. From the limited replies, two instances of forum members live near each other. Chesterama and ThinkerX in Alaska, Fyle and Philip Overby in Tokyo (to be fair, Philip didn't comment yet).

Anyway, I'm in SE Florida. The only reason to love this muggy, congested, high-cost-of-living metropolis is for the nights during winters. Oh, and the roads. I've traveled to other states (PA, GA, MI, IL, CA, AZ) and have yet to find roads as well-tended as ours. Arizona's comes close.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Kalifornsky Beach Road? We're not too far from one another. If you ever come into Anchorage for the writing workshops let me know!

Folks homestead is way north along the Kenai Spur Highway. I live in Kenai proper. I've not been to Anchorage in years. Last time was to change flights at the airport. Job keeps me pretty close, even as it grants me time to write.

Gryphos

Auror
Lvl20wizard said:
seems I might be the only European here . I'm from Denmark, Copenhagen (capital city), and I love it for its free health care

London, UK here. Free healthcare represent!

Asinya

Dreamer
I'm from Sweden, which I love because of the weather and the nature.
I'm from Mo, in Söderhamn, which I love because it is...pure magic little forest village <3 (not a big fan of Söderhamn itself though)

I haven't lived in Sweden for 7 years now and I miss it a lot.

Currently, I live in Ireland and before that I lived in France for 3.5 years.

Time to go home soon, I think :)