• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Where do you hang out?

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I've been in the writing community for several months now, ever since I decided to get serious about writing. One of the first things I did was compile a list of blogs, forums, etc. to read on a regular basis. I'm sure others have done the same and probably have posted their list, but I can't find any such.

So I'm asking here.

My principal reading comes from this forum (duh), from
sffchronicles Chronicles Network: Science Fiction & Fantasy
and from
fantasy-writers Fantasy-Writers.org | Your Journey Begins

There are many others, of course, but these are the three I've found to be most useful. Does anyone have other suggestions?

As for blogs, I have links to quite a few, but I find I don't really read them regularly. Instead, someone in the forums will mention a specific article and I'll bounce out to read that. Otherwise, however, I find the time I spend in the forums more than uses up my allocated time for daily reading.

Am I missing out on the blog front? I'm sure it's very much a matter of personal taste, but I'm open to suggestions.

And, finally, besides blogs and forums, what other community type places ought an interested writer visit? I'm on LinkedIn and Google+ but have both to be mostly a waste of time. Again, if you have one you think is important, I'd like to hear about it.

tia!

Scribble

Archmage
Blogs

Terrible Minds - Chuck Wendig's Blog is a favorite, language warning!

Blog « terribleminds: chuck wendig

The Editor's Blog - insightful writing tips

Editor's Blog

KM Weiland's Blog - Helping Writers become Authors - writing tips

Wordplay: Helping Writers Become Authors

Podcasts

The Reading and Writing Podcast - Interviews with authors about their work, process, success.

Reading And Writing Podcast — Interviews with authors and writers about their books, their writing habits, their favorite novels, and how they got started writing.

Cy Porter's Creative Writing Tutorials. He comes out with episodes fairly regularly. Most are on Youtube now. I rip them to my mp3 player for a listen. I like the way he thinks about creative writing.

Creative Writing Video Tutorials for The Multimedia Age: Intro to Subtext

Last edited:

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I'm so far only here and barely have time to keep up with all that goes on here. I guess as I get more involved with my writing I'll start branching out a little.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I hadn't even thought about podcasts. Now I have yet another medium to worry over! Great, Scribble. Real great. :)

I think my strategy is going to be to look at each medium (forums, blogs, podcasts [curse you!]) in turn, spending a few weeks or months tracking and winnowing until I get it down to a manageable few.

I have to be careful. The communities are great and it's a constant temptation to fiddle in the forum while the tome burns. (couldn't help myself)