• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

YA romance clichés?

In the most YA stories, there is a romance sub-plot. But no wonder! The reader of this genre often finds love in the puberty time. So, it’s a very interesting topic for them. However, it’s annoying to read the “same” story every time. (Just with other settings and other characters) I mean, there are always the same clichés. But if you wanna avoid them, you have to know them.

For example:

1. Protagonist’s love triangle. Well… Every time the protagonist (most a girl) has a secret boyfriend or fall in love with another awesome boy. Why? Why can’t have the protagonist no other boyfriend? But the love interest has another interest?

2. Click! Now you’re in love. Yep! Personality, I hate this at-the-first-moment-fall-in-love-story. It’s unrealistic! Even when studies say that the human need less than one minute to fall in love—it’s subconscious! So…

3. Mr. Tall and dark-haired Do I need say more?

So, do you know more clichés?

In the most YA stories, there is a romance sub-plot. But no wonder! The reader of this genre often finds love in the puberty time. So, it’s a very interesting topic for them. However, it’s annoying to read the “same” story every time. (Just with other settings and other characters) I mean, there are always the same clichés. But if you wanna avoid them, you have to know them.

For example:

1. Protagonist’s love triangle. Well… Every time the protagonist (most a girl) has a secret boyfriend or fall in love with another awesome boy. Why? Why can’t have the protagonist no other boyfriend? But the love interest has another interest?

2. Click! Now you’re in love. Yep! Personality, I hate this at-the-first-moment-fall-in-love-story. It’s unrealistic! Even when studies say that the human need less than one minute to fall in love—it’s subconscious! So…

3. Mr. Tall and dark-haired Do I need say more?

So, do you know more clichés?

Describing the hot dude as something like "cedar and wind" or "sandalwood and lemongrass" when there's no reason he should smell that way and it doesn't reveal anything about his hobbies or character.

I really hate the 'they're only 17 but will live happy ever after!"
How many people can say they are with there first love? Not many. And how many teens never know the heart break of ending it with that first love? Wouldn't it be better to write about a failed first romance. A puppy love. That seems more believable to me.

But I'm glad you said why can't the love interest of your main character have another love interest instead. Because I've done that lol

Hallen

Scribe
Yes, there are cliche romance plots. But, like most cliche, it's generally because they happen all the time. I think back to the dusty dark ages when I was in high school and I think they all happened. Love "triangles" (usually a girl who couldn't pick between two suitors), love at first sight (really, lust at first sight for the boys since getting laid was always in the forefront). Is tall-dark, need I say more, really that normal for a teen girl? Looks alone?

I think the biggest cliche is one of your MC's will be infatuated with the hot kid and will just be 'friends' with the other MC. And eventually the one sees the light and they fall in love, happily ever after, blah, blah, blah. It may be cliche, but it works every time if it's well executed.

I do think it's all in the execution when it comes to your story. The cliche will happen because it happens in real life. It really comes down to how you meld it into the story. It is always a driving factor for teenagers. I don't think you can get away with a YA novel without it playing some kind of role.

Just using a romance in YA is a cliche now, they all seem to have one because it is a part of teenage life I suppose. I wasn't as boy mad as other teens though. I had one drama though - I fancied a boy but didn't tell anyone as I was too embarrassed. I thought he liked me too, then he started dating a friend of mine so that put him out the window. But for three years I still liked him. His relationship with my friend only lasted a few months. But one night at a new year's eve party I got drunk, and confessed to liking him. He told his mate, his mate told my friend and half our year at school. She was pissed off and never spoke to me again, and everyone else took the mick because he didn't like me back. He would flirt with me though - and to this day I still like him though I hardly ever see him.

So you can add in romance but the whole love forever and both like each other isn't the only ending to a love story. Especially if it's only a sub-plot in your book.

K.S. Crooks

Maester
Being young, long-lived or immortal, beautiful, rich...Yet their life is sooooooo tough. As I call it the Angel Effect (As in Buffy and Angel).